Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing - known as a phase 3 trial - but this is the first to show any results.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54873105
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

This very promising news, the UK ordered 40 million doses of this vaccine so hopefully we’ll see it in the UK in the early part of 2021 🤞🤞🤞
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

I need to correct the information in my previous post, the British government has paid an undisclosed amount for 40 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, but two doses will becneeded per person, so that means 20 million people in the UK could receive the vaccine. I understand 10 million doses are due for delivery in 2020 with the rest in the first three months of 2021. This obviously is subject to safety licensing.

Some news sources say the UK has ‘only’ preordered 30 million doses, so enough for 15 million people. I’ll have fo dig around and see if I can find HMG’s press release on this one.
      Last edited by Tobias; 9 Nov 2020, 19:26. Reason: Update figures
      Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other...er/ar-BB14irpk

Covid Vaccine ready in less than a year!! Breaking the previous record of 4/5 years for the Ebola Vaccine. I'll sit this one out until about 2025....
        "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

No shortcuts taken except bypassed some unnecessary paperwork.
          All safety checks done as normal and MHRA FDA cross checks being done as well.
          Ebola vaccine was not a priority and had a fraction of the resources thrown at it, this had unlimited monies and a lot of people worked 24 /7 to deliver the results
          There are a few hurdles left but only idiots believe its going to be unsafe the only questions are how long the immune response will last and whether it will protect different age ranges in the same way.
          Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

I think this is good news, fingers crossed it works because I can see the world saying No International Travel or You are not coming here on holiday unless you can prove you have had a vaccine

Comment

Originally posted by Baz M View Post
              ... Covid Vaccine ready in less than a year!! Breaking the previous record of 4/5 years for the Ebola Vaccine. I'll sit this one out until about 2025....
              There is nothing in your linked article that suggests the vaccine would be unsafe.

Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
                I need to correct the information in my previous post, the British government has paid an undisclosed amount for 40 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, but two doses will becneeded per person, so that means 20 million people in the UK could receive the vaccine. I understand 10 million doses are due for delivery in 2020 with the rest in the first three months of 2021. This obviously is subject to safety licensing.

Some news sources say the UK has ‘only’ preordered 30 million doses, so enough for 15 million people. I’ll have fo dig around and see if I can find HMG’s press release on this one.
                40 mill according to Matt Hancock Tobias. Sky news thought it as only 10 mill. Rarely do I see Matt Hancock smile, half the cabinet must have had a shot of whiskey and slept much better the other night. Looks like really good news and hopefully some normality back by the summer next year

Comment

nickj1000 Thanks for confirming the 40 million figure, I suspect the Sky News report is in relation to the 10 million doses due before Christmas.
                  Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

It is likely that some issues will emerge around safety given that the vaccine is likely to be given to billions of people over the coming years and there will always be scare stories in the media highlighting any issues.

That said it needs to be balanced against the effects of Covid -19 which has contributed to the early deaths of a significant number of people.

Comparing to other vaccine development is pointless and disingenuous especially with articles from May this year with no scientific basis.

My company has been heavily involved with Pfizer and bluntly had we not had issues recruiting patients due to covid restrictions the vaccine could easily have been available sooner! One issue was the success of the early lockdowns reducing the incidence of covid which made the trial difficult as did travel restrictions.

The surprising thing is the type of vaccine which is almost unique and the way it works this may well change vaccines for other diseases in the future.

Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Having seen some talk abut the vaccine it seems to me that the one that the papers have been talking about from Germany will not be available until next year so the press have jumped the gun again on this. I saw the health secretary when he first talked about it and he said that there were a lot of hurdles to overcome as yet and alerted the health service to be ready from the beginning of December but in fairness he did not say that it would be ready and emphasised the process was not over. It seems to me though that the Oxford vaccine maybe ready earlier, not sure ?

Comment

I saw the title and thought well done Tobias, you’ve saved us all. I knew he was an excellent lawyer but also a scientist to boot !

Can’t upload the screenshot that says

Covid Vaccine, first “ milestone “ vaccine offers 90% protection by Tobias”

well done that man !

Comment

James HKT You’re welcome 😂😂😂

Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Is it just me or should red flags be raised at two things here......firstly the fact they are calling it a Vaccine Race....the elections are finished (Well maybe not)...so now we move to 'The Race', this isn't a race!! Races mean people will cut corners to cross the line first!!.....Secondly, the CEO of Pfizer, Albert Bourla sells.....wait for it....5.6 million dollars worth..60% of his personal stock the very same day they announce that they are 90% of the way there. Sorry, but this whole thing stinks!! It absolutely reeks. We wont broadcast this on the news though, you'll just have to search on the internet and find the headlines that way.

Just one for the scientists here, I actually sent a message to Pfizer a few days ago....no reply yet though. Basically neither me or Rose have spawned any children yet so naturally we are a wee bit concerned as to whether in the 8-10 months or so of testing they have actually tested this vaccine out on pregnant women yet...or fertile couples trying to conceive? Will they have done that in such a short amount of time....my gut says no....but what do I know eh!!
                            "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Baz M View Post
                              https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other...er/ar-BB14irpk

Covid Vaccine ready in less than a year!! Breaking the previous record of 4/5 years for the Ebola Vaccine. I'll sit this one out until about 2025....

Indeed, I have seen such documentaries such as 28 days, Legend and Resident Evil and know what can happen when a vaccine intended for the common good is rushed. I’m not a scientist but there must be a reason why most new drugs take ten or so years before being approved.

Comment

Working...
                              X