Koh Larn. Read this before you go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koh Larn. Read this before you go.

Tried to go to Koh Larn today, went a few times last year it was nice just a few tourists, so now it's opened up again thought we would have a day there.
    However on arriving at the jetty we were told EVERYONE has to have the Mor Chana app on your smart phone. The missus has it on hers but my phone has a small memory which is full and I have had no problem signing in anywhere or tagging on behind her when she goes into anywhere. I was told no app no entry. The little obnoxious guy was really rude and offensive. So if you are thinking of visiting there and anyone for eg. granny or children or yourself does not have the app you WILL be turned away. I vowed never to go there again about 6 years ago due to the pollution and noise and thousands of tourists, but relented after it was opened after the first covid wave. Today with all their businesses broke they lost 4 meals 4 sun loungers and 2 rented motor cycles. I will NOT be returning.

Maybe they regard the health of their visitors above $$$$$. This is no different to being told that you wouldn't be allowed in a supermarket without wearing a mask.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Here's an article from Pattaya news, which details the SAFETY measures being taken.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/01/2...lated-closure/
      If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

The app is also required for entering Phuket. In addition there is a website that visitors must register their travel plans on.

Comment

That link to Pattaya news is out of date now Keith, Chonburi is not a restricted zone anymore.

I didn't realise that Phuket will not allow anyone in if they don't have the app either, looks like our holiday to Phuket in April will be cancelled, have to go elsewhere like Koh Chang fortunately not booked hotels yet. The main thing was that everyone has to have the app not everyone has a smart phone and not everyone can upload the app which I'm told has some faults if you are visiting as a family it should not be an issue. I can visit anywhere by registering myself and having a temp check.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS View Post
            That link to Pattaya news is out of date now Keith, Chonburi is not a restricted zone anymore.
            That link takes you to a news story dtd 21/1 about Koh Larn reopening and the covid safety measures.

Comment

I didn't realise that Phuket will not allow anyone in if they don't have the app either, looks like our holiday to Phuket in April will be cancelled, have to go elsewhere like Koh Chang fortunately not booked hotels yet. The main thing was that everyone has to have the app not everyone has a smart phone and not everyone can upload the app which I'm told has some faults if you are visiting as a family it should not be an issue. I can visit anywhere by registering myself and having a temp check.
              I went to Pangna a few weeks ago and came back the same day. They stopped everyone coming over the bridge temperature checked, took our ID’s, then we all had to park up collect the ids and sign a book putting our telephone number in. There were signs everywhere saying we should have the app, but no one checked. My car has Phuket plates and they would have known I only left the island in the morning.

In the last few weeks either Prayut or Anuson announced that everyone had to have the app and the next day said it was not mandatory, so who knows. I have it on my phone but have disabled Bluetooth and location so it’s useless, but I have it. No one has ever asked to see it. The governor of Phuket also announced this week that people from red areas did not have to quarantine for 14 days unless a disease control officer asked them to.

Personally I don’t think you will have to show anything or have any app or register any travel plans, even if you are coming from a red zone. Left hand right hand etc.

On the hotel front you should be able to get a 5 star hotel for 600/1000 per night. I’ve stayed a in a few in the last couple of months and very nice too.

Message me if you make it and I’ll meet you for a San Miguel light !!

Comment

The app isn't mandatory and it's obvious on a daily basis that most Thais prefer to write their name upon entering a store. This is because in the original lockdown, it was revealed details of peoples signing in and out were being passed to the military, which caused an uproar. After that, hardly anyone used it. But I guess if an island imposed that rule, then that's up to them.

A couple of weeks back, I drove from Bkk, a red zone, to Hua Hin, another red zone, via Petchaburi, yet another red zone. I saw two unmanned road checks en route. Hua Hin is no longer a red zone. I'm doing the same journey in reverse next week, it will be interesting to see if anything has changed. Especially as route 35 goes through Samut Sakhon.

By the by, I am only driving this time, because the buses haven't resumed yet. Normally I get the bus to Swampy, then the airport link and then finish with a quick taxi ride, all of which costs me less than getting to the bus station by taxi in Hua Hin. Robbing bar stewards!
                'Tis me

Comment

Trouble is things are constantly changing and with the potential for refugees coming over the border illegally anything can happen. Sometimes cases seem to get ignored and sometimes just one or two causes chaos. They have reacted differently to this wave than the first and I read today that the testing is too expensive so they will be scaling it back. I don't think they were doing many to begin with outside Samut Sakhon.
                  I forgot to mention that you need your passport too for Koh Larn driving licence is not acceptable. Not a good idea leaving that on the beach when taking a swim in my opinion. A little ironic too that the reason for the Koh Larn shutdown was Covid in the ferry staff themselves.

Comment

Read that Phuket have now even ditched the temperature checks upon entry. Even so if I go there in April I will not book any hotels unless they have pay on arrival option. Everything changes daily almost. Right now my biggest concern is air pollution over 150 at Bang Saray now, had a mild sore throat for days now, mask wearing more for that than Covid these days. Our new purchase an air purifier seems to be improving things I can smell the difference when I go out.

Comment

Read that Phuket have now even ditched the temperature checks upon entry. Even so if I go there in April I will not book any hotels unless they have pay on arrival option. Everything changes daily almost. Right now my biggest concern is air pollution over 150 at Bang Saray now, had a mild sore throat for days now, mask wearing more for that than Covid these days. Our new purchase an air purifier seems to be improving things I can smell the difference when I go out.
                      The air quality is once again a real menace, 19 provinces currently have unsafe air pollution with 30 districts of BKK in that category, Chalerm Prakiat district (Saraburi) normally has the worst (using 2018 data) even topping northern provinces during burning season. I read today that ''bush fires'' are responsible for the current PM2.5 haze (dust particles) in Chiang Mai.
                      The Nation : https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402336

bangkok mags

Comment

Working...
                      X