This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorcing in Thailand

Hi I urgently need help on how to get a divorce in Thailand.

I married in an ampur in Khonkaen 2 years ago. I will go to an ampur in Bangkok for the divorce. (district office)

As far as i know I need a legalised copy of my passport, both marriage certificates, a translator and witness. (assuming this is a uncontested divorce). I have coppied the passport and have had it legalised here in the uk to certify it is a true copy of the original.

Ok here are the issues.

I have a new UK passport and my ex says that I need to get this translated and stamped to make it a legal translation. I'm assuming this is done at the ministry of foreign affairs. Why does this need to be translated?

Also my ex says she needs 20000bht for protection from the police (this could mean legal aid..not sure) and if I don't pay her that she will not divorce me.

Also she said I need to put approx 1000bht in an envelope and give it as a tip/backhander to the people at the ampur to make everything go smoothely.

From all the threads and forums I've read, I have not seen anybody mention this.

Is what she is telling me correct?

She was in complete agreement but her tone has changed over the last few days, as if somebody has had a word with her and it seems she is trying to make abit of money.

Is it advisiable to just bite the bullet as its only £500.

If anybody has been through a thai divorce, any help is much appreciated.

Basic facts
    She now lives in thailand
    no kids
    only married 2 years
    No joint assets etc
    Her mother is an evil person

Regards

Bobby

Her mother is an evil person
    Sorry Bobby whilst tragic all round, that bit made me LOL. Even if true!

Basically what your wife wants is bribe money and no doubt Will 'smooth' the path to freedom. TIT.
    20k bht? protection/ legal aid? Never heard of it. Perhaps just her modest expenses.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure what the protection thing is...she said she needs protection by the police...God knows what she's on about.....it seems abit too low for a sweetner..but then again that figure might end up doubling or trippling whilst im there!!

Comment

Blackmail that's what that is Bobby.
        Having said that £500 is a small price to pay in order to get your life back on track.

Sorry I cannot advise you on what is or is not required.
        From what I understand from my wife who divorced her Thai husband 8 years ago it costs next to nothing.Just a case of going together to the Amphur to sign. No T money required.
        Welcome to Thai UK. I think you will get the correct answers on here.

If it was me I would tell her to go to that bad place down below.
        I doubt I would get involved with another if it was to go belly up with my wife.
        If I did I would never marry again twice is enough for anyone.

Are you intending to stay in Thailand or are you there just to do the divorce thing.

Comment

Hi Vulcan

As you say it is a small price to pay, so I may just do it. also she said she will pay for this so called "protection" and I need to pay her back so there may be a slight element of truth in it..but who cares :-)

I got a few days in BKK then spending bout 10 days in Pattaya..One must comfort himslef in moments of despair - - - Updated - - -

Hi Vulcan

As you say it is a small price to pay, so I may just do it. also she said she will pay for this so called "protection" and I need to pay her back so there may be a slight element of truth in it..but who cares :-)

I got a few days in BKK then spending bout 10 days in Pattaya..One must comfort himslef in moments of despair
          Last edited by richardb; 10 Jan 2013, 11:32. Reason: The bit deleted is not suitable for a family forum:

Comment

Hello Bobby

Divorce in Thailand at the Amphur that you originally married in is a ten minute exercise if there is no arguments about money or the custody of children.

Your two marriage certificates and your passport would I am sure be enough for the legal side of the divorce.

As far as giving her any money or oiling the wheels of the Amphur pure testicles!

If you pay what is nothing more than blackmail money you are a MUG!

Sorry to be so blunt owd lad!

Just remember this when you are shortly out of her life so to speak, nay even now she will, if she has not already a replacement Farang in mind, be wanting a divorce as much as you do now.

So just tell her that the only thing you are giving her is a divorce and no money.

I will give odds that she accepts your stance perhaps ungracefully but what the heck what have you to lose!
            http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Simpletarian

Comment

Personally, I'd tell her to go and jump in a hole.

There should be no expenses at all for an amicable divorce in the Amphur.

Protection she says? From what exactly?

Anyway, if you do decide to pay her, make sure it's AFTER you've got the divorce papers in your hands.
              "You're so unapproachable!"
              "And yet, here you are."

Comment

I would also be concerned that the price might go up before she signs. So paperwork first then the cash.

Have fun but take care in you comfort zone.;

Biff beat me to it

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The original ampur was somewhere in Khonkaen, and she lives in BKK now, hence we decided to do it there. Her district office said that because my passport is new that it would have to be translated (which makes no sence to me).

Do you think i should just turn up with my passport.. will they just accpet that. I have legalised copies to.

Comment

Just to add another point.

Once I get my divorce certificate. Do I need to get this translated and legalised? Would I also need to register this with UK embassy?

Comment

Originally posted by bobby3101 View Post
                      Once I get my divorce certificate. Do I need to get this translated and legalised? Would I also need to register this with UK embassy?
                      A certified translation is just fine and no you do not register a divorce with the Embassy.

Richard
                      It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Comment

All I can tell you is my experience:

No fees (apart from the usual photocopying)

No passport translation

No witness.

Whole process took less than an hour at Bangrak Amphur.

I can't remember why but for some reason its far easier to do if you go to the same Amphur that registered the marriage.

Comment

Flip what ampur did you go to?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
                            Whole process took less than an hour at Bangrak Amphur.
                            As above, its in Bangkok

Comment

Hi
                              I got divorced in an amphur in Pattaya. Myself and my then wife just turned up, took a ticket, waited for our number to be called then after a bit of form filling which took about 10 minutes we were divorced. The whole thing cost less than £10

Comment

Working...
                              X