Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thailand Holiday with Thai and UK Passports.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thailand Holiday with Thai and UK Passports.

    (Mods please move if in the wrong section)
    Hi all, Its been a while since i last posted. I sort of got worn out with Covid twice (First time seriously ill) and i had also helped friends wifes and kids with UK Visas etc.
    All in all i stepped back after 14 successful visa applications for us and friends. The application process is fine its just dealing with Thai women!! They believe Facebook more than me
    Its nice to see the old names still on the forum. I must check in more often
    I have a question now Morn and Meeo (Wife and stepson) have their UK Passports.
    Whats the best way to travel to Thailand?
    Present both passports at check in or just UK outbound but present Thai on arrival, then UK return check in and the Thai one when they go through Passport control?
    Thanks for any info
    Kingy

  • #2
    Hi Kingy

    A very timely question as Nok, our son and I are heading off to BKK, Korat, Bang Saen and various points in between very shortly to see the in-laws after a three year hiatus due to covid.

    Nok will present her Thai passport only at Heathrow check-in and again at Thai immigration. She will not show her UK passport at Thai immigration.

    She will present her UK passport only at the airline check-in desk at BKK which proves to the airline that she has the right of entry to the UK. She will show her Thai passport only at the exit desk at Thai immigration. Thus, as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, she has entered and exited Thailand on the same (Thai) passport.

    On arrival at LHR, She will pass through UK immigration using her UK passport only.
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

    Comment


    • #3
      We’re flying out Tuesday evening so very useful stuff.

      My kids will be entering Thailand on UK passports as Thai Embassy in London won’t issue a passport if kids names aren’t on house book (hence a trip to the home city).
      My eldest has an expired Thai passport and haven’t got one yet for my youngest.

      Comment


      • #4
        If we travel later this year both of us will enter and leave both countries using UK passports and if at some point my wife wishes to stay longer than 30 days she will enter using her expired Thai passport.
        It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tom & Nok View Post
          Hi Kingy

          A very timely question as Nok, our son and I are heading off to BKK, Korat, Bang Saen and various points in between very shortly to see the in-laws after a three year hiatus due to covid.

          Nok will present her Thai passport only at Heathrow check-in and again at Thai immigration. She will not show her UK passport at Thai immigration.

          She will present her UK passport only at the airline check-in desk at BKK which proves to the airline that she has the right of entry to the UK. She will show her Thai passport only at the exit desk at Thai immigration. Thus, as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, she has entered and exited Thailand on the same (Thai) passport.

          On arrival at LHR, She will pass through UK immigration using her UK passport only.
          Thanks for this Tom & Nok
          Nice to have a sanity check on such issues.
          Yes makes sense although i did wonder if UK Immigration would ask how we left the UK and on what passport?
          16 Days to go to our 3 week holiday
          Looking forward to our Phuket/Udon Thani/BKK/Phuket trip.
          A lot of friends and family to catch up with.
          Have a good time too
          Kingy

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Kingy

            UK immigration don't seem bothered as long as you're not flagged up as a person of concern.

            For example, we left the UK for an Easter break in Spain using EU (Irish) passports. This meant that we avoided the long non-EU queue at Malaga Airport - there was only one other family ahead of us in the EU/EEA/CH queue at Malaga immigration.

            We left Malaga on our EU passports but used our UK passports to pass through UK immigration.

            No problems!

            Have a great break too - yes, there's a lot of catching up to do over the coming weeks 555.
            "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

            Comment


            • #7
              Please don't shot the messenger... A number of years ago I had a bit of a debate with Emirates check-in at Glasgow Airport regarding which passport to use when leaving the UK. Emirates told me that both the UK and Thai passports should be presented when departing the UK. Of course a Thai national will pass through Thai immigration using their Thai passport but both the Thai and UK passports should be presented at check-in when leaving Thailand

              Comment


              • #8
                If folks are travelling for only a few weeks and inside the visa waiver allowance using the UK passport alone works why complicate matters ???

                It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nealy View Post
                  Emirates told me that both the UK and Thai passports should be presented when departing the UK.
                  Not shooting the messenger but that's all well and good if the passports are in the same name as on the ticket. Nice way to open a can of worms.

                  The airline check-in desk have no idea what passports you hold. The only thing they are interested in is that you present a passport with the same name as the booking and that the passport has 6 months validity left on it.

                  Only took 2 and half years. Thai Air finally coughed up my 2020 cancelled flight dosh

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    well we fly back to the UK today, its been an eventful 3 weeks.
                    I will update this thread in the next few days.
                    I must say that entering Phuket from Doha with Thai wife was an absolute breeze.
                    Not one person in front of us and just fingerprints taken without any forms to fill in.
                    Landing card not required any more.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ash View Post
                      If folks are travelling for only a few weeks and inside the visa waiver allowance using the UK passport alone works why complicate matters ???
                      yes agreed but try telling that to the wife

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Apologies for not ending this one.... Its been a bit hectic since we returned. (My mums had heart issues and my Thai sister in Law diagnosed with stomach cancer at 47)
                        So at check in we presented the UK passport and the Qatar Check in lady asked if my wife and son had 2 passports.
                        We said yes and presented them. Checked in no problem.
                        Went through Phuket Thai immigration showing Thai passports.
                        Before boarding in Qatar for our Manchester flight we presented all 3 UK passports.
                        A bit of messing around and honestly at Manchester my UK passport was rejected at the E gates as usual and Morn and Meeo got straight through
                        Kingy

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X