This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK enters National Lockdown 3.0

British Prime Minister has today (5 January 2021) announced an immediate national lockdown.

Summary: what you can and cannot do during the national lockdown

You must stay at home. The single most important action we can all take is to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.

You should follow this guidance immediately. The law will be updated to reflect these new rules.

Leaving home
    You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:
    • shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
    • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
    • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
    • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
    • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
    • attend education or childcare - for those eligible

Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term. Early Years settings remain open.

Higher Education provision will remain online until mid February for all except future critical worker courses.

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live. You may leave your local area for a legally permitted reason, such as for work.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work

Meeting others
    You cannot leave your home to meet socially with anyone you do not live with or are not in a support bubble with (if you are legally permitted to form one).

You may exercise on your own, with one other person, or with your household or support bubble.

You should not meet other people you do not live with, or have formed a support bubble with, unless for a permitted reason.

Stay 2 metres apart from anyone not in your household.

More detailed guidance is available here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...wnGuidance.pdf

STAY HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES
    Last edited by Tobias; 4 Jan 2021, 21:06. Reason: Update links
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Unfortunately I think we are way off being in lockdown. Lockdown 3 is as watered down as Lockdown 2 was. Virus going nowhere
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

IMHO the issue is that the majority of the UK population are self centred that people will
      not follow the rules. And that includes the people at the top. If I was the leader I would have a world wide conference with world leaders and have an international lockdown, it would be policed with draconian measures. Military staffing check points, with only a certain allotted time to carry out an essential task then book back in. Don’t abide by rules furlough ceased. It would last about 1 month. - virus gone, or to a level can be controlled. I went to work this morning as I am classed as an essential worker and cannot work from home and the Traffic on the A1 no different. During the 1st lockdown there was no traffic.

It’s absolute madness. According to the UK news one in fifty people in the UK now have COVID.

Anyway rant over.

Have a good evening. P.S. I’ve not been shopping since August get delivery but it took from March August to get my first one.

Mick
      Roughly one in 50 people in England has got the virus, Prof Chris Whitty says.
      Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

Mick,

I still think it's a minority of people rather than majority, but very close. My experiences and observations during lockdowns here have shown how common it is for selfish, self centred and people believing they can demand so many rights, but show so little/no responsibilities to balance those rights. There is also a showing of so little common sense by so many.

I think you have got the right idea about an international lockdown and draconian measures needed to enforce it too, that short term pain would be compensated by the long term gain.

I tended to do food/essentials shopping after NHS shifts when I was already out and about, but more recently switching to online deliveries as there are still so many idiots that were out in the shops ignoring any and all guidelines and I was getting sick and fed up of telling people to maintain distance etc. At a time where everyone should be pulling together it shows how the mentality of some completely eradicates this and the knock on effect of this

Comment

Not claiming that Joe Bloggs is innocent in all this, there are bloody idiots out there, I personally know a few, but I do think the men at the top are the major problem here.
          Now, by "men at the top" I don't mean the Government I mean business leaders. My particular client at work is a very large chain of Superstores, which I won't name. They advised us yesterday that it is business as usual, full steam ahead with their refresh programme. They even sent us a letter to print out, to give to our workforce should they be stopped, stating that we are carrying out essential work. So, as of this Sunday, we will have crews travelling from our base in Co. Durham to superstores throughout the country basically taking down old signs and putting up new ones. On site there will be crews from different parts of the country, electricians, decorators, plumbers etc etc
          That leaves my MD in an unenviable position. Does he tell by far our biggest client, who spend several millions per year with us, that actually he doesn't feel that the works we carry out are essential, and that he isn't willing to put his workforce at risk by sending them out. Thus risking losing the contract. Or does he tell his workforce "business as usual lads". Of course it's the latter.
          I suppose having typed that, actually, I realise men at the top does come down to the Government. The Government shouldn't be allowing businesses to make the decision on whether their line of works are essential or not, they should be telling them.
          What a mess we are in
          We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

The rules regarding work have nothing to do with whether it's essential or not.
            • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
            This is exactly the same as the first lockdown.
            Last edited by -Keith-; 6 Jan 2021, 08:01.
            If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Isn't that exactly the point I am making ?
              That "rule" allows companies to decide whether they wish to continue working or not, anybody who doesn't need to be at work shouldn't be, end of, and that decision should be made by those governing the country.

We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

Originally posted by N Barton View Post
                Isn't that exactly the point I am making ?
                So you're suggesting that we shutdown the economy even more ?
                If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

I would rather be out of a job than dead
                  We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

A very good friend of mine has a briefing at his workplace and they were informed they are now key workers, and were informed they would receive letters to say so. During the first lock down all workforce were furlough.

So some of the workers have taken their kids to school under the key worker status, but have been refused as the letters state essential workers and are not on the key worker list.

Talk about rock and a hard place.

Mick..
                    Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

These are the occupations that the government recognises as key workers.
                      • Health and social care
                      • Education and childcare
                      • Key public services
                      • Local and national government
                      • Food and other necessary goods
                      • Public safety and national security
                      • Transport
                      • Utilities, communication and financial services

Comment

Originally posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
                        Mick,

I still think it's a minority of people rather than majority, but very close. My experiences and observations during lockdowns here have shown how common it is for selfish, self centred and people believing they can demand so many rights, but show so little/no responsibilities to balance those rights. There is also a showing of so little common sense by so many.

I think you have got the right idea about an international lockdown and draconian measures needed to enforce it too, that short term pain would be compensated by the long term gain.

I tended to do food/essentials shopping after NHS shifts when I was already out and about, but more recently switching to online deliveries as there are still so many idiots that were out in the shops ignoring any and all guidelines and I was getting sick and fed up of telling people to maintain distance etc. At a time where everyone should be pulling together it shows how the mentality of some completely eradicates this and the knock on effect of this
                        My neighbours and myself did not go to the Cardiff City Centre in the weeks leading up to the current Welsh lockdown as the first Minister allowed people to come into the centre shopping from high infection areas like Merthyr and Abercynon etc. The streets were packed with mask less people who seem to think they will not catch it outside even if they are shoulder to shoulder. The first minister treid to blame the new strain or the frightening increase but unlucky for hi this was disproved by welsh Scientists, hence the rapid frantic lockdown. I know it was the same in London and I am sure in most of the big cities. Like KhunIan I thought it was a minority of people causing the problem but I think it is quite a big group now, they are ordinary folk as well. Boris seems to have got away with opening the English streets like this again no matter how many people become ill by blaming the new strain which is simply not true and unproven scientifically. The evidence that the new strain is worse is based upon the fact that current lock downs are not working like the first one. The fact is that we have never returned to original lock down levels and the government let people romp the streets for weeks. COVID is COVID and highly infectious.

Comment

Lockdown is a joke. Boris is doing his best to follow advice and Starmer is doing his best to undermine it. It's then a trickle down from there. No matter what is said by the "experts" the Facebook experts and those on the radio, for example Julia Harley-Brewar, know different to the experts and maintain that a lockdown is not necessary, and people listen to them and do what they want.

Until this country is in a proper lockdown, and that means shutting the borders to one and all and putting the army on the streets to enforce travel restrictions and movement this virus will not go away. There ya go, I'm an expert now!!!

My travel consists of food runs to the local shops and back home, THAT IS IT. But even so just during those shorts trips there are so many people ignoring the mask rules. Shops have signs outside stating masks must be worn and distances kept, yeah rite, those are ignored without any sort of compliance/consequence whatsoever and I won't mention those that are most guilty of doing this. It's a complete waste of time because they know nothing will be done.

For all those that want to ignore the advice (right or wrong) from the Government I hope you do not catch it as sadly someone will have to waste their time looking after you when they could be doing something far more useful for those more worthy.

As they say RANT OVER, for now (until the replies start flying in ).
                          Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post

So you're suggesting that we shutdown the economy even more ?
                            Can you tell me exactly what you are contributing to the economy then Keith?
                            According to you, the country is heading for a disaster with leaving the EU anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg / Pairin View Post

Can you tell me exactly what you are contributing to the economy then Keith?
                              Right now or over my lifetime ? I worked in the City for 25 years at Bank of America and J.P.Morgan. Now I'm a Taxi driver.

Originally posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
                              According to you, the country is heading for a disaster with leaving the EU anyways.
                              I've never said anything of the sort. I voted remain and still believe the country has made a huge mistake. Over many many years there was an agenda, mainly from the Murdoch press. to disparage the EU. The public generally remained in the dark regarding the many benefits of membership of the biggest trade bloc in the world.

Why are you asking me this in a thread about Lockdown ? Let's stay on topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X