Referees for citizenship application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark and Orn

Sorry for making myself unclear. If you manage to bag a free appointment at a core service point then you can either scan and upload the documents yourself (cost to you = £0), or you can pay for the Sopra Steria/UKVCAS clerk to do it for you (cost to you = £51). If Sopra Steria/UKVCAS do the scanning at a core service point then they call that an "added value service". The scanning and uploading fee is already built into the cost of non-core service point appointments.

We had an appointment in November at the Croydon core service point and that cost £65 (no free appointments available). I scanned and uploaded the paperwork myself. I would have had to pay an additional charge of £51 in addition to the £65 appointment fee for the clerk to do it for us - easy money for Sopra Steria.

Anyway, it took just under three months from submitting biometrics at Croydon to receiving the Home Office's success decision this week.

Hope all goes well for you.
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Congratulations to you both.

I thought we just had to pay for it - there did not seem to be any other option. Anyway it's all done now and they can scan the documents. Do they keep anything like passports?

In the past I used to prepare a big folder and index everything but I have not this time.

Thanks Mark and Orn

Comment

Thanks Mark and Om

No, they don't keep the passports. All that UKVI want are scanned copies of every page, and the clerk at the Sopra Steria/UKVCAS biometrics service point does that as part of the scanning and upload service if that's included in your appointment.
        "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Brilliant - thank you.

Comment

Hi all - Does anybody know roughly what the timescales are once a Citizenship application has been submitted?
            (I only ask as my wife has a friend who applied on Monday and got email confirmation that her application had been successful today and went to same place for biometrics and document check.)

Thank you, Mark and Orn

Comment

Hi Mark we had our citizenship letter from immigration came last Saturday 20th March almost 16 weeks, although the letter is dated 9 March.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve and well done. Orn's friend went on Monday and got an email confirming al ok on the Wednesday!
                I have never known anything like that. Happy for them though.

Comment

Can you use a retired person as a referee ?.
                  Can you use a person who`s UK passport has expired as a referee ?.
                  Thank you for help.

Comment

One referee needs to be a professional person and the other a British citizen over the aged of 25.

I don't think it matters if their passport has expired as it asks your their nationality and then if have a UK passport. I imagine an expired passport is not an issue as you add the number.
                    I don't know about using a retired person but I had read they have put retired and what their profession used to be.

For my wife we used my police officer friend (British citizen) and then her friend who is from (British citizen).

For my stepdaughter we used her college teacher (EU citizen) who she has know about a year to fulfil child knows them in a professional capacity and my wife's friend (British citizen).
                    My wife and her friend are both from Uthai Thani, both met each other in Phuket and are both in the UK. She has know my stepdaughter about 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by leshemp View Post
                      Can you use a retired person as a referee ?.
                      Can you use a person who`s UK passport has expired as a referee ?.
                      Thank you for help.
                      Mrs first UK passport she used a friend who was retired engineer and ex-chairman of the local council, and another friend who was an airline pilot (at that time).
                      She is now on her second UK passport, so it was sometime ago and cannot comment on current applications, but at that time, the answer was yes (retired person). A small world, but both referees currently now reside in TH with their Thai spouses.
                      bangkok mags

Comment

Hi, would you class a British Telecoms Engineer as a professional person ?.

Comment

BT "engineers" start with Level 2 qualification (that's the equivalent of a good GCSE pass). Unfortunately the title "engineer" is not protected in the UK, unlike in many other countries (e.g. Germany, USA, Australia, Canada etc.), and so anyone in the UK can call themselves an "engineer".

My understanding that an "engineer" for UK passport purposes is a person with graduate level professional engineering qualifications who is registered with and a member of a professional engineering organisation (e.g. the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and so on). So they are engineers with letters after their name, for example John Smith, C.Eng, MIMechE (Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers).

Comment

Originally posted by Tom & Nok View Post
                            BT "engineers" start with Level 2 qualification (that's the equivalent of a good GCSE pass). Unfortunately the title "engineer" is not protected in the UK, unlike in many other countries (e.g. Germany, USA, Australia, Canada etc.), and so anyone in the UK can call themselves an "engineer".

My understanding that an "engineer" for UK passport purposes is a person with graduate level professional engineering qualifications who is registered with and a member of a professional engineering organisation (e.g. the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and so on). So they are engineers with letters after their name, for example John Smith, C.Eng, MIMechE (Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers).
                            Thank you, I never realised how hard it is to find a professional referee.

Comment

Yes you can use a retired person from the list of approved professions
                              If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Does anyone have copies of the online application form, showing what information is required of the referees ?.

Comment

Working...
                                X