• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About How to Submit Supporting Documents for UK Visa

Hi Everyone,

Two queries, A and B >>

A.
    I have pretty much complete a 4-inch thick folder for a Visitor Visa to the UK, but i've just realised that i've probably been battling up the wrong path for a long time. I got confused about the whole ORIGINAL vs COPY issue i think. From the start, i've been making TWO identical folders, thinking that the UKBA would return the 'posh' one (photos on glossy paper etc), and keep the plainer copies one. Now i imagine that was a mistake, and that we should only submit ONE big folder ?

Ok, so here's my worry : If we submit only one folder, what happens to the all the bits of evidence of our living together over the years, such as all the Rent Contracts, ToT bills, Electricity + Water bills etc - all originals ? Similarly, all the banking slips for me, such as hundreds of Thai ATM slips and Currency-Transfer forms ? Same with all the Flight docs such as BOARDING passes - originals ? Same with original Ownership docs for Land, Car, Bike, and Life Insurance Policy etc etc...

What have people submitted ? Is it necessary to have one big Folder with everything being a COPY, and then a separate Folder with everything that is Original material, and which is wanted back ?

B.
    Finally, could people who've been through it (i haven't) check this list of items which i'm guessing must be included as ORIGINALS for a visitor visa ? >>>

1. Both PASSPORTS
    2. Thai ID Card
    3. Driving Licences
    4. Educational qualifications (degrees only)
    5. Birth Certificates
    6. House deeds or mortgage statement (UK)
    7. Bank statements for 6 months for Applicant and Sponsor
    8. Utility bills for my place in the UK & here in Thailand
    9. Insurance Policy (life - hers!)
    10. Savings statements

(I'm retired so wage-slips don't come into it)

My worry is - if Originals of pretty ordinary items such as Utility-Bills and Boarding-Passes are submitted, and are NOT returned - that would really affect the quality of any applications to UKBA in the future - especially if they were for some kind of Settlement Visa, where solid proof of our long-term co-habitation would be required.

Thanks in advance - hope it doesn't sound too paranoid ! (but i am)

You have a lot of information for a visit visa. Some of it you don't need, but it will be used for a settlement visa. All of my original documentation was returned to Nat after the visit visa application was assessed. They kept nothing. The folder is just evidence to support what is said in the application. Either way there is no need to keep the folder, if the evidence supports what you say you get the visa, if not you get it back to try again.

Comment

1. Both PASSPORTS No, just hers. A copy of yours will be fine.
      2. Thai ID Card No, her passport identifies her.
      3. Driving Licences No.
      4. Educational qualifications (degrees only) If you want, but not really necessary.
      5. Birth Certificates No.
      6. House deeds or mortgage statement (UK) Yes, if that's where you will be staying.
      7. Bank statements for 6 months for Applicant and Sponsor Yes.
      8. Utility bills for my place in the UK & here in Thailand If it shows you living together, then yes, they would be helpful.
      9. Insurance Policy (life - hers!) Not really.
      10. Savings statements Yours, I presume? If it shows your income, and you are providing some of the finances for the trip, then yes.
      "You're so unapproachable!"
      "And yet, here you are."

Comment

I debated with myself over the one folder/duplicate folder decision long and hard and I am pleased to report both methods work. The only feedback we ever had was from one of the VFS staff, who complained having the copies seperate made them dizzy. It's as if the act of turning the leaves of two folders simultaneously was an complicated task - go figure?
        I'll second what jimmbo said, you will have the originals returned. Although on the missus' second VV they did keep some copies of money related things. 3rd time around now and I didn't bother to copy the contact evidence.

Just becuse you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you - good luck

Comment

I haven’t an opinion on the first question.

I will say that all the original documents that were submitted with my partners application were returned to us though. I have reused some of them in my recent FLR application.

Comment

we submitted two folders, but VFS gave her the one containing originals back straight away and I'm now paranoid they shouldn't have done as UKBA will now only see copies!

Comment

If it wasn't ok they would not have given them back.

Comment

But that's the problem, VFS aren't making the decision. I don't care if they think it's ok, I care about what UKBA are expecting, or require.

Comment

they collect the info, for god knows how many people per month, I think they would know if it's ok or not.

Comment

Having now had 2 visit visas approved, I gave them 1 folder with everything. I followed toddmeisters folder headings and worked for me.

Comment

I wonder if they think when they open it 'ah, here's another Thailand-UK application'

Comment

If they do, they will know it's a good application

Comment

Yeah, hopefully. They must notice a pattern though, with similar covering letters, folder layouts etc. I'm sure for every person that posts on here, there are 20 lurkers, who use the info, but we never hear from them.

I would also hope that it adds a little weight to applications (albeit, only a little) that people have gone to the effort to prepare it all themselves, rather than giving some agent in Pattaya (for example) a few hundred quid and getting him to sort it out. I would hope that demonstrates a little more commitment to the process and, indeed, the relationship.

Comment

we are a mere drop in the ocean to the number they get. We just follow their guidelines

Comment

Originally posted by PlymouthNick View Post
                              Having now had 2 visit visas approved, I gave them 1 folder with everything. I followed toddmeisters folder headings and worked for me.
                              Where can I find these folder headings? I'm in the process of putting together an application now.

Comment

Working...
                              X