Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A problem getting a National Insurance Number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A problem getting a National Insurance Number.

Hi all.

My Thai wife has been offered a job as a teaching assistant but we're having problems getting an NI number or rather a Share Number to enable us to apply for an NI number.

She used the smartphone ID ap for her last visa but when trying to use it again to get a Share Number whenever she enters her passport number it comes back with a message that the details don't match, ditto when she tries to use her Biometric card number.

This could be because her passport has lapsed as due to the pandemic she couldn't renew it and also the Biometric card is a new one and I don't know if you get a different number when you renew. I don't know if this/these are the cause of the problem or not.

We've emailed the technical help team on the gov website but so far no reply.

So we're a bit stuck and wondered if anyone else has run into anything like this when applying for a NI number.

I might have posted this in the wrong section... sorry if I did

An update just in case this helps anyone else.

I tried phoning the technical helpline a couple of times and just got a recorded message saying words to the effect of "not available" but I eventually got an answer and was 6th in the queue. It too 2 hours and 10 minutes to get through and all they did was talk me through the log on process. When I explained my theory that it could be either the expired passport or that the Biometric number might have changed she pointed me at the immigration dept. So we're pretty much back to square one.

The moral of this I suppose is keep copies of all log on details and copies of all documents, expired or not.

I'll try the immigration department and see if they can tell me if the Biometric number does indeed change and if so I'll ask if there's any way the old number can be retrieved (you return old ones... so we don't have it any more.)

What a faff on. I honestly thought getting a NI number would be quite easy. Still, it's a challenge now and something to aim for

Comment

Have you tried google to apply for an NI no. Some years ago Jan applied through the old Labour exchange both worth a try
      Melnathan

Comment

Googling gets me to unofficial people who want to charge £68 or eventually leads to the govt website, and around we go. So, so far were using the Govt website attempting to get a Share Code using the Govt ID app. But it's not happening as it keeps saying that the entered details don't match.

We thought this may be because we use the old Biometric number to do the ID and it not recognising the new one but I managed to find my wifes previous Biometric card number on a previous visa application and again we're getting the message that the information doesn't match.

It's an absolute ❇❇❇❇ show and I'm worried that this will be an issue when we go for ILR.

At the moment the plan is to get back onto their technical helpline hopefully without having to go on hold for another 2 hours.

Comment

I am not sure what you googled but I'll lay you a £1 for a penny try your Job Centre Plus in person or 08001412078 and according to my information you should be on your way
          Melnathan

Comment

We're not really bothered about the NI number as she's now doing unpaid volunteer work but we'll try the JC when we have time.

The worry now is as I posted above. I'm worried that not being able to access the ID app will bite us when we come to apply for ILR so we need to persist and get access to this app as we've tried the passport number and the two Bio numbers and still can't get access.

Getting help with this is a problem as we've been passed from dept to dept and all we get is the same links or we're told to phone someone else, we don't even get time to explain the problem.

Anyway. We'll crack back on on Monday and at least we have a long time to try and sort this and I think it is going to be a long haul.

Comment

When your wife applies for a NI at the JC make sure she tells them that she's looking for work otherwise they will refuse it. She might to prove she's looking for work. My wife was refused NI during FLR and she only obtained it recently when she got her citizenship.

Comment

Thanks.

We're currently not worrying about the NI and instead trying to get access to the UK Immigration ID app. On hold to the tech help dept as I type

This is the third day trying to get help with this.

Comment

Just in case this helps anyone I'll run through the saga. You can laugh at the end if you like...

Mrs had a job offer and therefore needed a NI number so we googled "How to get an NI" and ended up on the gov website where we downloaded a form to fill in. This required a Share Code which the form said could be obtained by logging on to the ID app.

When logging on you're asked to enter the number from one of three documents, your passport, Biometric Resident Permit or national ID card.

Mrs entered her passport number and was then asked to enter her DOB. After entering that a message saying that the details don't match appears.

We thought this might be because her passport has lapsed so we switched to the Biometric No. but this failed too.

We thought that might be because she's got a new Bio No. since we last used the app so we entered the original number and again that failed too.

So we rang the tech support helpline. I wasn't really too worried about the NI number but more worried that not being able to access the app could be an issue when going for the next visa. Getting through takes ages on the phone and the first time we got through they were no help at all but we tried again and got through to someone much more helpful who took our details, put us on hold and sorted the problem.

The app needed the new Bio. number but apart from that it was the date section causing the problem. The date is in three boxes... 2 characters, 2 characters and then 4... so you'd think for example 0x 0x 19xx and indeed when you click on the box it auto pulls up 2/2/4 digits for you to select from but although the first box for the date was ok with 0x the next box had to be just one digit... and the last 4. So if your birthday is 02 03 1970 you enter 02 3 1970. And that was it.

I don't know if this is because Mrs entered just one digit for the month back in April last year when we used the app but if that's what she did then it does seem odd that when you click on the box it pulls up two digits.

But, just in case anyone else gets caught out by this and can't access the ID app... it could be as simple as entering just one digit, for the birth month in our case.

Three days we spent on this

As people have suggested we'll crack on with the NI now and ask the Jobcentre.

Thanks all.

Comment

Tried this one. No matter what it will not accept my wife's info. The help line simply cuts you off. The biggest joke in the world. Just want to register honestly and pay your tax and they obstruct you. Let me guess Covic Covid Covid. Any ideas from anybody would be very helpful. Cheers
                    Last edited by Tom & Nok; 2 Jul 2021, 05:46. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quotation of the whole of the immediately preceding post

Comment

At what point in the App do you encounter difficulty?
                      Tobias - โทเบียส
                      Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
                      Don't delay in getting your
                      COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                        At what point in the App do you encounter difficulty?
                        Hi Tobia. The problem occurs when asked to verify my wife's identity through the link on the CA5400D. It asks what document we have used to submit the application which in fact was 2 documents, passport and the BRP document. It allows us to verify with either of these by putting in the relevant number (passport number or BRP number) and then asks for my wife's date of birth and our postcode to bring up our address. It then confirms the information correctly on the next page but when you click to get the confirmation of ID code it says that the detail's do not match and refer you to Visa and Immigration through a link. Tried again today with my wife the same as Melnathan but with no luck. The decision making line does not respond unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by ajscamera View Post
                          I might have posted this in the wrong section... sorry if I did

An update just in case this helps anyone else.

I tried phoning the technical helpline a couple of times and just got a recorded message saying words to the effect of "not available" but I eventually got an answer and was 6th in the queue. It too 2 hours and 10 minutes to get through and all they did was talk me through the log on process. When I explained my theory that it could be either the expired passport or that the Biometric number might have changed she pointed me at the immigration dept. So we're pretty much back to square one.

The moral of this I suppose is keep copies of all log on details and copies of all documents, expired or not.

I'll try the immigration department and see if they can tell me if the Biometric number does indeed change and if so I'll ask if there's any way the old number can be retrieved (you return old ones... so we don't have it any more.)

What a faff on. I honestly thought getting a NI number would be quite easy. Still, it's a challenge now and something to aim for
                          Hi there ajscamera. I don't suppose you could let me know where you found the link for the telephone help line. There seem to be a few numbers none of which I can get through to ? Cheers

Comment

National Insurance number application helpline (England, Scotland and Wales)
                            Telephone: 0800 141 2079
                            Textphone: 0800 141 2438
                            Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
                            If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
                              National Insurance number application helpline (England, Scotland and Wales)
                              Telephone: 0800 141 2079
                              Textphone: 0800 141 2438
                              Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
                              Thanks Keith !

Comment

Working...
                              X