Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Visiting Spain on UK Settlement visa

Hi. I would like to take Lampao to visit my sister and her husband in Malaga in September. Lampao has a 2 year UK settlement visa. Do we need to obtain any oher visa so that she can make this trip? I am assuming that as she has this settlement visa she can travel in and outof the uk without any problem. Thanks in advance, and apologies if I have put this in the wrong section.
    Ian

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

You'll need a schengen visa for your wife.
    Last edited by maokaang; 18th Jun 2010 at 12:27. Reason: Redundant quote of entire previous post removed

Apparently the German Embassy is on of the easiest places to obtain a Schengen Visa.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

"I am assuming that as she has this settlement visa she can travel in and outof the uk without any problem."

It's as Sumrit says a Schengen visa is need, and unfortunately for you your above assumption is far from correct. There's lots of information that can be searched on Schengen visa, but a brief summary is:-

1) The Schengen visa needs to be applied for at the Embassy of the Country you intend to make your main trip destination. eg you want to get the Ferry to France, stay there for a couple of days and then go to Germany for 3 days, then Spain for a week, you technically should apply to the Spanish Embassy.
    2) You don't need to complete all boxes on the form or show booking details as you will be getting the Schengen for the Spouse of an EU Citizen, also doing it this way means that the Spouse has to travel with the husband.
    3) You want to get the full 6 months and multi entry, this may involve the forward planning of future visits to make sure you get the 6 months multi entry, some places may only give for the time specified.
    4) As the Schengen is for the Spouse of an EU citizen it is free and should be expidited (nice if this were in reality the case) please see 5)....
    5) Spain are a complete pain in the posterier when it comes to applying for Schengens, it can take weeks/months and cost a lot for a free Visa in premium rate phone calls and trips to the Embassy. A lot of people would find dealing with the German Embassy a real pleasure and it can be done by post in a matter of days so I have heard. This is just a scenario for you:- Technically though you would need to be planning for a couple of trips to German, say for example one trip in 2 weeks time to visit friends and then one before Christmas, that would mean you would need about 6 months on the visa and then it would be multi entry too. So with this plan you then apply for a Schengen Visa to be issued by the German Embassy, of course you will then take these trips unless plans change once the visa is arrived. You can then fill in the trips to any other EU/Shengen states eg Spain within the time frame of the Visa.
    6) Always check visa requirements before you book any flights eg the Canary Isles even though under the Spanish Flag may have different requirements that mean that the Schengen may not be accepted there.

Hope this all makes sense.

Ian - sorry. I should have clarified. I mean I assume there's no problem leaving and entering the UK. I had a feeling that a schengen visa would be required to enter Spain. Thanks for the info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
    ... Lampao has a 2 year UK settlement visa. Do we need to obtain any oher visa so that she can make this trip? I am assuming that as she has this settlement visa she can travel in and outof the uk without any problem.
    That's correct Yanto, certainly no problem traveling in and out of the UK, she can come and go as often as she pleases. The only issue is ensuring she has the correct entry clearance (visa) for the countries she intends to visit.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Thanks Tobias

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar

Re Spain, be sure to allow plenty of time. There is currently about a 5 week week for a visa appointment. You also have to apply and pick up the visa in person if you apply directly. - a pain if you don't live nearby. I also had an issue with my marriage dsocumentation (we were married in Thailand), where a translation of the marriage certificatye was not acceptable. It had to be certified as genuine by the Thai embassy. Of course, this evidence is only necessary if you are trying to reduce the Schengen visa fee.

What KhunIanB says about where you should apply for a Schengen visa is correct - if you follow the letter of the law. In reality, you can apply to any Schengen country, provided you state on the application that you will be spending some time there (either first port of call or the majority of the time). Your plans can then change and the visa will still be valid for entry to any Schengen member country.

My recommendation is that you apply to the French embassy as due to your location, you should be on their list of locations that can apply by post, saves a lot of hassle - check it out.

and my recommendation would be to apply by post with the German Embassy, should take about 3 to 4 days, going by experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    and my recommendation would be to apply by post with the German Embassy, should take about 3 to 4 days, going by experiences.

Sorry Keith, I didn't see the bit in Ian's post about Germany accepting postal applications on the first read.

We have always found the Dutch Embassy to be the easiest for us... A quick car journey into Birmingham, hand in the documents and visa normally recieved in a few weeks...
    Andy
    Nothing ever Changes...but the shoes!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

What is the timescale set for application of the Schengen. What I mean is can you for example apply for a Schengen this month for a trip in 7 months time and have the start date on it accordingly

Rookie มือใหม่

Sorry to ask regarding the translation of the visa, I have been told it has to be translated "as under the Hague Convention" whatever that is. Does this mean that as you say if certified by the Thai embassy as a correct translation (our was in BKK) that will be sufficient?

My wife who is applying for the Schengen visa called the Thai embassy in London and the girl on the phone had not heard of "translation as under the Hague Convention" before. i.e. is this Hague Convention it being certified by the receptive embassy as a true translation.

Many thanks

Struan

p.s. I had hoped that after all my visa's in Thailand and then the wife's UK settlement visa this was all behind us!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwansea View Post
    Re Spain, be sure to allow plenty of time. There is currently about a 5 week week for a visa appointment. You also have to apply and pick up the visa in person if you apply directly. - a pain if you don't live nearby. I also had an issue with my marriage dsocumentation (we were married in Thailand), where a translation of the marriage certificatye was not acceptable. It had to be certified as genuine by the Thai embassy. Of course, this evidence is only necessary if you are trying to reduce the Schengen visa fee.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

OK ignore that I have found the answer:
    The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents is one of a series of conventions of the Hague Conference on Private International Law. It was signed by the original signatories on October 5, 1961. It specifies the modalities through which a document issued in one of the signatory countries can be certified for legal purposes in all the other signatory states. Such a certification is called an apostille. It is an international certification comparable to a notarisation and is often added to documents that have been in some manner signed by a Notary, lawyer or other public official such as the clerk of a court of record in their official capacity.
    States which have not signed the Convention must specify how foreign legal documents can be certified for its use. Sometimes two countries will have a special treaty concerning the recognition of each others documents, but this is not common. When the country issuing or receiving the document does not recognise an apostille, usually the document will have to be taken to the consulate of the foreign country you need to certify it. It may need to be certified by the highest government official in the country where it originated, such as the Secretary of State or Minister of Foreign Affairs, before being accepted by the consular officer of the foreign country, this process is known as chain authentication as an unbroken chain of government officials each certifies the signature (and seal in some cases) of the prior official in the first country and the consular officer then certifies that the document should be recognized as authentic in the country of destination. Usually that consular officer's signature can be authenticated in the country of destination as well.