The marriage process and form filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The marriage process and form filling

Hi gents, I just had a look at the uk embassy web site regarding affirmation to marry certificate, it says you have to 'type' your details onto the form? How do you do that these days? I don't even know anyone that has a type writer these days....it doesn't look like the form is editable so you can't open it and fill the required fields in. Do you just take it to an office in Thailand that might have a typewriter and ask them to type the details in?
    looking forward to your help with this one
    many thanks
    essex boys

You can type it up in a document yourself and then print it.
    It has to have the same format.

The affirmation to marry packs are all word documents and are editable so you could just save the last page, edit it and you're sorted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ry-in-thailand

Comment

Hey,

I got married last June 2019 so its still fresh. That affirmation looks like something any old person could type out and that is what they want. If you are able to, print off a copy of the example they have, Open up word on your computer and copy it verbatim on word processor. I did 2 versions in case they got anal about it. The bits you fill in like your name etc. I highlighted in bold with the rest, just the standard lettering. The 2nd copy I left it all the same, so nothing highlighted in bold. I think I handed in the highlighted in bold paper and it was fine....example below

AFFIRMATION OF MARITAL STATUS

I, Essex Boy, dosolemnly and sincerely affirm as follows: The following is information aboutmyself:

Surname LampardAll forenames (as shown on passport) Frank Jr

MALEDate of Birth 15/02/1980Place of Birth London, UK

Doing it like that was fine..

Try this website.....

https://www.thethailandlife.com/marr...ailand-diy-day

This is what I used for my actually getting married, affirmation, translation, MFA back and forth, Marriage certificates etc....There's a really good list of what documentation to take to the Amphurs on your wedding day.....If you scroll back to June 2019 you will see my comments in there of how it all went for me and what I did in the 3 or 4 days in Bangkok etc.....I had a manic couple of weeks in Thailand getting married and then the passport changed etc. after marriage to her new name and a new ID card....

Good luck with it all, feel free to ask away.....and don't leave it too late to book your appointment at the Embassy...

Update...I've just gone in and found my extract for you off the site...

Baz M says
      June 14, 2019 at 2:31 pm[/B]
      My Diary of my recent trip...Day one 7th June - Appointment booked at Embassy for 8.40am. Arrived 8.20am, everything in order so was out of there by 08.45. Very helpful, finger on signature and listened to oath to swear everything correct. Some brit in there totally unprepared. I helped him with his form. BTS to Mo Chit. Taxi from there to MFA 100 baht. But possible to catch Metro from Mo Chit to Lak Si and shorter taxi ride to MFA. At MFA, went up first escalator and used translation service literally right in front of you at a... My Diary of my recent trip...Day one 7th June - Appointment booked at Embassy for 8.40am. Arrived 8.20am, everything in order so was out of there by 08.45. Very helpful, finger on signature and listened to oath to swear everything correct. Some brit in there totally unprepared. I helped him with his form. BTS to Mo Chit. Taxi from there to MFA 100 baht. But possible to catch Metro from Mo Chit to Lak Si and shorter taxi ride to MFA. At MFA, went up first escalator and used translation service literally right in front of you at a blue counter (left hand side). For some reason I was a bit wary of using one of the agents at the door. Some of them had no badges or anything so didn't trust them. But that's just me!! Paid 2000 baht total. This included Passport&Affirmation translation, MFA stamp and her service i.e 900 translations, 800 MFA stamp, 300 for her service. Peace of mind because if it was wrong she would change it then and there. My fiance liked her and exchanged line messages with her.Tuesday 11th June - Collected translations. Apparently she had made a mistake, but she rectified it herself. Probably a good reason to use her because of this fact.Wednesday 12th - Phoned Bang Rat to check about appointments, they said we could come in that afternoon as they had space, unfortunately we were half way to Chonburi.Friday 14th - Arrived at Bang Rat at 7.50am, told we were too late as fully booked. Apparently one couple arrived at 2am to queue up! I find this hard to believe, but it's true!!. Took motorbike taxi to Siam station then BTS to Mo Chit then taxi to Lak Si District office. Looks nicer than Bang Rat by the way. Arrived there, no room, they said we could book an appt for Monday, but then the missus went to the translation desk (Main lobby, right hand side) and lady there said that if we paid her 3500 baht she would get us done today. Desperation kind of kicked in so I agreed the fee. We went with the translator in a taxi to Don Meuang. Ironically this is where I wanted to go as the next alternative, but missus said try Lak Si first. Spent around an hour or so there. Maybe the fee we paid the woman was for her to get us in the queue quick and a way to bypass the fact we had no translator or witnesses. The woman who registered our marriage spoke decent enough English so translated it for us, again maybe this was what the woman we paid knew. To be honest I didn't have a clue what was going on in there, but just trusted the woman and my missus. Taxi back to Mo Chit, BTS to Phloen Chit and after a few stressful minutes deliberating what are next move was i.e do we need to take the translated marriage certificate back to the MFA for certification, shall we use the translator that did my Affirmation & Passport, shall we use Express Translation blah blah. Then I looked ar some of the posts on here (May 23rd 19), I read that Thailand Life says you don't need an MFA certified Marriage certificate, just translated into English by a Certified Translator. So we have just paid 1000 baht to get it translated as Express Translation, Phloen Chit, collecting tomorrow at midday. I am now officially Married!! If somebody can just confirm whether or not I need the English Marriage Certificate that i collect tomorrow certified at the MFA that would give me some peace of mind. I hope this helps... The main blog is a God send. Stick to the documents they say to bring to the Amphur and you will be fine. Thanks again Thailand Life. Baz & Rose.
      hope this helps a little...….

I don't know how to use those nice quote boxes haha
      Last edited by Tobias; 7 Jul 2020, 14:20. Reason: Fixed BBCode for quote
      "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Very useful information and links there, thanks gents, I'm using an iPad so I don't have windows so I will try in IOS see if I can edit the forms.
        many thanks, I will let you know how I get on with it in IOS.
        essex boys

Comment

I just copied the form from the link above, then I pasted it into 'pages' on my iPad and it allows me to edit it.

Comment

Well I won't be getting married anytime soon, according to the uk embassy in Bangkok there are two appointments available in July and then nothing for the next 6 months! Never seen that before..

Comment

Originally posted by Essex boys View Post
              Well I won't be getting married anytime soon, according to the uk embassy in Bangkok there are two appointments available in July and then nothing for the next 6 months! Never seen that before..
              I would send an Email to clarify there are no appointments available, dont forget extra long bank holiday here this week.
              bangkok mags

Comment

Good point sisaket, I will email them tomorrow, we were hoping to get married in December, the gf is checking with her Amphur tomorrow for available dates and what if any extra paperwork her Amphur want....
                many thanks
                essex boys

Comment

Well I emailed the British embassy last night enquiring why there are no appointments available for the next 6 months.....the reply said congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, please seek further advice from your local Amphur regarding any further documentation they may need...!! And that was it! So I sent a more clearly worded response asking for an appointment in December. I'm just thankful I'm not relying for help in an emergency from the embassy

Comment

Originally posted by Essex boys View Post
                    Well I emailed the British embassy last night enquiring why there are no appointments available for the next 6 months.....the reply said congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, please seek further advice from your local Amphur regarding any further documentation they may need...!! And that was it! So I sent a more clearly worded response asking for an appointment in December. I'm just thankful I'm not relying for help in an emergency from the embassy
                    Could be an automated response, today is a government holiday also.
                    bangkok mags

Comment

Essex Boys,

Keep refreshing the site daily. Last year I think my flight landed in Thailand on the 5th June. I had one month to get everything done, marriage, new passports, new ID card, affirmation, translations etc. When I initially went on the website for Affirmation appointments the earliest I could get was the 20th, squeaky bum time. But each day I checked and one would open up on the 18th, then next day the 12th, next day the 8th until I got one for the 7th. As soon as an earlier appointment opens up just click change on your email for your appointment. You aren't charged at all. Good luck.

Comment

This Is the message I keep getting
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure what to advise here. I cant remember if you've booked your travel already to Thailand. Normally booking an appointment this early and advanced would be perfect, but due to Covid and the whole travel situation maybe lots have decided to book a Xmas trip thinking flights will be back to normal. I know lots on here have said they wont be flying until Nov/Dec and that's just the people on this forum. Maybe keep checking it daily to see if a slot opens up al the way through to August. Then in September maybe get on the phone to them, but that's only if you have already paid for your travel....if you haven't paid then maybe book your travel and wedding based on the date you get an appointment and work from that.

Maybe they don't take bookings that far in advance? have you checked to see if you can book in Jan/Feb/Mar 2021 etc?

Good Luck.

Comment

I booked my new flight to Thailand using my EMD voucher because my previous flight booked in may was cancelled, I'm now traveling, hopefully, on the fourteenth of September, the plan is to marry in December but we will not make any arrangements untill I know I have an appointment booked, if it comes to it I will wait until I'm in Thailand before I attempt to book an appointment

Comment

If time in Thailand isn't an option then you will be ok I'm sure. I had a month in Thailand. I planned for everything to be done in 2 weeks, with 2 weeks extra to cover unexpected events before I flew back to the UK...

But definitely read that link I sent you from the other site with what documents to take with you at the certain places, Amphurs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs etc. It really was a godsend to me....This site is great for Visa info, but that particular article helped me out perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X