Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp working in Thailand

Hi All,

Hoping you can help - i haven't been able to find the answers online as what i'm looking to do is temporary...

I'm based in the UK married to a Thai national, and work for a UK company that doesn't have offices in Thailand.

I am able to work from home and proposed to work the idea of basing myself in Thailand towards the end of the year for up to 3 months and working as a i do currently in the UK from home - but basing my self in Thailand for this period as would be great to spend time with other family i have in Thailand.

I had read that it there are no tax implications etc as the period is under 6 months - but what i cant find is as this is temporary, can i just go ahead and do this and work from home from Thailand, or do i require a specific visa? My work has just asked me to confirm the visa position...

Can anyone help/advise?

Lawfully, you require a visa and work permit. But sadly, your circumstances don't appear to qualify. You usually apply for a work permit with an offer of Employment from a Thai business, school, or whatever.

But there are expats here that work in IT on the QT. And that's probably your best bet.
    'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by caller View Post
      Lawfully, you require a visa and work permit.
      I'm not convinced that's true. Technically, he's not working in Thailand. He's working remotely for a UK business, performing tasks that do not impose on Thailand in any way, shape or form.

I've worked here for 16 years, self-employed with a client base solely in the UK and Ireland. I don't do any business in Thailand. I've made it plain to immigration exactly what I do and not once has anyone ever suggested I'm breaking the law, nor that I need a work permit. I'm on a non-O visa, 15th annual extension.
      Last edited by maokaang; 11 Jun 2021, 06:28. Reason: typo
      Paul พอล
      กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

Thank you for these posts - I could potentially be in the same place as garnett45 soon so really keen to know the definite right answer.

Comment

Working...
        X