Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Obtain a Settlement Visa for the UK (Revised July 2012)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick thanks to all who have thanked me, etc... I don't get on here as often nowadays, but I am delighted so many have found it of use (albeit some of it is outdated now.

Thanks again.
    Kev (still happily married and settled in the UK)
    A link to "How to obtain a Settlement Visa"

Comment

Good to see you back Kev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Todd,

I still pop in from time to time.... catch up on a few bits (follow your blog) etc.

Coincidentally, we were in the same position as you, under the old rules, we obtained our extension of settlement visa, now Wanisa is into her 4th year here, she already passed the higher level English Exam, and has been studying for the LITUK.

3rd test (4th appointment - don't ask!) yesterday, and.............. she passed!!!

So we now are ready to move on to the next stage - convert to ILR/FLR and on to citizenship. I think I need some advice on what route we take, correct application for our situation (old rules - do they still apply etc) so I may drop Tobias a PM, unless he sees this post and responds.

But, nice to catch up again, and good luck with your good ladies test. It's not easy and I have the upmost respect for anyone who achieves it.

We found a female Thai tutor in the UK, who we paid for 11 x 1hr Skype sessions to go through the LITUK books and explain the over complicated questions and answers. It really helped and cost about £100. would gladly pass the info on but she is expecting a baby next month or so and isn't taking on anyone else at present.

One other tip that helped us.... get hold of the Thai / English version of the LITUK book, good cross referencing tool when it is just impossible to explain a question etc.

Regards
        Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Frogster1953 View Post
          One other tip that helped us.... get hold of the Thai / English version of the LITUK book, good cross referencing tool when it is just impossible to explain a question etc.

Link here:

The Life in the UK Test Handbook: in Thai and English (2nd Edition - 2014)
          Paul พอล
          กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

Thanks Kev we already have the 2nd edition Thai version which she has been using, hasn't really touched the English official book. Been using a phone app to do practice tests. That's about it but we're knuckling down now.
            One thing I was considering, because she is struggling reading the English version is letting her continue to read the thai book and I will sit and read the English book to her, explaining as I go. I know she obviously has to sit and read the questions in English but she can listen to the audio donut may help if I dictate the book to her

Comment

Hey Todd,

Not advocating this for everyone, but my wife said to me that "she didn't listen to the headphones on the last test as she found it confusing".

I am now going to start the ILR process, but as she originally came under the "Old Rules" I need to just make sure about what form (if there are different versions) and under what terms she needs to apply?

Undoubtedly and what ever, it will require the 6" thick supporting docs folder, so I'll start work on that ASAP

Regards
              Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Frogster1953 View Post
                So we now are ready to move on to the next stage - convert to ILR/FLR and on to citizenship. I think I need some advice on what route we take, correct application for our situation (old rules - do they still apply etc) so I may drop Tobias a PM, unless he sees this post and responds.
                Congrats on the LIUK pass.

Can I ask that you don't PM Tobias but put your questions on the forum. That way everyone can benefit from the response(s).

I am now going to start the ILR process, but as she originally came under the "Old Rules" I need to just make sure about what form (if there are different versions) and under what terms she needs to apply?
                See here for the form. There is only one regardless of "old" or "new" rules.

Undoubtedly and what ever, it will require the 6" thick supporting docs folder, so I'll start work on that ASAP
                Sorry to disappoint you but no 6" folder required. Maybe only a 1" one

My advice to anyone, even if only just arrived in the country, would be to look at these forms straight away to determine what evidence/documents you will need to have. That way you can save all required as time goes by.
                Only took 2 and half years. Thai Air finally coughed up my 2020 cancelled flight dosh

Comment

Thanks to all the posters for this valuable info.

I have one question before I apply for a settlement visa for my wife. My wife has a four years old with a Thai father who has never had anything to do with him (Bless him). what does my wife need to do or get to show " Sole Custody" or "Parental Power" sorry not sure of the wording, the father has agreed to go with her. I think this needs to be done before we can move forward.

Kind regards
                  SawadeeCrap

Comment

Originally posted by SawadeeCrap View Post
                    I have one question before
                    Search in this forum for "Sole responsibility" and the "Por Khor 14" affirmation. A court order is trumps but there is more involved to obtain one. You will find here's a difference in opinions as to how much weight the PK14 carries with UKVI - however if mum and son live together that should be a strong case. I suspect UKVI will be very interested in how much the biological father has been involved in the child's life (in theory they would be obliged by Human Rights Law to give him a visa too to exercise his visitation rights if he asked), so be prepared to prove any way possible that he is permanently absent. The PK14 might help here if enough people swear on it that the dad is long gone. On the other hand in Thai law the PK14 is a moot point; if mother and father were never married, and he's not on the birth certificate, then the father has no legal claim on the child if he has been absent since day 1. The UKVI will most likely know this and might then regard your PK14 as "obtained only for the purpose of applying for a visa" - which would indeed be true in your case if you don't have one already. So it could go either way how much credibility it is given. Don't let me bring you down, these are only "pub philosophy" musings rather than expert advice. Good luck, I hope you sail through

Comment

• Thank you Timbo, will search now.

Comment

• Hi. Thanks for this info to help others with the visa application, it is very helpful. My question is, is there an official list of all the documents I will personally have to produce for my fiancée? I will be coming over in October so we can get married and apply for her visa. I don't have all my original payslips for 12 months and will have to get copies, will these be accepted by the embassy as proof? Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks

Comment

• Look at frogsters guid that will give you the list you will need. I do think that they will require original wage slips but not 100% sure about that

Comment

• According to the November 2015 edition of Home Office Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE (section 1):

"(bb) Payslips must be:
                            (i) original formal payslips issued by the employer and showing the employer’s name; or
                            (ii) accompanied by a letter from the employer, on the employer’s headed paper and signed by a senior official, confirming the payslips are authentic"

So it should be acceptable to use copies of payslips but they must be accompanied by a letter of authentication as per (ii) above.

Hope this helps.

Tom
                            "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

• Ok thanks guys

Comment

• Could an admin please admin this statement:

"An appointment for this service is not necessary if using the British Embassy in Bangkok, but may be needed at other locations."

Located under heading Affirmation of Freedom to Marry. This statement is no longer correct, as an appointment IS required.....

Thanks J.

Comment

Working...
                                X