Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scanner recommendations for FLR (M) What was your experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner recommendations for FLR (M) What was your experience?

What are everyones experiences of scanning the documents and uploading. I purchased a flatbed scanner, a Canon Lide 400 and it was a nightmare so i've sent it back. Any recommendations? Would a phone app scanner work? The simplest solution obviously with minimal input as i'm no I.T wizard. Also is it worth scanning to my pc and putting in folders in advance?

Thanks in advance

Ace

Hi Ace

My own experience of scanning the documents for FLR(M), ILR (SET(M)), and just recently Naturalisation/Citizenship were straightforward using free 3rd party software.

I use a cheap and cheerful basic monochrome laser 3-in-1 printer/scanner/fax which I bought on Amazon some time ago - a Ricoh product which was on promotion but the brand wasn't important for me.

I installed a free .pdf printer program called doPDF (here's the site) on my PC as well as a free scanner program called iCopy (here's the site). They're very simple programs with few whistles and bells but they allowed me to scan and produce good quality .pdf files of all the evidence documents needed by UKVI. iCopy lets you select dpi settings, colour or monochrome files and single or multiple page scanning to a single output file. Selecting doPDF as the output printer for iCopy means that the finished scans are converted to .pdf files.

What was also good in my view was that scanned files can be single page (e.g. marriage certificate) or multiple page (e.g. Thai passport). I had no issues in producing files well within the 6Mb maximum file size limit set by UKVCAS.

Hope this helps.

Tom
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

If you have an iPhone or iPad, consider buying an App. I use the TurboScan App and find it great for scanning and creating pdf and jpeg files which are very easy to save, upload or email. It costs £4.99 IIRC ... much cheaper and easier than buying and installing a scanner!

Not sure if there is an Android or Google App version but I’m sure there will be something similar available on those platforms.

Here’s think to iPhone/iPad version (it got a 30% discount at the moment): https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/turbos...er/id342548956

EDIT: There is a Google version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
      Last edited by Tobias; 9 Nov 2020, 06:33. Reason: To add Google version link
      Tobias - โทเบียส
      It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Thanks everyone, great advice as usual.

Comment

I bought a Canon Lide 300 scanner for £50 and thought that it was good. I used Mac so maybe it was more simple to use on mine.

Before I bought a scanner I used to use my one at work.
          I did try the inbuilt iPhone one but found it a bit rubbish.

I have all documents separated into different folders I.e. joint letters, me, wife and then the passport stuff etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ace_rimmer View Post
            What are everyones experiences of scanning the documents and uploading. I purchased a flatbed scanner, a Canon Lide 400 and it was a nightmare so i've sent it back. Any recommendations? Would a phone app scanner work? The simplest solution obviously with minimal input as i'm no I.T wizard. Also is it worth scanning to my pc and putting in folders in advance?

Thanks in advance

Ace
            What was the problem? I’ve used Canon scanners before without problems but now prefer HP as the interface is better.

Personally I would scan and save the documents to a folder on your computer before and then upload from there.

Comment

I have several scanners HP OKI Epson and Canon running win 10 professional all are really simple to use ?
              The canon simply plus into a usb port on a laptop and works the only issue is mine is a flatbed portable version as I use when travelling on business.

I have an Epson ET 2710 multifunction printer which allows me to scan wirelessly and to print that too is flatbed no sheet feed but worked out of the bow once I sorted the networking problems
              Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Working...
              X