No announcement yet.

Thailand closed to visitors until 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it depends on your criteria for "successful" but I think it will have a decent take-up.

Comment

• Originally posted by caller View Post
      The first flight was probably little more than a fantasy with both Thai and Chinese airport authorities saying they had no knowledge of such a flight. I suspect that behind the scenes a few sackings have taken place. But no, it hasn't been scrapped, it's now being rolled out to various Embassies and the PM himself has said it will start after the veggie festival in Phuket has finished. You can't make this up, can you. Hundreds of alleged tourists held up because of a carrot!

I doubt it will be a success though.
      It’s been reported here by the Phuket News that no STV were applied for by these supposed 120 Chinese and a list of these “ tourists “ was merely the names of Chinese that had expressed an interest in coming here. Rather than tourists they were all investors looking no doubt to purchase hotels and resorts at knock down prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by James HKT View Post
        It’s been reported here by the Phuket News that no STV were applied for by these supposed 120 Chinese and a list of these “ tourists “ was merely the names of Chinese that had expressed an interest in coming here. Rather than tourists they were all investors looking no doubt to purchase hotels and resorts at knock down prices.
        Interesting.

China's foreign minister is about to visit Thailand as well. Maybe Phuket will be the next Sihanoukville?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-sihanoukville
        'Tis me

Comment

• Indeed, quite possibly.

The Chinese bring little money to the economy since most of the funds are transacted in China. They are rude and loud and really not the most popular people down here. I remember late last and early this year how happy we were to see Russians coming back. Another form of rudeness and arrogance, but at least they spend money here.

Comment

I read that also. A complete lack of genuine interest. The country needs good old beer swigging, jet-ski thrashing farangs to revive the economy. The Chinese don't spend a dime on the streets yet the Govt are hell bent on attracting them whist ignoring the needs of the public. Speaks volumes

Comment

• Interesting report via The Thaiger of the reality of the first so-called STV flight. It even shows up Prayuts comments about putting the flight back after the veggie festival so as not to affect local tourism, for the lies they are.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa...l-tourist-visa

And from KhaoSod:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/...andemic-visas/
              Last edited by caller; 13 Oct 2020, 04:16.
              'Tis me

Comment

• British Airways have announced a cut in their long haul schedule from late March 2021, which could be permanent. They are also suspending flights to BKK until October 2021.

British Airways axes Kuala Lumpur, suspends Sydney and Bangkok till November | Mainly Miles

Comment

• Not that I travel with them (once was enough) but suspended until October 2021

Oh well, puts my thoughts of a trip next May in to a slight bit of doubt. Perhaps better off looking towards Christmas for the return journey.
                  Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

• I love traveling BA, I feel home as soon as I step in. All the experience is missing is a bit of light drizzle.

It makes complete sense to cut back operations until October/November 2021 and here also the big hotels aren’t opening or if they are aren’t banking on foreign tourists in any significant numbers until at least then with rainy season and low season in between.

Because our numbers are so low many Thais and Farangs are quite happy to keep the doors firmly shut when we see how countries like the UK are dealing with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
                      Oh well, puts my thoughts of a trip next May in to a slight bit of doubt. Perhaps better off looking towards Christmas for the return journey.
                      You never know. Once the Thais see the various vaccines work hopefully they will scrap the quarantine and we can open the doors properly for people who have been vaccinated and not turned into zombies. I deal with so many clients abroad that can’t wait to be allowed to come here, Aussies in particular.

Comment

• On the other hand today my wife arrives in London on Qatar airways. She sent me pictures, looks like just her and the attendants. She has been issued with a Visa as well as her own mask and the attendants are wearing full protective clothing. Off to terminal 5 short stay later, not sure if i am allowed into arrivals as cannot find any information on it on the Heathrow site and cannot get them on the phone. Just going to play it by ear. Do I now quarantine her from the UK ?? I seem to remember being warned about going to Thailand in February about the dangerous virus there !

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnet View Post

I read that also. A complete lack of genuine interest. The country needs good old beer swigging, jet-ski thrashing farangs to revive the economy. The Chinese don't spend a dime on the streets yet the Govt are hell bent on attracting them whist ignoring the needs of the public. Speaks volumes
                          From what I can gather, the 'supposedly' cheap charlie expats in Thailand are keeping the tourist areas ticking over. If not for them then places like Pattaya would be absolutely dead. I hope the Thai Govt take that into consideration when dishing out new visa requirements for those expats. I doubt they will though.

Comment

• Ohm has just told me that Thailand may be getting lockdown again on the 6th Jan, fully. Has anyone heard that? I was trying to get home again on the mid Jan

Wayne

Comment

• I can’t upload the screenshot, actually I can’t upload any photos to TUK l, I get an over capacity error or something.

This is from Richard Barrow though :

”RED ALERT FOR WORST-HIT PROVINCES: Twenty-eight provinces across the country will be designated "maximum control zones" in the wake of the fresh Covid-19 outbreak that has spread to 53 provinces, with two each being placed into one of two tiers depending on the severity of the situation “

My expectation is that the country will go back into lockdown shortly, some already has.

Comment

I can’t upload the screenshot, actually I can’t upload any photos to TUK l, I get an over capacity error or something.

This is from Richard Barrow though :

”RED ALERT FOR WORST-HIT PROVINCES: Twenty-eight provinces across the country will be designated "maximum control zones" in the wake of the fresh Covid-19 outbreak that has spread to 53 provinces, with two each being placed into one of two tiers depending on the severity of the situation “

My expectation is that the country will go back into lockdown shortly, some already has.
                                It is mine / wife's expectation too, just now in the Bangkok Post '' 315 new Covid-19 cases recorded Sunday ''
                                We were going to Phetchabun province for new year and a couple of days in Chaiyaphum, but the events we were going to attend in Phetchabun were canceled due to COVID-19 fears, the event organizers did nt want to take any risks with the participants who were coming from all the regions of the country.
                                Im in Surin at the present time and have been urged (told) to remain here my flight back to DMK in a few days was canceled by the airline, I chose to make my ticket into an open ticket (until April) I would rather lockdown in BKK, but Mrs would rather stay here.

bangkok mags

Comment

Working...
                                X