No announcement yet.

Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the polio and measels vaccine are in the 90's percentage wise but they, as we know, have been a round for years and have probably been tweaked a lot. The flu jab is probably less! IMO I dont think 70% is too bad for a starters, especially as is been done in 10 months or less. I am sure that over the years it too will get tweaked and hopefully improved.

Comment

The original briefing (23 November 2020) by the Oxford/AZ team is here.

Key messages are:
      • Phase 3 interim analysis including 131 Covid-19 cases indicates that the vaccine is 70.4% effective when combining data from two dosing regimens
      • In the two different dose regimens vaccine efficacy was 90% in one and 62% in the other
      • Higher efficacy regimen used a halved first dose and standard second dose
      • Early indication that vaccine could reduce virus transmission from an observed reduction in asymptomatic infections
      • There were no hospitalised or severe cases in anyone who received the vaccine
      • Large safety database from over 24,000 volunteers from clinical trials in the UK, Brazil and South Africa, with follow up since April
      • Crucially, vaccine can be easily administered in existing healthcare systems, stored at ‘fridge temperature’ (2-8 °C) and distributed using existing logistics
      • Large scale manufacturing ongoing in over 10 countries to support equitable global access
      There was 90% effectiveness if administered as a "half dose, full dose" regimen.

"I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by James HKT View Post
        Slightly disappointing results from the Oxford/AZ team quoting a 70% success rate. I am not sure what the normal success rate is for a vaccine, but 90/95% did seem very high.
        its a question of perspective 70% is better than most hoped for until Pfizer and Moderna published results.

The upside is the accidental discovery with dosing means that less vaccine will be needed overall and that protection is increased to 90% is far from disappointing.

No one died or was admitted to hospital is even better news as the excuses for continued lockdowns for fear of overwhelming our NHS will be a distant memory. I suspect that we will see a 2 dose regime initially and an annual booster but we may even see covid effectively eradicated over time.

The best bit is the storage requirement and relatively low cost which means poor countries should also be able to distribute it and most will even be able to manufacture a variant under license.

Glass is now 70% full and 2021 looks much more hopeful
        Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post

its a question of perspective 70% is better than most hoped for until Pfizer and Moderna published results.

The upside is the accidental discovery with dosing means that less vaccine will be needed overall and that protection is increased to 90% is far from disappointing.

No one died or was admitted to hospital is even better news as the excuses for continued lockdowns for fear of overwhelming our NHS will be a distant memory. I suspect that we will see a 2 dose regime initially and an annual booster but we may even see covid effectively eradicated over time.

The best bit is the storage requirement and relatively low cost which means poor countries should also be able to distribute it and most will even be able to manufacture a variant under license.

I always thought that the standard flu vaccine was only around 70% effective but could be wrong.

Looking at the press here it looks like when the borders are open that visitors will be expected to have been vaccinated or not be permitted entry, which sounds reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post

That is a very important and encouraging point. The Oxford team and Pascal Soriot (CEO of AstraZeneca) have made the following joint undertaking:

"A key element of Oxford’s partnership with AstraZeneca is the joint commitment to provide the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis for the duration of the pandemic across the world, and in perpetuity to low- and middle-income countries."

"...the vaccine’s simple supply chain and our no-profit pledge and commitment to broad, equitable and timely access means it will be affordable and globally available supplying hundreds of millions of doses on approval."

According to the Oxford/AstraZeneca briefing, there are already 30 international agreements and partner networks in place to supply 3 billion doses of the vaccine globally.

Roll on 2021.
            "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

flu vaccine is around 50% + or - 10% effective depending on the year

Comment

Originally posted by James HKT View Post
                Looking at the press here it looks like when the borders are open that visitors will be expected to have been vaccinated or not be permitted entry, which sounds reasonable.
                They will probably be expected to prove that before they get on a plane. Qantas are considering it.

Were does it start and end though, entry into supermarkets, hotels, pubs.
                Can you leave the house without proof of vacination or previous infection.
                Will be renewing it often too although probably easier to buy a fake.

​​​​Sensible countrys will discuss the effect of certification on people others will probably just make it mandatory everywhere.
                Possibly interesting info on
                ​​are you a heathly traveller from the BBC.
                Soon some will only be allowed to holiday on one rocky island in the Aegean sea.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2020...port-to-travel

Comment

Originally posted by Natty View Post

They will probably be expected to prove that before they get on a plane. Qantas are considering it.

Were does it start and end though, entry into supermarkets, hotels, pubs.
                  Can you leave the house without proof of vacination or previous infection.
                  Will be renewing it often too although probably easier to buy a fake.
                  As a very frequent flyer I’d welcome this if it would allow international travel. The travel Restrictions are having a significant impact on my business and professional life. Being allowed to travel unhindered with proof of being vaccinated could be great, it would avoid quarantines, pre-travel COVID-19 tests, arrival COVID-19 tests, travel restrictions, self-isolations and huge insurance charges for COVID cover.

I can’t see a see it being a requirement for shops or hotels, but for those wishing to undertake international travel I think it fair game.
                  Tobias - โทเบียส
                  It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post

As a very frequent flyer I’d welcome this if it would allow international travel. The travel Restrictions are having a significant impact on my business and professional life. Being allowed to travel unhindered with proof of being vaccinated could be great, it would avoid quarantines, pre-travel COVID-19 tests, arrival COVID-19 tests, travel restrictions, self-isolations and huge insurance charges for COVID cover.

I can’t see a see it being a requirement for shops or hotels, but for those wishing to undertake international travel I think it fair game.
                    I imagine proof of vaccine will be a requirement of all international travel. It will make things so much easier and the majority of sensible people won’t have a problem with it. For the few that won’t accept a vaccine good luck to them and we probably won’t miss them on the international stage anyway, wingers and moaners all no doubt. We are all getting bored with the argument on both sides, so much easier to say take the vaccine and travel, or don’t and stay at home. I had a problem with this but after Ash explained how the vaccines actually work I’m far more relaxed.

I read an interesting article on the Oxford vaccine this morning. I had earlier commented that a 70% success rate was disappointing compared to a 90/95% success rate of the others. But it seems that the 70% was after one dose only. If it is taken as two doses, as with the others, the success rate is also in the 90s.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, still far away, but it’s there.

I had a call from a Russian tour operator yesterday inquiring about block booking villas for their customers for early next year. A bit premature in my opinion but it shows there are some with building confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                      https://fr.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUSKBN24701B

Already need an app to determine likely covid status in some countries to use facilities/services and you just know Thailands way of thinking will mean this might be a road they take.
                      I think most folk would like to undertake some international travel right now.

The last mention I can find showing how long one of the vaccines was effective for was 56 days in july, that will improve hopefully but by how long.
                      Renewing the health passport or health app certification is going to be time consuming frequent and costly going by todays news that the UK will allow 5 days quarantine to certain arrivals if a negative test is produced @ £120 per test.
                      Fine if you can afford it, will be expensive for families on holiday though.
                      Lets just hope its not the start of a slippery slope into forced disclosure of a persons health with restrictions should they be considered not healthy enough for our liking.

Comment

To clarify the Oxford vaccine was showing 70% after 2 doses not 1 but a dosing error was noticed where patients were given half a dose at dose 1 and a follow-up full dose this produced a 90% efficacy.

This is really good news as the vaccine will go further and protection is improved .

I fully expect eventually we should see a combined Covid/Flu jab and a single dose needed but for now its just great that we can see a way out.

Duration of effectiveness will be a best guess as that's something that requires time to determine and none of the studies have been running long enough to give any firm results but realistically 12 months should be achievable in time.

Comment

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine, paving the way for mass vaccination.

The Pfizer/BioNTech jab is the fastest vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking only 10 months to follow the same steps that normally span 10 years.

The UK has already ordered 40 million doses of the jab - enough to vaccinate 20 million people.

The doses will be rolled out as quickly as they can be made by Pfizer in Belgium, Mr Hancock said, with the first load next week and then "several millions" throughout December. “

Source BBC - Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine judged safe for use in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

I’m quite excited to see this vaccine in action and what impact it will have economically.

Comment

There's a massive amount of work going on to set up vaccine centres and deal with thousands of people a day at each, let's hope that people start making use of this and it's not a massive waste of time and money, like lockdown, which is really due to certain areas of the public rather than the government IMHO.

Comment

Ash, this one is for you to cure my curiosity as the resident SME on this...

Ok, so Pfizer have been testing all year and now had approval and the big thumbs up to roll it out. How have they managed to now mass produce in such little time and now as I'm typing this its now on UK shores. Did they already have vast quantities of it somewhere ready to go?

If they did have vast quantities of it? why? Why would they have large amounts of it if it isn't ready......or is it just really quick to make once the exact ingredients are known? I don't know, I'm completely clueless on this...

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

They started before approval at risk as they had good results early on.

Mass production is measured in Kg's and most Pharma companies trial new drugs in a kilo lab before mass production.

They will manufacture at multiple sites worldwide and probably under licence elsewhere Big Pharma means just that which in this case means they can throw the kitchen sink at this vaccine and then some

For the AZ /Oxford vaccine they also manufactured it in advance expecting approval so we can expect a rapid rollout as well

Comment

Working...
                                X