Which passport - after some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ray8472 View Post
    What we will do I think when the time comes is change her name in the UK by deed poll back to her maiden name, and then when we renew the UK passport it will be issued in the maiden name on the back of that name change, to match the Thai passport.
    Solves one problem but does it not have a knock on effect for all her bank accounts, driving licence, phone contracts etc. etc.

When will I see you again
    When Thai Air give me my money back

Comment

Solves one problem but does it not have a knock on effect for all her bank accounts, driving licence, phone contracts etc. etc
      Given that she resides permanently in Thailand now that isn't an issue. Just the one bank account in the UK with a tenner in it, which is inactive. Nothing else. But yes you would otherwise have all those to deal with as well normally.

As for me, I'm 2 or 3 years away from retiring permanently in Thailand. I've been remote working in Thailand for the last 7 months but am due to return to the UK next week. Probably stay in the UK for most of the remainder of the year until travel becomes easier, after which I'll be making regular trips across.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
        As far as changing her Thai ID card, I would imagine (but not sure) that she would need to change all her Thai ID if she changes her passport name.
        I'm sure someone will correct me on that though if wrong.
        Need change Thai ID (card) before passport, they will issue a Thai passport according to the name on a Thai ID card, and correct, should then change other IDs.

bangkok mags

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
          Need change Thai ID (card) before passport, they will issue a Thai passport according to the name on a Thai ID card,
          Is this something that could be done at the Thai Embassey in London at same time Su renews her passport ?
          Sy n Su

Comment

This does not effect Su's decision on her Thai passport but it is something to consider if she also has, or is going to be applying for, a UK passport.

Rules on passports (for the UK) changed (as mentioned above).
            Before when applying for or renewing your UK passport you could have a passport from a different country in a different name (for example if you married but kept your Thai passport in your maiden name.) But now you cannot do this.

When applying for a UK passport you are required to send in ALL valid passports you hold with the application and now they MUST be in the same name. If your Thai passport is in a different name to the UK one they will not issue a new UK passport until such times as the names match.

As far as changing her Thai ID card, I would imagine (but not sure) that she would need to change all her Thai ID if she changes her passport name.
            I'm sure someone will correct me on that though if wrong.
            Thanks Gary
            Sy n Su

Comment

Originally posted by SyThai View Post

Is this something that could be done at the Thai Embassey in London at same time Su renews her passport ?
              My understanding is they can deal with Thai ID's and Thai passports in London, I would ask the question to them or contact the Consulate in Hull if it is difficult to contact London, they were always on the ball with response times and the accuracy of the required information.
              Mrs has used the Thai Embassy in London, but I cannot remember if it was for ID or passport.

bangkok mags

Comment

Thai Embassy in the UK has a new website Royal Thai Embassy, London scroll down on the home page for info on Thai passports and ID cards

Steve

Comment

This does not effect Su's decision on her Thai passport but it is something to consider if she also has, or is going to be applying for, a UK passport.

Rules on passports (for the UK) changed (as mentioned above).
                  Before when applying for or renewing your UK passport you could have a passport from a different country in a different name (for example if you married but kept your Thai passport in your maiden name.) But now you cannot do this.

When applying for a UK passport you are required to send in ALL valid passports you hold with the application and now they MUST be in the same name. If your Thai passport is in a different name to the UK one they will not issue a new UK passport until such times as the names match.

Sounds like a right hassle to change everything over to our married name on Thai side of things.... been doing bit of further research!

Su recently renewed her UK passport last year, so need to worry about this for another 10 years any way ;-)
                  Sy n Su

Comment

I guess one option is not to have any valid Thai passport at the time of renewing the UK one. If the Thai one has expired at the time of renewal of the UK one, then there is no problem ?

Comment

Working...
                    X