Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which passport - after some help please

Evening All

Sorry if I’ve posted in wrong forum, also done a search with no joy.

After some please :-)

Su has British (married name) and also Thai (maiden name) passport.

For years, every visit back to LOS Su has used British and under 30 day trip.

This time will be 32 days and we’ve booked in married name (British passport) so a bit concerned about visa issue.

Su seems to think she done following before, hopefully this will work if so no visa prob:

Use British passport entering/ leaving UK, use Thai passport entering/ leaving Thailand ?

Thanks for your help and good to see this forum is still going strong

Sy
    Sy n Su

That shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be prepared to explain to the check-in staff if they ask.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
    Don't delay in getting your
    COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

My wife is in the same position. We've travelled to Thailand several times

Book plane ticket in married name

UK check-in counter and boarding - UK passport
      Arrive Bangkok airport Immigration - Thai passport

return journey
      BKK
      check-in counter- UK passport
      Immigration control - Thai passport
      departure gate - back to UK passport
      arrival UK - UK passport

Whatever you do, don't show both passports to Thai immigration unless they ask. My wife did that the first time, and we were almost prevented from leaving the country because the immigration officer unknown to us booked her into Thailand on the UK passport and then when she presented the Thai one to immigration on departure, there was no record of her arrival. Only the intervention of a supervisor who was very nice to us prevented us from being detained and missing the plane.

It is painful. I had advised my wife to get her UK passport in her maiden name so both were the same, but she preferred to take the advice of one other Thai friends at the time to get it in married name. And now there is the problem of course you can't renew the UK passport because the names are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ray8472 View Post
        I had advised my wife to get her UK passport in her maiden name so both were the same, but she preferred to take the advice of one other Thai friends at the time to get it in married name.
        We actually filled out Nok's Citizenship application in her maiden name but was advised at the appointment to change it to the married name, unknown to us the problems it would cause latter down the road, we did as was suggested.

Originally posted by ray8472 View Post
        And now there is the problem of course you can't renew the UK passport because the names are not the same.
        Good you are aware of this and it needs to be sorted to prevent a major headache at time of renewal of British passport.

Originally posted by SyThai View Post
        Su has British (married name) and also Thai (maiden name) passport.
        Sy, are you aware of the problems this causes now with renewal of the British passport?
        As in all passports held must be in the same name.
        When will I see you again
        When Thai Air give me my money back

Comment

Just check the Thai passport is fully in date, as immigration will let you in on an expired Thai passport, but if it's out of date, they will not let you out of the country on it, and you cannot use the UK one as not got the visa on arrival entry stamps. Wife had this very problem and it resulted in her being denied boarding, having to get new passport and flights. For which the travel insurance would not pay, as it was her error.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
            We actually filled out Nok's Citizenship application in her maiden name but was advised at the appointment to change it to the married name, unknown to us the problems it would cause latter down the road, we did as was suggested.
            My wife was naturalised under her maiden name, and the certificate is in that maiden name. Only when she needed a passport did she ask for it under her married name on the advice of her friend.

Comment

Thanks Guys.... that a great help and have put my mind at rest (I'm a bit of a worrier !)

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
              Sy, are you aware of the problems this causes now with renewal of the British passport?
              As in all passports held must be in the same name.
              To be fair have just renewed Su's British passport 2 months ago and no probs..... so easy now that can do all on line ;-)

Cheers Sy
              Sy n Su

Comment

I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?
                Probably helped having the name Su(e)
                Wish my wife had done the same but with her first name (Saowaluk) ...decidedly dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by galahad View Post
                  I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?
                  OK if not valid but if still valid, bit of a risk as does ask for all valid passports to be sent.
                  But it's paid off (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by galahad View Post
                    I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?.
                    I did form online for her.... must have missed that bit! Probably for the best then
                    Sy n Su

Comment

yep...saved yourself a whole load of grief....alongside the time and expense!
                      At least you have another 10 years to get her surname changed to yours before her next renewal.

Comment

Had a similar issue few years ago, about 15 (!). We both entered on our UK passports, both overstayed by a week, and were both fined. The IO told my wife that if she had presented her Thai ID card with her British passport then they would have given her a one year visa stamp. Never found out because after that we made sure she had her a Thai passport with her on entry.

Comment

Just looking back my previous posts...... (we're renewing Su's Thai Passport next week in London) what's best then to have her Thai Passport in our married name or keep as maiden name ?

Is it simple enough to change to married name if so using 'form1' assuming all we need to take along extra would be our marriage certificate.

Would it then mean Su would have to change her Thai ID also, or could this stay in maiden name?

Thanks very much

Sy
                          Sy n Su

Comment

This does not effect Su's decision on her Thai passport but it is something to consider if she also has, or is going to be applying for, a UK passport.

Rules on passports (for the UK) changed (as mentioned above).
                            Before when applying for or renewing your UK passport you could have a passport from a different country in a different name (for example if you married but kept your Thai passport in your maiden name.) But now you cannot do this.

When applying for a UK passport you are required to send in ALL valid passports you hold with the application and now they MUST be in the same name. If your Thai passport is in a different name to the UK one they will not issue a new UK passport until such times as the names match.

As far as changing her Thai ID card, I would imagine (but not sure) that she would need to change all her Thai ID if she changes her passport name.
                            I'm sure someone will correct me on that though if wrong.
                            Last edited by Gary & Nok; 7 Jun 2021, 13:16.

Comment

Massively annoying new rule for sure, but I can understand it. it doesn't make a lot of sense having passports in different names.

As above - my wife's UK passport is in her married name, and Thai passport in maiden name. She did say that she would indeed have to change the name on her Thai ID card as well as passport.

What we will do I think when the time comes is change her name in the UK by deed poll back to her maiden name, and then when we renew the UK passport it will be issued in the maiden name on the back of that name change, to match the Thai passport.

Comment

Working...
                              X