No announcement yet.

Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also works in the same way as Pfizer's and a completely independent trial showed similar safety results. happy days
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
      A new vaccine that protects against Covid-19 is nearly 95% effective, early data from US company Moderna shows.[/URL]
      and now it makes absolute sense....the Owner of Pfizer selling his shares on the same day they tell the World they have a 90% effective vaccine. He knew that one of their rivals (Moderna) across the pond were ahead at around 95%, so his company would subsequently lose value so he thought better if he cashed in now and be even more ridiculously set up for life..

Ah, if only we had done a FULL lockdown back in March/April for 4 weeks.....

Nobody goes out
      Military and Police Roaming the streets enforcing it
      Essential workers i.e. Power Plant Operators, Prison officers, Medics etc. stay in their place of work.
      Airports, Ferry Ports Closed.
      Covid Starves to death after 4 weeks. Zero Cases..

No, instead we got the Merry go round fun fair circus, clowns wearing flip flops debacle that has enfolded over the last 9 months and still left with a second spike!!
      Instead of shutting the economy down for 4 weeks, they've slowly strangled it to death over 9 months..

Rant over.

I normally end by saying stay out Wales, but as I'm a Celebrity is now being filmed close to where I live, there is simply no chance of that.

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

What's particularly interesting is that 42% of the more than 30,000 participants in this Moderna Phase 3 COVE study are from medically highly vulnerable groups with an increased risk of severe COVID-19. According to today's briefing by Moderna, the study reflects the diversity of the US population, including communities historically under-represented in clinical research and disproportionately affected by COVID-19. This is very encouraging.
        "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Baz M View Post

and now it makes absolute sense....the Owner of Pfizer selling his shares on the same day they tell the World they have a 90% effective vaccine. He knew that one of their rivals (Moderna) across the pond were ahead at around 95%, so his company would subsequently lose value so he thought better if he cashed in now and be even more ridiculously set up for life..
          You're reading too much into that.

Albert Bourla used a perfectly legitimate SEC rule (10b5-1) on 19th August 2020 to authorise the sale of those shares once they reached a certain price at a future date. Under the SEC 10b5-1 plan, Bourla surrendered direct control over those shares - he could not sell them himself. Those shares hit the target sale price on 9th November 2020, the day of the announcement. He didn't press the "sell" button, the plan administrator did in accordance with the SEC 10b5-1 plan. It's as simple and transparent as that - the plan sold at $41.94 - see here. The end of day closing share price for Pfizer was up 7.7% at $39.20.
          "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Although we’ve done very well here in controlling the outbreak the economic effect has been devastating. The figures the Thai government are quoting in terms of COVID-19 fatalities are no doubt dwarfed by suicides as a result of the economic hardship brought about by our closed borders.

Personally I am starting to feel relief that the end to this is in sight, even if it will still take another 6/12 months to get the vaccines out, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have no interest in who’s making a killing on the share prices.
            Last edited by James HKT; 16 Nov 2020, 19:03.

Comment

We are not allowed to buy shares in any of the pharma companies involved as the company is concerned about insider trading. I am certain some people will take advantage regardless.
              The most important thing is that any vaccines are effective and safe and that we can get these to market as soon as possible and cheaply enough to treat people who are in more economically challenged.
              Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Originally posted by James HKT View Post
                Although we’ve done very well here in controlling the outbreak the economic effect has been devastating. The figures the Thai government are quoting in terms of COVID-19 fatalities are no doubt dwarfed by suicides as a result of the economic hardship brought about by our closed borders.

Personally I am starting to feel relief that the end to this is in sight, even if it will still take another 6/12 months to get the vaccines out, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have no interest in who’s making a killing on the share prices.
                I think Thailand is a victim of it's own success. Zero virus, recorded at least, home transmitted cases. I would think the fear from government is that it triggers off again by allowing tourism to easily and too early and makes all the previous sacrifices seem pointless.. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. You are correct about the economy of course and many Thai's are tired of it and want to get on. And of course the protests bringing public transport in key areas to a halt. What a combination. I wish I could see into the future 12 months from now to see what is happening in Thailand, there could be a serious kick start next year with the vaccine kicking in. I certainly hope so

Comment

Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post
                  there could be a serious kick start next year with the vaccine kicking in. I certainly hope so
                  I think it might be too late for the tourist industry in some areas. And quite simply it needs to reduce prices not as a temporary measure, but permanently. The hey-day has gone.

In Hua Hin, there are 2/3 hotels that are always very busy. They reduced prices on all rooms by 50%, but they are small chains, with hotels elsewhere that aren't all open. Payment for staff at one of them is getting erratic, with regular delays and the staff are wondering how long it will stay open for. In the centre by the Hilton, the stretch of road that heads to the Chinese Temple is full of shut and emptied shops. One after the other, all completely stripped. Even the weekends are getting quieter. The fishing market at Takiap is normally ram packed at weekends, not so much now. A kilo of fresh prawns is 500 baht. Stop at the fishing market at Cha am on the way down from Bkk and you will pay 300 baht.

We were looking at a vacation at the Grand Mecure in Patong, which is right in the centre of town, very good deals being offered, but from everything I can see, the town is deserted and nothing is open. So it's stay and eat only at the hotel and wander to the beach. Not sure that appeals. Krabi appeals more, but an article in The Thaiger the other day suggested that in Ao Nang, you'd be lucky to find anywhere to stay, yet alone eat!

And there are the hidden effects, not just in tourist towns, but generally. Take car cleaning, where businesses are closing down all over. My truck was a mess, so the other day I drove to the local place near me - shut down. Okay, no big deal, I went to another in Takiap - gone. Drove to another further north in Takiap - gone. Hmmm, okay, there's a popular place on the cut through from soi102 to 112, so busy you need to make an appointment. Purpose built on empty land a couple of years back - it's now shut. I eventually found one nearby that is a garage, but has opened an area for car cleaning. Simply put, the average Thai is now cleaning their own cars to save money.

Seriously, it's only going to get worse and nothing will be the same again. Yes, there is covid, but too many forget that both the tourist industry and economy generally were going down the pan long before the virus arrived - what do you expect with a bunch of idiot generals in charge - and the way things are looking right now, there is only going to be trouble ahead.

'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by caller View Post

We were looking at a vacation at the Grand Mecure in Patong, which is right in the centre of town, very good deals being offered, but from everything I can see, the town is deserted and nothing is open. So it's stay and eat only at the hotel and wander to the beach. Not sure that appeals. Krabi appeals more, but an article in The Thaiger the other day suggested that in Ao Nang, you'd be lucky to find anywhere to stay, yet alone eat!

Dont come to Patong, I’m there every few days, in fact was there ten minutes ago. It is the proverbial ghost town and very depressing If you want to come to Phuket try Laguna in the NW of the island. I was there for dinner the other night and it’s fairly busy, lots of lovely restaurants in the general area, especially around Boat Avenue.

Comment

I think it might be too late for the tourist industry in some areas. And quite simply it needs to reduce prices not as a temporary measure, but permanently. The hey-day has gone.

In Hua Hin, there are 2/3 hotels that are always very busy. They reduced prices on all rooms by 50%, but they are small chains, with hotels elsewhere that aren't all open. Payment for staff at one of them is getting erratic, with regular delays and the staff are wondering how long it will stay open for. In the centre by the Hilton, the stretch of road that heads to the Chinese Temple is full of shut and emptied shops. One after the other, all completely stripped. Even the weekends are getting quieter. The fishing market at Takiap is normally ram packed at weekends, not so much now. A kilo of fresh prawns is 500 baht. Stop at the fishing market at Cha am on the way down from Bkk and you will pay 300 baht.

And there are the hidden effects, not just in tourist towns, but generally. Take car cleaning, where businesses are closing down all over. My truck was a mess, so the other day I drove to the local place near me - shut down. Okay, no big deal, I went to another in Takiap - gone. Drove to another further north in Takiap - gone. Hmmm, okay, there's a popular place on the cut through from soi102 to 112, so busy you need to make an appointment. Purpose built on empty land a couple of years back - it's now shut. I eventually found one nearby that is a garage, but has opened an area for car cleaning. Simply put, the average Thai is now cleaning their own cars to save money.

Seriously, it's only going to get worse and nothing will be the same again. Yes, there is covid, but too many forget that both the tourist industry and economy generally were going down the pan long before the virus arrived - what do you expect with a bunch of idiot generals in charge - and the way things are looking right now, there is only going to be trouble ahead.
                      Worse than I thought Caller. We went to Koh Samui just before the lock downs although tourism had already affected the Island but overall it was still good and everything open. During lock down and after for a few months we were in Bangkok. You could obviously see the effects here but nothing like what you have described. Sounds like a long haul in the future to get things moving. The UK since I have been back has been hit hard by the virus but the economy keeps going up and down with many places struggling to survive but I have full confidence that the UK will rapidly bounce back next year with the vaccine. You cannot fully control the British people but this same difficulty for government during the crisis is the same thing that makes the people keep bouncing back. I hope and pray that the tories do not try and tax their way out of debt before things are running well again

Comment

Originally posted by James HKT View Post

Dont come to Patong, I’m there every few days, in fact was there ten minutes ago. It is the proverbial ghost town and very depressing If you want to come to Phuket try Laguna in the NW of the island. I was there for dinner the other night and it’s fairly busy, lots of lovely restaurants in the general area, especially around Boat Avenue.
                        That advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.
                        'Tis me

Comment

That advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.
                          No problem in fact I was just in Patong again this evening, helping a friend who has lost her job pack up her condo. The streets are dark, deserted, all the shops are shut, it feels dangerous. I wouldn't want to be wandering around there at night that's for sure.

Comment

Pfizer has today updated on last week's announcement of the Phase 3 study.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

- No safety concerns thus far

- vaccine efficacy rate of 95% overall (94% in over 65s)

- vaccine efficacy observed in all demographics (age, gender, race, ethnicity)

- side effects reported in 3.8% of subjects following dose 1 or 2: headache

- side effects reported in 2% of subjects following dose 2: fatigue

Very encouraging indeed.

Comment

The Lancet has just published a paper (.pdf here) from the Oxford project team. Unlike Pfizer's and Moderna's work, the Oxford/AZ project centres on a modified adenovirus-based vaccine as the tool to induce an immune response to the COVID virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...466-1/fulltext

This paper reports the safety and immune generating outcomes of the adenovirus trial at Phase 2/3. The vaccine appears to induce the same degree of immunity across all age groups in the study following a booster dose. It is reported as being safe and well-tolerated, especially in older subjects. Adverse effects reported are injection-site pain, feeling feverish and muscle-ache but these were less common in adults over 56 years old. Phase 3 studies are continuing in the UK, USA and Brazil to assess the vaccine's efficacy and safety.

Comment

Slightly disappointing results from the Oxford/AZ team quoting a 70% success rate. I am not sure what the normal success rate is for a vaccine, but 90/95% did seem very high.

Comment

Working...
                                X