renew documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renew documents

Hey all. Im going to Thailand soon to retire (august) to stay for a couple of years .....uk passport runs out 2024 and driving licence runs out 2025 ....Question can I renew both in Thailand or do I come home and do it. Another problem is for the driving licence I won't have a uk address !!!
    What do I do please ?
    cheers
    dave

Dont know about your licence..perhaps get an International one before you go?
    Easy enough to renew your passport at the Trendy building..

Comment

You may need to get a UK address for the driving licence normally after 12 months you need a local licence and the UK one is returned to the DVLA but thats been my experience in Europe. Can you not ask a friend to let you use the UK address?
      Can it be renewed early ?
      Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
        ... Can it be renewed early ?
        The UK License cannot be renewed until a month before it expires. The passport however can be renewed by applying for a new one. Given how much time is unexpired (and the new EU rules regarding the 10 year validity) it might be worthwhile obtaining a new UK passport prior to leaving for Thailand. It will be quicker, easier and cheaper.
        Tobias - โทเบียส
        Every vaccination gives us HOPE.
        Don't delay in getting your
        COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered.

Comment

cheers everyone for the inputs. clearly have some thinking to do. I dont have friends or family consequently do not have access to an address in the uk......im sure im not the first person to have this problem....
          thanks guys.
          dave.

Comment

Originally posted by daabren View Post
            Hey all. Im going to Thailand soon to retire (august) to stay for a couple of years .....uk passport runs out 2024 and driving licence runs out 2025 ....Question can I renew both in Thailand or do I come home and do it. Another problem is for the driving licence I won't have a uk address !!!
            What do I do please ?
            cheers
            dave
            British passport renewals are applied and paid for online, but you will need to attend a short in-person interview in Bangkok or Chiang Mai (if still applicable). You will be given your old passport back IE may have a Valid Visa (for Thai immigration) but it will be cancelled for travel, you will be sent an email when the new passport is ready for collection, you can pick it up in-person or have someone authorized to pick it up for you, needs name, birthday etc checked, then signed for, I did this in BKK for Mrs new British passport last year, I have had at least 3 British passports from TH.
            bangkok mags

Comment

You haven't asked about this but, if you do not have access to a UK address what are your banking plans, many banks (most) will not accept a Thai address or will not post cards etc. to it.

Comment

Well Das I need a bank for my gov pension. They dont send me any mail now anyway and I use it as a holding account for all my money and just transfer the money when I need it. They know I am going away for a few years and they are ok with that .

Comment

When I left the UK I spoke with Nationwide who told me it wouldn't be a problem living in Thailand so I closed the other accounts I had as they said it would be an issue. However after a year Nationwide would not send replacement cards to Thailand so I had them sent to my son, but he kept moving around then to a cousin and now back to my son as he seems to have settled down. I would try not to put all our eggs in one basket so to speak as things do change. You will need up to date cards for a card reader at least. I know there are very efficient banking apps for phones but I'm not keen on that idea and if they have a Thai phone no. perhaps they will close your account. I keep hearing of banks doing this if people live overseas.

Comment

Working...
                  X