No announcement yet.

Emigrating in August. Travel requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to be aware of the COVID situation in Thailand and the fact numbers are rising FAST. Personally I think it is not a good idea to come at this time. The countries health system is on the brink of collapse. Almost zero vaccination and an extremely unhappy civil population. The government will have to have a lockdown and stop interprovincial travel soon or we will be looking like the new India or Brazil. Luckily you are both vaccinated but I would not expect free and easy travel in August. I expect closure of most restaurants to go with the bars very soon.

Comment

If Thailand makes our red list of countries, it could hamper your plans. There's every chance that flights could come to a halt.
      If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
        If Thailand makes our red list of countries, it could hamper your plans. There's every chance that flights could come to a halt.
        Thats already happening domestically. Air Asia are suspending all internal flights from tomorrow until the 31st July. I am sure others will follow. Roadcecks around the dark red zones around the Greater Bkk area start tomorrow as well. Travelling is being discouraged.
        'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by Yanto View Post
          Will a Non O visa applied for in Uk be the correct one to enable me to open Thai bank account in my name?
          Yes it should do the trick, dont use STV etc. If opening in Bangkok, use banks downtown IE CentralWorld etc and not in the outer districts like Bang Na, as some insist you need a work permit. Downtown branches are more geared up to deal with foreigners.
          I use Krung Thai Bank (KTB) at Chaengwattana Immigration Complex, as it is very convenient located downstairs, they are very used to dealing with foreigners opening accounts and know all the current rules. Also they issue on the day statements needed when applying for extensions and again on results day.
          The other main bank I use I found easy to open on my own was Kasikorn Bank, Silom main branch.
          bangkok mags

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post

Yes it should do the trick, dont use STV etc. If opening in Bangkok, use banks downtown IE CentralWorld etc and not in the outer districts like Bang Na, as some insist you need a work permit. Downtown branches are more geared up to deal with foreigners.
            I use Krung Thai Bank (KTB) at Chaengwattana Immigration Complex, as it is very convenient located downstairs, they are very used to dealing with foreigners opening accounts and know all the current rules. Also they issue on the day statements needed when applying for extensions and again on results day.
            The other main bank I use I found easy to open on my own was Kasikorn Bank, Silom main branch.
            Originally posted by Yanto View Post
            Will a Non O visa applied for in Uk be the correct one to enable me to open Thai bank account in my name?
            Once opened the accounts can be operated online and in English via K-cyber for Kasikorn and Netbank for KTB, Im not sure where your local Thai address will be, but when I have lived in other parts of TH it was easy to open accounts for example Sa Kaeo / Sisaket, but I ve had my own yellow house registration book since around 2005 (originally from Sa Kaeo)
            The other task you need think about for an extension is a rental / leasing agreement if renting somewhere, proof of address if dont have a yellow house book, in Bangkok City, CIC have up to date lists of what documentation you will need, I recommend getting a list if possible at your local Thai immigration office ASAP, please note the list can change at anytime.
            On the note of Banks, I have had accounts at one time or another with most Thai banks, but prefer Kasikorn for ease of access, easy transfers, you can hold / manage mutual funds, trading or if ever opened a PLC can manage K-cyber for SME (Juristic person) all online.
            bangkok mags

Comment

Things are changing here, restrictions etc. you may well find if you arrive in August even after a 14 quarantine period you will not be allowed to leave Bangkok . A great song once said "you can check out any time you like but you can never leave" Seriously though I would not want to be locked down in BK for a month or so if things get out of hand. I honestly think you will be better staying in the UK until things get better here, it may be some time too. If you have to come be prepared for disruption to your plans.

Comment

Noticed this again.So Yanto did you come to Thailand did it all go OK or did you stay in the UK until things improve?

Comment

Originally posted by DAS View Post
                  Noticed this again.So Yanto did you come to Thailand did it all go OK or did you stay in the UK until things improve?
                  Thanks for remembering! We’re still in the Uk. Living with my old Mum (91!). House sold in 2 days. We decided to wait until things improved over there. Hopefully that’s starting to happen now as the vaccine is made available. Have been told that quarantine is to be reduced to 7 days for people who are double jabbed (we are).
                  We are now hoping to be able to come over mid November. Need to start looking at visa application now!
                  Hope youre ok

Comment

Yes heard about the reduction of quarantine to 7 days and also the the plan to stop it all together in December (I think) Check.. This might change if cases start going up. I think Thailand is beginning to realise that all countries will eventually have to live with Covid and isolation policies just prolong the inevitable. Vaccination is going well here and that is the key. The wife and I are both fully vaccinated now. Good luck.

Comment

Yes heard about the reduction of quarantine to 7 days and also the the plan to stop it all together in December (I think) Check.. This might change if cases start going up. I think Thailand is beginning to realise that all countries will eventually have to live with Covid and isolation policies just prolong the inevitable. Vaccination is going well here and that is the key. The wife and I are both fully vaccinated now. Good luck.
                      Good to hear that you’re ok and the vaccine is actually being made available. Yes I agree with you re countries realising that living with Covid is probably more realistic than eradicating it right now.
                      My wife wants us to move in November even if quarantine goes back to 14 days. Obviously we have a lot to do once over there and she wants to get started.

Comment

Vaccination is going well here and that is the key.
                        Really!!
                        I thought that was the reason that the "opening" was pushed back from October 1st to November 1st, because only 24% of the population had been vaccinated when the goal was 70% by October 1st and "opening"
                        Way down on target and personally I don't see them meeting that target by November 1st either.

Don't get me wrong I am longing to get back to Thailand but have now lowered my expectations from Christmas to a possibility of getting there next May
                        When will I see you again
                        When Thai Air give me my money back

Comment

They did 1,000,000 jabs in a day recently, so after a very slow start, things have improved especially in Chonburi, and Bangkok areas. They still haven't got anywhere near the required 70% but it's a vast improvement from several months ago. If only they had started four months earlier.

Comment

Mother-in-law had her first AZ jab a couple of days ago and has the 2nd one booked for 23/10. Locations about 50km from Udon Thani. Good to see that things are proceeding...

Comment

Originally posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
                              Mother-in-law had her first AZ jab a couple of days ago and has the 2nd one booked for 23/10. Locations about 50km from Udon Thani. Good to see that things are proceeding...
                              That seems too short a time scale. Surprised she got AZ for the1st jab, the norm is Sinovac then AZ with the time scale you mention.

The whole 70% thing they are aiming for is now an outdated concept in any case. They just need to jab, jab, jab.

'Tis me

Comment

Working...
                              X