Covid visa escapades to try and get home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid visa escapades to try and get home

Well, I have been at work now for 265 days without a day off, starting to feel the hit now and I am hoping to get home early Jan 2021.

I have been trying for months to get myself a visa so I can go home due to my Non O Multi Entry expiring whilst I have been here.

First I tried the Thai Embassy in the UK and to be honest they were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Al they did was keep fobbing me off, with read this link and read that link, possible due to where I am and my situation, however, a little more help would have been nice!
    The best thing they did for me was tell me to get in touch with the Thai Embassy in Jordan. What a contrast!
    Anyway I emailed the Thai Embassy in Jordan explaining my situation and asking the same questions I had asked the UK one.
    The following day I had a reply and had all my questions answered, very politely too. Anyway, the upshot was, yes, they could help me with a visa and would be happy to do so. But the crunch came when they stated that they could not except a DHL delivery and that I had to go to Jordan or send a representative. I could have gone however at that stage of the game, Jordan was on lockdown same as the rest of us.
    So I had to leave it and hope that either things changed in Thailand or Jordan.
    Anyway about 2 weeks ago I emailed them again stating that I am still stuck in Iraq and if anything had changed on me getting my visa, also thought I would be cheeky and ask if they did Non O Multi Entry Visa. Again, I got a same day reply, yes, I could get a Non O Multi Entry and they were now excepting DHL deliveries. Fortunately, I have a clean second passport as I need my passport with my Iraq visa in. So good news all round.

I always carry all my marriage stuff with me for the ‘just in case’. So that was it, scanning and printing and Ohm sending me photos of her new ID and house book.
    Once I had complied it all I emailed the Embassy and told them I was ready and how would they like to be paid? Cash was the reply! 200 Jordanian Dinar, approx. $282. They also wanted me to scan all my docs and email it all to them before I sent my passport and originals. Wise move really and it would be a waste to send it all over to Jordan and its wrong. The only thing extra they needed was the change of name certificate for Ohm i.e. Maiden name to my name. I did not even know she had one! So, a quick call to Ohm and 20 mins later she sent me a photo which I sent straight to Jordan. Yep, they were happy, and I can send the passport.
    I was putting the cash in with the package so the choice I had was to send it via DHL from Iraq or give it to a colleague who was flying to the UK in 2 days and send it from there. UK it was, I thought it would be better with the money in it! Then the Embassy will return it to me in Iraq
    So, my colleague took everything with him and 2 days later took it to DHL to send, then sent me the tracking number. I saw it get picked up, and took to Maidstone, great news, it was on its way! I checked the following morning to see where it was and it stated, ‘Return to Shipper’!!!! That was not good. So, I on delving deeper into the DHL site I found that they do not transit cash in any form. A big schoolboy error on my side, I only looked at the T&C’s and did not see anything about cash. So now I was stuck with all my stuff in the UK, and no means to pay. I checked UPS and FedEx, same thing, No Cash. I emailed the Embassy and updated them. They asked whether or not I could get someone in Jordan to deliver the money to the Embassy on my behalf, and stated they could not accept a bank transfer to the Embassy account as its strictly audited, which I can go with and fair enough. I thought about setting up a Western Union account and found an access point in a shopping mall about 700 meters from the Embassy, so I sent them a screen shot and explained that.
    The reply I got back was astounding, the person at the other end of the email, has offered to let me pay them the money from my Thai account to their Thai account and they will they pay for the visa and return DHL to me….Well, what can you say? That is well above and beyond in my book.
    My colleague is sending all my stuff again, minus the money this time.
    The next hurdle is getting it back to me, hopefully with a visa, in Iraq without it going missing!!!! Time will tell

Wayne
    Trying to get home to see my wife

Keeping everything crossed for you Wayne. The end is in sight. Keep your eyes on the prize. You got this, buddy. All the best - Allan

Comment

Allan Thanks Allan

Comment

Wow, palaver or what! I think we all know how unhelpful some Thai embassies can be so nice to here of one doing all it seems they can to help you out.
        Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
          Wow, palaver or what! I think we all know how unhelpful some Thai embassies can be so nice to here of one doing all it seems they can to help you out.
          Yes Gary, the Royal Thai Embassy in Jordan have been outstanding. Hopefully it will be sorted and on its way back to me shortly

Comment

Great News Wayne.. Good Luck with the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by Nealy View Post
              Great News Wayne.. Good Luck with the next step.
              Thanks Nealy

My returning passport has gone dark, it left Dubai at 0415 (my local time) yesterday morning and there has been no more tracking updates for 26 hours
              Not good!!

Comment

I have finally got my passport back from the Thai Embassy in Jordan, with a nice new 1 year Multi Entry. But that was a story in itself. The Embassy sent it by DHL to me in Iraq. It went to Bahrain which must a local ME Hub (as it went there on the way out from the UK too). From there it went to Dubai then it got a plane and left at 0415hrs, Iraq local time, on the 21st Nov, on route to Basra. Then it went dark for 3 days, I was beginning to get a bit worried as there was no way to track it and the DHL in Jordan and Iraq did not get back to me when I tried to find out what was going on.
                Anyway, yesterday morning it started tracking again and said it was on route for delivery. I thought nothing of it, then my boss came in and said I have some news on your passport...expecting the worst...but, they had deliverd it to another camp where our counrty management team work from and the cheeky sod of a dHL courier wanting paying for it...again, I suppose you can't fault him for trying to get money out fo the foreigners 55555. Fortunely it said on the front that it had been paid for. So he was out of luck!
                The passport finally got to me yesterday afternoon, about 1400hrs local time. A total of 5 days, my longest in a long while 55555

Now I need to get work to get my flights booked in the first week of December, then get on with phase 2 and upload all the stuff on the CoE MFA site, at least I can do that at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider View Post
                  I have finally got my passport back from the Thai Embassy in Jordan, with a nice new 1 year Multi Entry. But that was a story in itself. The Embassy sent it by DHL to me in Iraq. It went to Bahrain which must a local ME Hub (as it went there on the way out from the UK too). From there it went to Dubai then it got a plane and left at 0415hrs, Iraq local time, on the 21st Nov, on route to Basra. Then it went dark for 3 days, I was beginning to get a bit worried as there was no way to track it and the DHL in Jordan and Iraq did not get back to me when I tried to find out what was going on.
                  Anyway, yesterday morning it started tracking again and said it was on route for delivery. I thought nothing of it, then my boss came in and said I have some news on your passport...expecting the worst...but, they had deliverd it to another camp where our counrty management team work from and the cheeky sod of a dHL courier wanting paying for it...again, I suppose you can't fault him for trying to get money out fo the foreigners 55555. Fortunely it said on the front that it had been paid for. So he was out of luck!
                  The passport finally got to me yesterday afternoon, about 1400hrs local time. A total of 5 days, my longest in a long while 55555

Now I need to get work to get my flights booked in the first week of December, then get on with phase 2 and upload all the stuff on the CoE MFA site, at least I can do that at work.
                  Good luck with everything, hope everything else runs smooth.
                  bangkok mags

Comment

That's not only a relief for you, I have been scanning the news each day for a report of a helicopter being stolen in Iraq and heading towards Jordan/Thailand!

Hope all starts to go smoothly now after all that aggravation!

Comment

Originally posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post

That's not only a relief for you, I have been scanning the news each day for a report of a helicopter being stolen in Iraq and heading towards Jordan/Thailand!

Hope all starts to go smoothly now after all that aggravation!
                      5555555555, its getting near that stage LMAO. Getting fed up now, just wanting to get home

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider View Post

5555555555, its getting near that stage LMAO. Getting fed up now, just wanting to get home
                        I've got a private pilots licence, if I can be of any assistance????

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post

I've got a private pilots licence, if I can be of any assistance????
                          555555555, i will bear that in mind.

How long did it take for approval when you uploaded all your docs on to the CoE MFA site?

Comment

Hi Wayne, no more than a couple of days. Very efficient and quick turn round I thought.

Comment

Working...
                            X