Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILR Life in the UK test

Hi all,

really worried my wife won’t be able to pass the Life in The UK test.

we are applying for her ILR in June and haven’t booked the test yet. But looking online I just know she won’t be able to answer the questions.

Has anyone gone through this recently?

she will easily do the B1 IELTS test no problem but Life in the UK seems overkill if you ask me.

thanks

Richie

I have similar concerns as my wife needs to pass Life in the UK before July this year. There are Practice Tests online and also reading material available that cover the subjects to be tested but the Test will be a challenge no doubt.

The test fee is £50 and can be retaken as many times as you wish. The test material is in my opinion of little value for someone who has been living and working in the UK for nearly 5 years.

One final hurdle but I agree complete overkill.

Comment

Yeah I suppose all we can do is practice as much as possible.
      however I get the feeling we will just have extend the current visa type if by May-ish she hasn’t passed the test

that is something you can do isn’t it?

Comment

Yes it would mean that your wife will have to again apply and obtain Further Leave to Remain.

Comment

I have to say that I missed this one. I thought that for settlement you only needed the B1 test. Can you take the test any time at all, ie a few years before the ILR application?

Comment

A pass in the Life in the UK (LITUK) test is indeed required for ILR in addition to the CEFR Level B1 SELT pass.

The LITUK test pass has no expiry date and can be taken as many times as needed to secure a pass.

Yes, you can take it years before applying for FLR - Nok passed it just after being awarded FLR(M) in 2017. She applied successfully for ILR three years later using that very same LITUK pass.

The LITUK test consists of an online 45 minute multiple choice question quiz taken at one of the around 30 approved test centres in the UK. There are 24 multiple choice questions and a pass is given if 18 or more answers are correct.

It's a case of studying the LITUK study guide and memorising much useless info which is supposed to be about British history, culture and traditions. In the words of a House of Lords critical report into LITUK published last June, the LITUK test is a, "random selection of obscure facts and subjective assertions".
            "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Tom & Nok View Post
              A pass in the Life in the UK (LITUK) test is indeed required for ILR in addition to the CEFR Level B1 SELT pass.

The LITUK test pass has no expiry date and can be taken as many times as needed to secure a pass.

Yes, you can take it years before applying for FLR - Nok passed it just after being awarded FLR(M) in 2017. She applied successfully for ILR three years later using that very same LITUK pass.

The LITUK test consists of an online 45 minute multiple choice question quiz taken at one of the around 30 approved test centres in the UK. There are 24 multiple choice questions and a pass is given if 18 or more answers are correct.

It's a case of studying the LITUK study guide and memorising much useless info which is supposed to be about British history, culture and traditions. In the words of a House of Lords critical report into LITUK published last June, the LITUK test is a, "random selection of obscure facts and subjective assertions".
              Thanks so much for this. Answered all m questions in a nutshell. My wife started stressing as soon as I told her about the test but now we hve 3 years to pass it ! Cheers

Comment

Got to admit i thought my wife would struggle with this test.....she failed it first time but passed second time...she did work really hard at it and did a lot of online tests...she also has quite a good memory which helps...
                Cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmith89 View Post
                  Hi all,

really worried my wife won’t be able to pass the Life in The UK test.

we are applying for her ILR in June and haven’t booked the test yet. But looking online I just know she won’t be able to answer the questions.

Has anyone gone through this recently?

she will easily do the B1 IELTS test no problem but Life in the UK seems overkill if you ask me.

thanks

Richie
                  I'm in exactly the same boat mate and my wife has not even started studying yet.

I'm not going to stress over it - what will be, will be.

If she can't pass it before June (when her current visa expires) we will just have to apply for another extension.

I wish she started studying earlier but life just gets in the way doesn't it?

A BIG thank you to Tom for your informative posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom & Nok View Post

Thank you Tom for another brilliant post.

This is why I absolutely love this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rav View Post
                      I wish she started studying earlier but life just gets in the way doesn't it?
                      Just some constructive criticism, maybe you should take the lead and encourage your Mrs to study, maybe study together at first, as she becomes more confident you could step away and let her take online tests etc, this would be my approach, I think we all know how nonsensical the test is, but at this time it is what's required for citizenship.
                      Good luck, she still has time, hope she passes.
                      bangkok mags

Comment

Hi all, I have a PDF copy of the Life in the UK manual in Thai and English 2019 that my wife used to get the basics then she practised using the online sites / apps over and over. She passed first time and was out of the exam room in 20 minutes.. I can send copies of the pdf to who ever wants one. if you contact me on private message. The manual was produced to be distributed for free by several UK Thai companies and is available on a couple of UK Thai Facebook pages. Thai-Life in the UK Test สำหรับคนไทย | Facebook but not this one unfortunately.​

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
                          Just some constructive criticism, maybe you should take the lead and encourage your Mrs to study, maybe study together at first, as she becomes more confident you could step away and let her take online tests etc, this would be my approach, I think we all know how nonsensical the test is, but at this time it is what's required for citizenship.
                          Good luck, she still has time, hope she passes.
                          You're right. I will definitely do this. And thanks for your response, it's good to know that others have been in the same boat and succeeded.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone really really helpful.

since the post I’ve bought the online workbook and practice questions and I’ve started studying with her like sisaket mentioned.

only started a few days ago and she’s picked up stuff already so I’m more confidant.

it’s the reading and understanding of the actual questions she will struggle with. She’s has a good memory and is quite smart so I just think more and more practice and we will get there.

I’ve booked it in for mid May so we have a lot of time to practice.

Stevie57 that pdf might really help to be fair I’ll message you now.

Also just another quick one. My wife did the A2 ielts for the last visa and this one will be the B1 IELTS. Anyone know the major differences?

Thanks alot for all your comments

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmith89 View Post
                              Also just another quick one. My wife did the A2 ielts for the last visa and this one will be the B1 IELTS. Anyone know the major differences?
                              A2 is Elementory (Basic) B1 is Intermediate (Independent) B2 is Upper Intermediate, when you get into the C categories they are classed as proficient.
                              So A2 to B1 is stepping up a notch, so the answers need to be more detailed and the learning more in depth.
                              bangkok mags

Comment

Working...
                              X