Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What constitutes as working in Thailand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What constitutes as working in Thailand?

What constitutes as working in Thailand?

I understand the part of working as a paid job and in the role of some voluntary work

But how far does this extend?

Do things like washing the windows of my property, planting and harvesting rice and veg etc in our fields, painting my house and wall and doing general maintenance on our property mean I am working?

I ask because I do not want to get a visit when I am home because someone has taken a dislike to what Ohm and I have achieved

Thanks

Wayne
    Back at it

As far as dong the things you mention I think it will depend how many enemies you have made in the village. From my understanding (probably wrong) but if you do ANYTHING that could be done be a Thai then you are breaking the law.

I'm sure someone will set you right but that is how I understand it and why I do absolutely nothing when at my place
    When will I see you again
    When Thai Air give me my money back

Comment

I saw a TV show a few years ago where I think some Brits or Aussies were working in Thailand and had work permit to do so. Think it was to do with get some printed designs on t-shirts or something like that.
      I think they then got in trouble for doing something like painting their wall or fence of their property.
      I cannot remember if this was exactly this but similar circumstances.

I believe the show was on Sky/ cable and it showed embassies dealing/ helping with issues their nationals had in Thailand.

Comment

I think it varies from place to place to be honest. And also how everyone gets along in the area you live.

My neighbour is a chippy by trade and ran his own building company before retiring and he does most of his own maintenance, but he can't really be seen (I live on a gated development). I tend my own garden, sometimes clean windows (usually a job for the cleaner) and other such tasks. I think if you're doing stuff within your own grounds, or brushing away leaves and stuff from outside, then everything should be okay. Painting the exterior garden wall, perhaps not. But I wouldn't risk being seen out in the fields working, if I was you.

Just give it time and feel the lie of the land. So far, you will have been seen in a good light as you are using local contractors and buying locally (aircon) and earning a lot of kudos. I think as long as you continue to do that to some degree (contractor painting exterior garden wall) as a sort of trade off, then you shouldn't have any issues.

'Tis me

Comment

This is fascinating stuff and I am completely oblivious to this type of behaviour......So the locals/ neighbours will report you if they feel that they should be doing the work? On your own property!! Keep this stuff coming, I need to know this and any other bizarre aspects of Thai culture and life....
          "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Had a chat about this with immigration a few years ago. You can (could) repair, paint or do any work on your own property including garden walls, but not rented property. I've been doing it since no problems, but I know someone who got into bother working in his wife's leased shop.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

I don't think we have made enemies at the moment but you can never tell. We have used 3 different groups from the village to do work on our property, so we are trying to spread the love 5555.
              I will just try to do stuff within the compound and try and keep out of the fields.
              When I eventually get to Chiayaphum Immigration Office I will see what they suggest

Back at it

Comment

Just to add to this, yesterday early evening, for the first time, I ordered from a place that sells a UK variant on an Asian food. I live a way out of town, so wasn't sure they deliver here, but they confirmed they do. I expected a young Asian guy on a bike. What I got was a Brit in a SUV, obviously doing the rounds of orders, presumably with something to keep the food heated, as it was still hot - and very good!
                'Tis me

Comment

Agree with the location aspect. I would imagine that if you are seen to be keeping your property clean and maintained you are looked upon favourably by all. If you are seen to be doing work that can later be profited from, such as picking large amounts of fruit rather than the odd mango, then I can foresee some issues.

I have always lived by the rule that I can do anything within the confines of my own property as long as it looks like general maintenance. Sharing the wealth can be a good thing but it also can be a curse. I remember my dad took a group of his workers out for a Christmas drink one year. He put X amount behind the bar and was called "tight". The next year he walked into the pub, rolled out X amount of notes and gave them a few quid each. On the way out he was called a "flash git." I tend to keep myself very private where we live and it works. Depends on your surroundings and wife's relationship to the locals chum.

Comment

Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.
                    1. Manual work
                    2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision
                    3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works
                    4. Wood carving
                    5. Driving mechanically propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting
                    6. Shop attendance
                    7. Auction
                    8. Supervising, auditing or giving service in accountancy excluding internal auditing on occasions
                    9. Cutting or polishing jewelry
                    10. Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment
                    11. Cloth weaving by hand
                    12. Weaving of mate or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle
                    13. Making of Sa paper by hand
                    14. Lacquer ware making
                    15. Making of Thai musical instrument
                    16. Niello ware making
                    17. Making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy
                    18. Bronze ware making
                    19. Making of Thai dolls
                    20. Making of mattress or quilt blanket
                    21. Alms bowls casting
                    22. Making of silk products by hand
                    23. Casting of Buddha images
                    24. Knife making
                    25. Making of paper of cloth umbrella
                    26. Shoemaking
                    27. Hat Making
                    28. Brokerage or agency excluding brokerage or agency in international trade business
                    29. Engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work
                    30. Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimating, construction directing or advising
                    31. Garments making
                    32. Pottery or ceramic ware making
                    33. Cigarette making by hand
                    34. Guide or conducting sightseeing tours
                    35. Street Vending
                    36. Type setting of Thai characters by hand
                    37. Drawing and twisting silk-thread by hand
                    38. Office or secretarial work
                    39. Legal or lawsuit services
                    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

19. Making Thai dolls.

There go my weekend plans down the toilet.

Comment

Barnet

Yeah I hear what you are saying, I tend to keep myself to my self. I only intend to do the work for general upkeep, Ohm does quite a but I like to do also, afterall it is my home.
                        This general work around your property seems to be the consensus that its ok to do!

Thai Dolls seems like a great hobbie mate 55555

-Keith-

I am happy woth those things ref work. I have no intention of doing any work like that, I ain't interested. Once I get finished in Iraq (in about 18 months I hope), that will be me living a life of riley, not minted but comfortable on my military pension. Hence to rush to get everything done before I retire.
                        Back at it

Comment

That list Keith produced looks like it hasn't been updated since around 1974 and the invention of the Computer. On that basis and that list, IT jobs are fair game
                          "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

You can do whatever you want on your own property or land (read spouse) but not on rented or leased. Same goes for working on your land (inc agriculture) providing they are not for sale OR to give away for free. You can, cultivate, grow and harvest and donate but unless your spouse delivers they must collect from your land.
                            The above does not however stop jealous people reporting you just the same.
                            My wife has several rai and some that she rents out. I put a new road in some years ago employing several heavy machines and operators. I was 'hands on'. I also built our own house (I'm a joiner to trade) employing others.
                            Several visits from immigration and local employment department. No problems as all on my wife's property and we were not charging anyone for service or goods.

The employment law has not really changed in 20 years
                            Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Comment

Originally posted by ian1208 View Post
                              You can do whatever you want on your own property or land (read spouse) but not on rented or leased. Same goes for working on your land (inc agriculture) providing they are not for sale OR to give away for free. You can, cultivate, grow and harvest and donate but unless your spouse delivers they must collect from your land.
                              The above does not however stop jealous people reporting you just the same.
                              My wife has several rai and some that she rents out. I put a new road in some years ago employing several heavy machines and operators. I was 'hands on'. I also built our own house (I'm a joiner to trade) employing others.
                              Several visits from immigration and local employment department. No problems as all on my wife's property and we were not charging anyone for service or goods.

The employment law has not really changed in 20 years
                              Thanks Ian

So as long as I am on Ohm's (our) property doing things for us there should be no drama? Happy with that, Cheers
                              Back at it

Comment

Working...
                              X