This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Matrix Airfare Search] How to find the cheapest airfares - all airlines

This is a website I use regularly to find the best fares for a particular trip I am needing to take. As I have a high status with BA I restrict my searches to oneworld Alliance airlines.

The website is great for finding fares either for specific dates, or over a period of up to a month for any length of stay. Those who are in a specific airline alliance or prefer to fly with a specific airline from a specific airport can do that with accurate results. It will provide results from/to any commercial airport worldwide - particularly useful for those looking for the cheapest option to bring a partner/family member from BKK to any UK airport.

Once you have your results you are then able to filter them to find the best flights that suit your criteria.

You cannot book from the site, it merely checks the flights from the airlines, you then contact the airline direct (website/phone) or use your usual travel agent booking site.

The website only provides results for 'published' fares so any special 'bucket' fares will not be shown.

It's saved me thousands over the years - happy hunting!

Matrix Airfare Search
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

This is a good search engine that compares in real time what the airlines direct price is and what the likes of netflights, opodo, and skyscanner etc are pricing at. All in one place but although I personally have compared and went directly, I am having doubts on what is genuine and what is inflated because of your location when searching.
    Without exception for a scheduled flight, the airlines direct has always been cheaper for me from Scotland.

http://www.google.co.uk/flights/

SINCE POSTING AND THEN HAVING A LOOK AT TOBIAS'S LINK, DISCOUNT GOOGLE SEARCH AS TOBIAS'S LINK IS 1ST CLASS
    Last edited by Tobias; 13 Sep 2013, 12:03. Reason: Fixed BBCode on link
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Comment

I never use those online travel booking sites or click-throughs as you are not necessarily getting the airlines' best fares for the dates in question. There is a commercial relationship between the advertiser and the search-engine.

With the ITA Matrix software there is no commercial relationship at all so the results are simply the lowest prices and routings available at the time of the search.

I should point out that many low cost airlines do not publish their fares and so they are not be shown in the Matrix results.
      Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Just had a look with dept in November for 14 day stay and BA came in lowest at £598 with the next cheapest Thai at £940, a huge saving, prices include taxes etc.
        Double checking for a Thai discounted net fare there is one available for the same dates @ £634.00 so still a saving there.
        Last edited by Natty; 13 Sep 2013, 12:49.

Comment

BA have a sale at the moment. You have to book before September 24th to get the £598 seats

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...FWOWtAodtVUAfg

Comment

That means the sprog's passport will be returned on September 25th...

Comment

Is it not the same as Skyscanner?

Nick

Comment

Looking at it I would say that SS is a bit more flexible and gives promos etc

Comment

This is the go compare and the like of airline prices but very good Mr T.

colin 244

Comment

Originally posted by prioritypress View Post
                    Is it not the same as Skyscanner?
                    No. There is no commercial relationship with the airlines and there are no clock-through links top the airlines. What you find on the ITA Matrix are all the published fares offered direct by the airlines. You would then visit the airline's website or contact your usual web or high street travel agent to book the ticket. Results are not affected by commercial interests - it is raw, live data with a complete list of available flights and fares.

You will not find the bucket fares on that website at bucket fares are not 'published' fares.

Originally posted by Linne View Post
                    Looking at it I would say that SS is a bit more flexible ..
                    Why would you say that? The ITA Matrix in a very versatile and powerful searching tool.
                    Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

There is one thing I would like to know if it could do...

Eg. Cathay Pacific are offering specials to Japan for £549.

No matter how hard I look I can't find any dates with those prices.

Is there a way to use this (or other website) to find the lowest price not dependent on date?

Nick

Comment

Yes...cheapest prices...But not Cathay Pacific only - which is showing £5k?

Like I've said - their website states they have a far of £549 - yet I can't find one date with it!

Nick
                        Last edited by prioritypress; 14 Sep 2013, 10:14.

Comment

Probably sold out they don't have that fare on the Cathay Pacific Website looks like it finished
                          Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

My flights I booked last week are more expensive on the link than the price I paid to WestEast Travel

Comment

Working...
                            X