Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Obtain a Settlement Visa for the UK (Revised July 2012)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No you don't. If you don't log into it for two years they delete it.

I was just looking at the new visa site. I wasn’t aware that it is possible to apply for a UK visit visa from any number of countries around the world but not from the UK, of course. Is this a new thing?

Comment

• Just been reading the Appendix from the link you sent me rasg and under financial requirements for self employed sponsors it states:

'You only need to provide evidence of the income and/or cashsavings required to show you meet the financial requirement'

And the questions just relate to what income the sponsor recived within the financial year (tax year) so it looks as though the SA302 along with my personal (verified) statements should be enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rsmith89 View Post
        Just been reading the Appendix from the link you sent me rasg and under financial requirements for self employed sponsors it states:

'You only need to provide evidence of the income and/or cash savings required to show you meet the financial requirement'

And the questions just relate to what income the sponsor received within the financial year (tax year) so it looks as though the SA302 along with my personal (verified) statements should be enough.
        Are you relying on your new self employed status for the £18600 financial requirement? If you are, you can't combine savings with self employed income. I know that much but not the finer points as I left to my accountant. He charged me £100 and I thought that was a bargain.

I think you'll find you need a set of end of year accounts too.

Comment

• Feather duster!
          Only took 2 and half years. Thai Air finally coughed up my 2020 cancelled flight dosh

Comment

• Ye i will get my accountant to sort it. Looks like i definitely need a set of accounts.

I want my wife to get the english test done first can anyone recommend where i can book this?

Does it have to be in Bangkok?

I want her to do the A1 test really because the BULATS test looks difficult or have i got it wrong?

Comment

• Yes, your wife needs a pass of at least CEFR Level A1 in English speaking and listening but it must be a secure English language test (SELT) taken at a Home Office/UKVI approved SELT centre. BULATS and many other English tests ceased to be recognised as Home Office approved English language tests for visa purposes in 2015.

The only SELT centres in Thailand are all in Bangkok - see page 13 of the Home Office approved SELT list here.

The most appropriate SELT for your wife's settlement visa is the IELTS Life Skills - A1 Speaking and Listening. This is offered by the British Council in Bangkok and by IDP in Bangkok which both operate Home Office/UKVI approved SELT test centres. You'll find some useful info about this IELTS SELT on the British Council's Thailand web site here and on the IDP web site here in Thai. You can book a test with either.

Hope this helps.
              "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

• Thank you so much ye that has helped me no end! My wife is all booked in for her test. Have you got any tips i can help her with to prepare? Her English is OK not amazing but she gets a little nervous. Thanks in advance

Comment

• Have a look on youtube at some of the sample tests. That way she will know what to expect in the exam

Comment

• hello

Just a quick question - Did you bother to translate your marriage certifcates?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by lightermanuk View Post
                      Just a quick question - Did you bother to translate your marriage certifcates?
                      If is a Thai marriage certificate you have to supply a translation.

Comment

• Hi everyone
                        Just a quick one, if we get the settlement visa we will be living with my dad at his house until we get our own place.

So my question is what documents do i need to get hold of for this?

And does this make any difference to the application either? i.e. goo or bad

Thank you

Comment

• Makes no difference to the application at all. As long as you can show that he has at least ONE room (normally bedroom) available for your sole use the rest of the house can be shared.

He (you can but he sign) will need to write a letter inviting you to stay and also provide his documents for the house.
                          I expect others will elaborate more but that is the basics.
                          Only took 2 and half years. Thai Air finally coughed up my 2020 cancelled flight dosh

Comment

• plus pay the £500 health surcharge

Comment

• Thanks guys.

On our marriage certificate my wifes surname hasnt been changed to mine. Obviously on all her documents (ID card, Passport) it has her surname.

Might sound like a stupid question but will she need to get her name changed so that we will have to get a new passport and ID card?

Cheers

Comment

• My wife has taken my surname but her documents, passport, id card and BRP are in her old name. As they expire we will change them. It's enough of a palaver to get the visas etc so it seems simpler and cheaper to do it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X