X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference In Flight Costs From & To Bangkok

Good Evening All.

I can pick up return flights from GLA or EDI to BKK for around £400 - £450 via one of the usual Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar hubs.

My other half is due to make her first trip to the UK in February, but her flights are jumping about between £550 - £650.

Even at the time of posting, there's a flight from Edinburgh to Suvarnabhumi for £440, but if she travels on the same dates in the other direction, the cheapest is £640.

Is it typical that flights originating in the UK are so much cheaper than those commencing in Thailand ?

Any reasons ?

And of more interest, any workarounds ?!

Thanks in advance.

Nam Dam.

yes this is normal,,,,i didn't go into it too much I bite the bullet and got the misses the best flight and easiest which was fin air reason =cheap =shortestest route ,quick lay over ,small airport this was to manchester no direct flights

Comment

Always been that way. The airlines will have some rubbish excuse but it doesn't wash.

Comment

to be honest i nearly booked a cheap one £239 from bkk to manchester via ukraine 22 hrs later a jet was shot down and air space was closed did they know SEEMS strange to me

Comment

Surely it comes down to exchange rates. If Sterling was 60 baht to the £ then it would actually be cheaper Bkk lon bkk.....further sterling drops against the Dollar the worse the difference becomes. Hopefully return to 52/53 in March 2019 would even us up somewhat

Comment

Best way I've found over the years wunderbar is if your buying BKK - UK, then look on Expedia.com (as opposed to Expedia.co.uk) - I pay something like £50 more but it's a reliable website and you know what your getting, you just need to monitor the prices.

Comment

Theres a similar thread August 2018 travel where people are looking at prices in both directions. I guess pricing is supply and demand Edinburgh, Thailand not much demand, higher prices. I gave up and booked Malay air in Aug Bankok to London 561pounds I would have preferred Manchester or Birmingham but they were just not coming in at that price.
              I agree with Wunderbar the exchange rates will be having a big influence on the pricing. If you are flexible in times and dates and airports that will always help.

Comment

Originally posted by wunderbar View Post
                Surely it comes down to exchange rates. If Sterling was 60 baht to the £ then it would actually be cheaper Bkk lon bkk.....further sterling drops against the Dollar the worse the difference becomes. Hopefully return to 52/53 in March 2019 would even us up somewhat
                Nope, it was the same when the exchange rate was 75. Its been this way as long as I can remember.

Comment

Its not just Thailand. My daughter-in-Law is coming from Sydney this month and is paying twice the fare from here to there.
                  Melnathan

Comment

Thanks for all comments.

Tried all the variables including quoting through Skyscanners' Thai site, but the pattern was repeated; coming to the UK was always more expensive than going from the UK.

Booked direct through BA and used some airmiles.

I've now switched off all price alerts as if the fare drops by a hundred quid overnight, I don't want to know !

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
                      Nope, it was the same when the exchange rate was 75. Its been this way as long as I can remember.
                      Certainly not the case. I flew the defunct Phuket air one way back to Gatwick literally a week before they grounded the motor and it was just £171 one way
                      I do agree overall the prices in reverse are always higher

Comment

it could be something to do with tax ,,and airport supplements ,i once priced flights from denmark to bkk ,and then london to bkk BA flights and starting point denmark was £100 cheaper with the connection at LHR same flight but a extra one ie denmark to london

Comment

uk departure tax

Comment

I've noticed that the airline prices are going up and up (August)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by te2008 View Post
                              I've noticed that the airline prices are going up and up (August)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
                              yes was just on skyscanner what a joke them prices are .there is no reason why they should be that ,,price fixing and our government should be coming down on this and i dont travel this time as i dont have little ones anymore but i feel for those that do have

Comment

Working...
                              X