Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intestacy - Want to assist Thai wife on death of husband (scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intestacy - Want to assist Thai wife on death of husband (scotland)

I'm reaching out hoping someone may be able to advise.
    I have a friend who has passed away leaving no will. (substantial money, property etc)
    His wife is in Thailand (cannot return for funeral due to travel restrictions) plus don't think she has visa etc to travel anyways.
    Basically as no will his family believe that everything is theirs. I know my friend wanted everything to be left to his wife and I want to help her when and where i can but have no idea where she stands. Surely if a legal marriage his estate will automatically be left to his wife?

Has the deceased left any children? Was he legally married to the Thai wife? Are any of the deceased's parents still alive? Are there any siblings?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
    Don't delay in getting your
    COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

He has No children, (his Thai wife has one from previous relationship but not my friends biologically) he has no remaining parents, only one remaining sibling (which is the problem).
      As far as I am aware the marriage is legal (certainly in Thailand anyways) stamped etc.
      I’m unsure how I can find this part out?
      thank you

Comment

Scottish law is not my field, but IIRC the following is still good law: If the marriage is a legal one, the wife will have an interest in the house up to £473,000, furniture and household items up to £29,000 and £89,000 of the balance of everything else.

If there’s anything left after that, half goes to the wife and the other half goes to the surviving siblings.
        Tobias - โทเบียส
        Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
        Don't delay in getting your
        COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by tryingtohelp View Post
          As far as I am aware the marriage is legal (certainly in Thailand anyways) stamped etc.
          I’m unsure how I can find this part out?
          Start by asking his wife for a copy of the Thai marriage certificate. A marriage has to be registered at the Amphur - a local council office. A marriage registered in Thailand is recognised in the UK. But if they only had a village religious ceremony, then they were not legally married.

'Tis me

Comment

Working...
          X