Covid Vaccination in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid Vaccination in Thailand

With all the confusion being printed regarding vaccination of foreigners. When it will be? What vaccine etc?

I thought I'd share this with others residing in Thailand.

Wife went locally to register for the vaccine she is 42 and will be getting Astra Zeneca in June when it becomes available. However being the good wife she is, she asked about me and they said I could register for the vaccine to be given at the same time and place. They asked for a copy of my "yellow house book" which I sent by line to her and I am now registered for vaccination in June at a local clinic.

Obviously this does not guarantee it will happen, the vaccine may not be available then or I might be removed from the list in the meantime. However this is the best and most positive info I have heard regarding vaccination. I think we should forget what ministers etc. are saying they contradict each other on a daily basis and look to local government as they will be the ones administering it.

Originally posted by DAS View Post
    With all the confusion being printed regarding vaccination of foreigners. When it will be? What vaccine etc?

I thought I'd share this with others residing in Thailand.

Wife went locally to register for the vaccine she is 42 and will be getting Astra Zeneca in June when it becomes available. However being the good wife she is, she asked about me and they said I could register for the vaccine to be given at the same time and place. They asked for a copy of my "yellow house book" which I sent by line to her and I am now registered for vaccination in June at a local clinic.

Obviously this does not guarantee it will happen, the vaccine may not be available then or I might be removed from the list in the meantime. However this is the best and most positive info I have heard regarding vaccination. I think we should forget what ministers etc. are saying they contradict each other on a daily basis and look to local government as they will be the ones administering it.
    They are working on an App specifically for foreigners living in Thailand to be able to register for vaccine appointments.
    The current App using '' Pink ID Cards'' was hit and miss.
    bangkok mags

Comment

vac.png
      Attached Files
      'Tis me

Comment

We were at Digital Park today, it's all set up for administering the vaccines, an easy (covered) Skywalk walk from BTS Punnawithi (Sukhumvit Line) the only thing missing is the physical vaccines.
        bangkok mags

Comment

I know the government are working on an app but as yet, it's not up and running and there is no timescale as to when you will receive the vaccine. I am also registered on the other app through my pink card details. This one is a registration where you are told where and what day to go for it. I have more faith in this than the others.

Comment

All avenues for foreigners having vaccines have now been closed until the app is up and running for foreigners. I have heard it will be up and running in August or October but there will be no vaccines even when it is up and running as the government have confirmed that foreigners will have to wait until all Thais are vaccinated. I don't see that happening this year. I expect that to be at best sometime in 2022. It is still illegal for hospitals to purchase privately vaccines, all talk of buying Moderna vaccine is what it is just talk. Basically as a foreigner you are not allowed to have a vaccine until the government say so and that may be years. Unless of course you leave the country and get one at home. I know of four that have done this, two say they will not return.

Immigration have done nothing to alleviate the risk of infection, we need the 90 day reporting put on hold as people could easily phone in to report a change of address. The online system is down more than it is up and running, personally I have never found it to work. Also the proof of 800,000 in your bank after 3 months could be dumped for a year or two.

Like I said before this government is very anti foreigner and do not want us here. The wife says they are anti Thai too and I shouldn't take it personally.

Comment

DAS Its not very good at all, but look on the bright side, if we can't have the vaccine at least they can still blame us for spreading Covid throughout Thailand

I can agree with your wife, I don't think they like anyone not in their circle or one of the Thai rich.

Edit
              After writing this I went for my morning read of the Bangkok Post (comic) online and saw this

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...rs-from-june-7

Don't hold your breath

This one has ' The Great Jab Plan' on it

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...o-start-june-7
              Last edited by Wayne & Ohm; 22 May 2021, 04:04.
              Back at it

Comment

My wife's sister and her husband who are in their late 50's are getting their AstraZeneca jabs next week. This is because they work on Bangkok buses driving and ticketing. So I guess things are on the move. Interesting it is the Oxford jab and not the Chinese jab. The Chinese vaccine seems to have a low trust in the population but I hear both good and bad about it so I do not know what is true. My wife also tells me that there are pills available against COVID which do not stop you getting it but reduce the impact and stop you getting seriously unwell. These are the stories on the ground anyway.

Comment

All avenues for foreigners having vaccines have now been closed until the app is up and running for foreigners.
                  Not if your a Chinese foreigner in Thailand, they started getting vaccinations last Thursday:
                  https://www.wcia.com/news/internatio...e-in-thailand/
                  bangkok mags

Comment

All avenues for foreigners having vaccines have now been closed until the app is up and running for foreigners. I have heard it will be up and running in August or October but there will be no vaccines even when it is up and running as the government have confirmed that foreigners will have to wait until all Thais are vaccinated. I don't see that happening this year. I expect that to be at best sometime in 2022. It is still illegal for hospitals to purchase privately vaccines, all talk of buying Moderna vaccine is what it is just talk. Basically as a foreigner you are not allowed to have a vaccine until the government say so and that may be years. Unless of course you leave the country and get one at home. I know of four that have done this, two say they will not return.

Immigration have done nothing to alleviate the risk of infection, we need the 90 day reporting put on hold as people could easily phone in to report a change of address. The online system is down more than it is up and running, personally I have never found it to work. Also the proof of 800,000 in your bank after 3 months could be dumped for a year or two.

Like I said before this government is very anti foreigner and do not want us here. The wife says they are anti Thai too and I shouldn't take it personally.

Where are you getting your information from Das?

Remember that various Govt. agencies are coming out with all sorts of waffle. Most of it withdrawn as soon as it is uttered. All is not well with Prayut as the head of his band of incompetents, who seem to be jockeying for positions as ministers are sidelined or ridiculed and the dismal performance of the clowns in charge is finally seen as a weakness..

I accept the fact we won't get the vaccine ahead of many Thais, but the vaccination program itself is in a state of flux, as first x takes priority then y and then back again.

But amongst all of this, they have now announced that all foreigners will be vaccinated and can register for the vaccine from the 7th June. This appears to mean, as far as I can understand, but hopefully this will be clarified, that such registration will take place at the hospital where your medical records are held (no app involved). That means Bkk hospital, Hua Hin for me. But that is yet to be confirmed. And certainly in Hua Hin at least, there are foreigners who see their Doctor at a clinic, not a hospital, so not sure what happens to them?

At least that means we are likely to get AZ or even Modena, as the stocks of sinovac are being used up and the Govt. have now seen the error of their ways and are trying to secure as much vaccine as they can. I'm not sure it's entirely the fault of the junta stopping private hospitals and others who have said they will buy their own, such as the Thai forum for industry (or whatever it is called) and various provinces, as I believe it is an international agreement spearheaded by the WHO that all vaccines have to be purchased by Governments only, to prevent such a free for all, as various Thai associations seem keen to demonstrate - but happy to be corrected on that. I'm sure such groups in Thailand are helping to fund such new purchases by the Government, because the Govt, is going broke and even with the new loan just announced, it's likely they will have to borrow further and that will have to be from abroad.

I'd be a bit wary of keeping 800,000 baht in a Thai account if I was you.
                    'Tis me

Comment

They really do need to get their act together. There have been problems and issues here in the UK, but over the last couple of weeks there have been quite a few of Aom's friends (Thai/British), as well as herself vaccinated here in the UK with the first or second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I took our 16 year old daughter to get her 2nd AstraZeneca jab today too. The biggest problem I see here is the selfish people who either don't care about the virus or are too moronic to understand what is going on (Someone had sprayed "Sheep" with an arrow on it pointing to the vaccination centre), seems like that is happening a lot higher up in the command in Thailand :-(

Comment

The news sources I refer to vary with links to "official" government sites. Very much like the Bangkok Post one which came out about 3 hours after I had updated my post. Also from the Thai TV translated. It just changes daily almost hourly sometimes. We need an app to register, we don't, yes we do, now we don't. I must not believe anything coming from any sources especially government ones.

However I would really like to see the restrictions governing imported vaccines removed, thus allowing Moderna vaccine to become available. I am not rich or even comfortable financially here at the moment with the Baht rate but would find the cash to get vaccinated.

I see the government as a rabbit in headlights, they didn't bother ordering any vaccines as they had it under control and were going to be the vaccine hub of south east Asia, with all the mass production of AZ within Thailand and exporting to other countries. In reality we very few vaccines, most given or sold by China to it's friendly military government. The Sinovac vaccine efficacy is unknown and it's side effects unknown due to secrecy from the Chine Communist party. It has not been peer reviewed and has not been cleared for use by the WHO. How can anyone be blamed for not wanting it. It has very poor results in countries where it has been used. Everything here will depend on more Sinovac and hopefully AZ if they can ever get the manufacturing process right.

Comment

Nok's mum, sister and their neighbours in Korat are frightened about receiving the Sinovac vaccine as they've heard various rumours circulating which claim that it affects thyroid function. I've done a quick literature review and I haven't yet found any evidence to support that rumour. Anyway, they say that they'd much rather have the AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna jabs if they could as they feel that these have been better tested, trialled and adopted.

Here in south London, Nok has just had her second AstraZeneca jab at a local NHS centre. I've had the pleasure of vaccinating a small number of Thais (AstraZeneca or Pfizer depending upon their ages) at the NHS vaccination centre where I'm on shift very shortly. It's been interesting having brief chats with them.
                          "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Sinovac is a worry to many Thais. Despite Prayut putting a stop to walk in centres as he was concerned they would be mobbed. Four are still running in Bkk manned by professionals. The one at the Mall in Bang Kapi is being held in their events hall, which looks about the size of a football pitch from the video I have seen. Far from being mobbed, it has been empty, as the only vaccine is sinovac. They can't just waste these things once they have been prepared, so they started vaccinating local Mall staff.

I'm sure the private hospitals here will end up with a 'better' grade of vaccine, simply because if they don't, no-one will use what they have.
                            'Tis me

Comment

From Das:

However I would really like to see the restrictions governing imported vaccines removed, thus allowing Moderna vaccine to become available.

Like I said, I don't think that is within the Thai Governments powers, as the drugs companies won't sell to private companies. What's more important is that the various vaccines are approved for use in Thailand by whoever controls that in Thailand and they are working on that.

I see the government as a rabbit in headlights, they didn't bother ordering any vaccines as they had it under control and were going to be the vaccine hub of south east Asia, with all the mass production of AZ within Thailand and exporting to other countries.

The company that is to produce the AZ vaccine has no experience in producing vaccines. Whereas, there are other companies in Thailand that do. However, they weren't considered, it's common knowledge. In addition, Singapore has now signed a contract to produce a vaccine, so that put's paid to yet another of Thailands plans to become a hub for the region of this, that and the other.

'Tis me

Comment

Working...
                              X