Visit to Khao Yai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to Khao Yai

Just had a few days in Khao Yai as we had never been before, Mrs always advised against it, too many tourists etc. so we went midweek.

Overall It was quite a nice place to visit though very touristy and lots more resorts being built. We visited the national park and I had to pay the foreigner price of 400bht and one of the two main waterfalls and a major viewpoint were closed. Saw some animals mostly deer scattered around but no elephants. Walked a couple of trails in the forest lots of leeches. Was the park worth the 400bht probably not but 40 for the wife and 20 for my daughter was good value.

There other places to visit and many nice coffee shops with lovely views. Popped into the Chocolate factory whilst it was raining, nice things in there but very fattening and a little on the pricy side. Visited an amazing restaurant in Pak Chong town by the river "Ban Mai Chay Nam restaurant " which is also a museum. Lots and lots of things from movies and elsewhere. https://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2...rant-khao-yai/ Check it out on the link. Food OK but not as good as the place itself.

Also visited the Art museum, nice place and free of charge. "Bonanza Exotic farm and zoo" (150bht each) Loved the birds in the large aviary not too happy about some of the pens/cages for the larger animals. This and the restaurant were the two places the family liked the most. Primo Piazza nothing much there a few animals and a few Italian style buildings, I got in at Thai price 100bht but in my opinion it wasn't worth it. Pete Maze was better, daughter really enjoyed it despite being unable to find the way out.

I was saddened somewhat to see that despite many tourists visiting the area and many a lot richer than myself many of the local people living in or near poverty. I would like to see some money filter through to the poor and not just the big businesses. Many roads also in very poor repair.

All in all a nice time and a few days away from home.
    I have one big gripe about one place but will post that separately later.

Originally posted by DAS View Post
    Just had a few days in Khao Yai as we had never been before, Mrs always advised against it, too many tourists etc. so we went midweek.

Overall It was quite a nice place to visit though very touristy and lots more resorts being built. We visited the national park and I had to pay the foreigner price of 400bht and one of the two main waterfalls and a major viewpoint were closed. Saw some animals mostly deer scattered around but no elephants. Walked a couple of trails in the forest lots of leeches. Was the park worth the 400bht probably not but 40 for the wife and 20 for my daughter was good value.
    Khao Yai as it stands are real sticklers for foreigners to pay 400 TB, I was around the National Park and Pak Chong a couple of times last month, Mrs went to show my (pink) Thai ID card at the northern entrance (Korat) but wanted 400 TB, so she did nt want to pay, we drove the Saraburi way through the park to BKK.
    Going back we went the southern route Prachin Buri and it was the same, but bit the bullet and paid,I had not been in the park proper since 2003.
    I did read somewhere that the tourist authorities are asking the government to approve foreigners who live here pay the same as Thais in ALL the national parks.
    I maybe off to Pak Chong again next month.
    bangkok mags

Comment

To be honest I doubt I will be visiting any National Parks again except Koh Taratao in the south but not sure about that either. The best two Nat Parks I have visited are Doi Inthanon paid Thai price and Sam Roi Et paid full 200bht, but I think they are both much better parks than Khao Yai so why 400 and not 200? Greed?
      Did try the pink ID card too.

Comment

To be honest I doubt I will be visiting any National Parks
        That'd be a shame! I always found visiting one of the National Parks to be one of the highlights whenever I went on a road trip.

so why 400 and not 200? Greed?
        No idea! This is Thailand after all...

Comment

Working...
        X