Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Carl, I'm sure there will be an associated cost over and above the parking, but I was simply responding to the assertion that there was a £40,000 per hour charge for parking at LHR on late departures - that is clearly not true as the actual cost is a tiny percentage of that.

Even if you take in to account any ancillary charges/costs you are looking at a small fraction of the £40,000 figure quoted. Aircraft are utilised with a little 'give' in the schedule to ensure that IRROPS can be handled and where there are significant delays aircraft can be utilised again later in the schedule without too much a delay further on. In that context the aircraft lease argument would carry no weight.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Yes, and again this works both ways. Passengers may suffer a variety losses because a flight is late - as I did when I missed my connecting flight due to the late arrival of my flight.

Comment

Agree completely I was just trying to bridge the gap

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
          Yes, and again this works both ways. Passengers may suffer a variety losses because a flight is late - as I did when I missed my connecting flight due to the late arrival of my flight.
          And this is exactly why the Emirates judgment is so important. Emirates said that because the delay giving rise to the claim was caused by the first flight leaving late, the delay for that flight was under the EC261/2004 limit for compensation. As the second flight was not flying from within the EU, that flight was outside the scope of EC261.

The Court of Appeal rejected that argument and stated that it is the time the passenger arrives at the destination that matters, not the time the passenger arrives at the connection point(s). Ergo, if a flight departs an EU country and a passenger is delayed in arriving at their destination because of a delay making their connection compensation under EC261 is payable notwithstanding that the connecting flight originated outside the EU.
          Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

I'm guessing though Tobias, that in the Emirates case, the connecting flights were also on Emirates. What I'd like to see is airlines being held to account when a late flight causes a passenger to miss a connecting flight on another airline/different ticket.

What would actually be refreshing is for a little more fair play from the airlines in general. In the example I gave in an earlier post where, through no fault of my own (nor the airline's), I was too late for check in. I was seconds late and had to buy new tickets yet airlines have to be several hours late before they have to pay compensation. In my case, the whole matter could have been settled and goodwill retained if I'd been allowed to take a stand-by seat on the next flight.

My view of airlines as rip off merchants is also strengthened by their behaviour on the few occasions where I've wanted to change a flight. Not once has this simply involved the fee to change - amazingly, the available seats have without fail, been more expensive. On some occasions, I've turned these more expensive seats down due to the cost and often wonder if that flight left with the seat unfilled?

I also wonder, if after having changed my flight, the airline sells the seat at the same price I paid for it - I doubt it. No doubt anyone enquiring about changing their seat and being offered the one I'd vacated, would also be told it was a more expensive seat.

Although in recent years the EU rulings on compensation have set matters partially right, I still feel the airlines get far too much of their own way. I appreciate that airlines are trying to make a profit, often on some very competitive routes but once you've bought a ticket, it seems the customer/airline relationship becomes very one sided.

At some point over the next couple of years I will lose my frequent flyer status as I will be flying far less and with it, lounge access - the only reason I stay with Etihad. At that point I will be voting with my feet due to some appalling experiences with Etihad's customer services. Whether or not I find an alternative airline with a more customer focused attitude remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
              I'm guessing though Tobias, that in the Emirates case, the connecting flights were also on Emirates. What I'd like to see is airlines being held to account when a late flight causes a passenger to miss a connecting flight on another airline/different ticket ...
              The ruling affects connecting flights on the same ticket (even if on difference carriers - the airline causing the delay being responsible for the compensation).

If the flights are on two separate tickets, then tough luck. Compensation would only be payable if the individual flight qualifies.
              Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                If the flights are on two separate tickets, then tough luck.
                My point precisely - tough luck but it shouldn't be.

Comment

There is nothing stopping you buying the flights on one ticket, is there?
                  Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Sometimes yes. These things are often arranged later - such as a trip to Phuket. The time when I missed my connecting flight to Leeds/Bradford, I can't remember why I chose to fly as in them days I normally did that journey by train. However, I doubt Uzbekistan Airlines offered a BKK/TAS/LHR/LBA ticket.

It is also sometimes possible to get a much cheaper fare by splitting it up. I do remember once entering a full flight itinerary on Travel Supermarket and it coming up with a price of £8000!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X