Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A problem getting a National Insurance Number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on this one. I was eventually referred to Immigration to find out why we could not prove my wife's immigration through the CA5400D form. I followed the instructions on the phone and got through to a chap who told me that 60 per cent of his calls were because of problems with this but then referred me to another immigration section to get to the bottom of it. I spoke to a lady who said that the CAD5400D form for proving immigration status was not for people with BRP's as the BRP number proves your immigration status. The CA5400D is in fact for people with digital permits whatever that means. She said that the NI department for some reason thinks that you can use a BRP number to confirm status for them to issue an NI number but they are incorrect. So apparently the only way to get the NI number is to Telephone: 0800 141 2079 (NI helpline) as Keith states above. This one I cannot get through to so will leave it a couple of months. All very strange and hard to decipher what is correct or incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
      At what point in the App do you encounter difficulty?
      Final update on this one. Got through to the National Insurance help line to talk about my problems getting an Immigration Status Share Code for the CAD5400D application form for the NI number. They told me that the code is only required by European Nationals and that we should send in the application (CAD5400D) without the code to get the NI number. Very strange business as it does not say this anywhere when you go through this process. Problem solved though I guess
      Last edited by nickj1000; 20 Jul 2021, 10:01.

Comment

Sorry as I don't come here too often but now I'm here I'll add that getting through takes an age and it's a chargeable call and you're charged when on hold so stand by for a hefty phone bill.

Comment

Originally posted by ajscamera View Post
          Sorry as I don't come here too often but now I'm here I'll add that getting through takes an age and it's a chargeable call and you're charged when on hold so stand by for a hefty phone bill.
          The NI help line is free I think 0800 141 2079 (NI helpline). Regardless though according to the NI helpline you do not need to get the share code unless you are on a European Visa. They told us to fill out the form and send it in following with copies of the ID without the share. We have done this and are now waiting.

Comment

Further to this never ending story. My wife has been working in a Thai restaurant in Cardiff without an NI number which is fine as she has the biometric pass. The restaurant unfortunately is closing down in 2 weeks so we have applied for more jobs. Within 2 days she had an offer for a permanent role on 370.00 per week but they now say she cannot work without an NI number so offer withdrawn. Something wrong with this picture when you cannot follow up an NI application for 4 months and the government owe us 600.00 already because of emergency tax. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Comment

The employer is wrong, you do not need a National Insurance Number to star work in the UK provided the applicant can demonstrate a right to work in the UK. Contact the employer and refer them to https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number for details.
              Tobias - โทเบียส
              Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
              Don't delay in getting your
              COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                The employer is wrong, you do not need a National Insurance Number to star work in the UK provided the applicant can demonstrate a right to work in the UK. Contact the employer and refer them to https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number for details.
                I know Tobias, you are correct but you can't make them do it especially when they just put the phone down. We were applying for another role with a care home yesterday and the employer web page will not accept your application without entering an NI number. I phoned the NI helpline again to see if there was anything more we could do and the lady said that we had followed the correct procedure filling out the CA5400D (No share code required) but it would take 4 months to get it. Apparently they have recruited more people to try and speed it up. The lady said the same as you but acknowledged that some do not want to take you on without the NI number. She had strong opinions as well stating that the government were taking the emergency tax but not fulfilling their side quick enough, sounds like the NI helpline has a difficult job !

Thanks for the link though, I will note this and try to persuade the disbelievers !

Comment

Another update on this one which some may find amusing. My wife was offered a job by a large multisided care home which we accepted verbally but then because we do not for the NI number yet thy will not proceed, in fact they said it was illegal to work without it. Tried to explain but a no no. It seems that even though she has the permit to work it depends on whether the employer wants to go ahead. I am sure we are not the only ones with the problem. Good news is that we have an offer from another care home and they have no problem as we have the BRP. Feel sorry for my wife, straight from work in Thailand to 10 days isolation straight to a Thai Restaurant, one week off and back to work again ! Guess somebody ahs to put the food on the table

Comment

Another update on this one. You cannot follow up on NI applications until you have been waiting 16 weeks. I have been watching the space so to speak with my hand poised over the phone.... Then the day before my planned follow up phone call my wife gets a letter asking for a copy of her passport (which we had already sent them along with her Visa). The letter states that if we do not send the copy of the passport they will not continue with the application and we have until the 1st of December to send it or they will cancel the application. Needless to say we have not raised the issue that they have already had this by recorded delivery, we just sent another letter with copy of the passport by recorded delivery again. I wonder if we have to wait 16 weeks again

Comment

A new phase of the NI application. We phoned them to follow up on sending a copy of my wife's passport and they told us that we did not send an application with it so they could not proceed. I said that we sent the passport copy at their request and we were not asked to send another application. They then said that we had never sent and application to which I responded why did you write to us then ?? Lucky for my 20 weeks a go i sent everything they needed by recorded delivery and I quoted the reference to them. Put on hold for 15 minutes and then they announced they had found the original application from 20 weeks ago. Apparently it had been filed in the B codes when it should have been filed with the D codes and had therefore been misplaced. It seems now we are a priority case and we will get it within the month. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the NI office application centre !

Comment

Working...
                      X