No announcement yet.

Thai Wife Urgently wants to return to Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Allan . Thanks so much for this. When I say Visit Visa I mean for my wife coming to the UK. It is planning her return to Thailand on Thai airways I am unclear about. I know it is through the London Thai Embassy but I am not sure what documents they ask for about her to get the CoE and at what stage she gets the Fit To Fly certificate. Cheers

Comment

Oh, ok Nick, makes sense now. Not sure if it's still the same but when my missus went back in August, Thai nationals were not required to have a covid swab (RT-PCR) test so the FtF was simply a video consultation with a GP who issued the cert via email secure link. The CoE was issued once the Thai Embassy were happy that a flight had been booked and paid for. Because she went into state quarantine that did away with the need for a hotel booking confirmation. Obviously, had she gone ASQ then the CoE wouldn't have been issued without both the flight AND hotel being confirmed. So it's CoE once they are satisfied she has a flight and somewhere to quarantine (AND live after she leaves quarantine) and then the FtF (no swab) just prior to the flight. Don't forget though, the situation is changing rapidly so if your wife isn't going back for a while it may be completely different. Wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already changed from the above even now!

Comment

Hi Allan. Thanks so much for this and filling in the blanks for us. The information is hard to find and people seem to mostly find out as you go along. We know today from Facebook that you can now pay for the Thai Airways flight back in advance and not gamble on getting a seat. But regardless the only way to be sure is to book the evening seat on a Sunday, any other flight back to Thailand from the UK with Thai Airways can be cancelled but not the Sunday flight as they are also repatriation. The advantage for us of course is that my wife will have free accommodation for quarantine with Thai Airways. So the plan is to book qatar from Bangkok and Thai Airways back and we will book both flights as soon as the Visa comes through. I remember flying to Bangkok 4 years ago when I met my wife and the return fair with EVA was £450.00, those days are gone ! Strange this morning talking to my wife on LINE while she is walking through the Silom Complex Mall on Silom Road on video because she is bored in the Condo on her own, but she is getting excited now as Christmas approaches for her visit. When she goes back she will be taking everything with her for the Settlement Visa. The world has changed a lot for sure. I wish you the very best for your trip on the 11th with Emirates, they are a preferred airline I understand along with Thai Airways but probably more reliable with regarding ticketing conditions, so a good decision to book with them. Let us know how you get on. Cheers and thanks again

Comment

Hi Allan. How was your trip ? Did you make it ?

Comment

Hi Nick, YES - I'm here!!!! Got in yesterday afternoon. Flew from Heathrow with Emirates via Dubai. All the trials and tribulations of the hoops to be jumped through are discussed previously. Flying with Emirates rather than direct with Thai kind of added to the pressure in that the final hurdle of the covid swab test and fit to fly certificate had different criteria to be met. Thai required the date of the test results to be no more than 72 hours before departure whereas the UAE requirements are that the date of the test itself is no more than 96 hours prior to departure. So, with a flight departure of Sunday at 14.20, a test booked for 14.30 on the Thursday before with the (negative) test results being received on the Friday evening (gone 8pm!!!) satisfied both. I opted for Emirates though because I wasn't sure how many additional flights (additional to the 3 repat flights per month) if any, Thai were actually doing so I figured there was less chance of a last minute cancellation with Emirates.

Also, I booked business class - not to be "flash" (I certainly don't have money to throw around) but was working on the theory that I would need to mingle with fewer people and the seating is more "socially distanced" than travelling eceonomy. I was right. Anyway, duly presented what seemed like reams of paperwork to the check in at Heathrow. Was praised for having all of the correct documentation presented in the required order so was feeling quite chuffed with myself - until she said; now I just need to run these past my superviser to make sure everything is alright!!! Talk about heart stopping!! I'd heard so many horror stories about people actually being denied boarding and turned away, even from the check in desk because something was missing or something didn't meet specific requirements! I think if she had returned with bad news I would simply have burst into tears!!! Thankfully, no tantrums required!!! I have to say though that the entire process has left my nerves shredded.

Check your documentation thoroughly. Then, check it again. After checking it a third time get someone else to check it with you!!!

With no Emirates lounges open anywhere and a reduced in flight service I must admit I was beginning to wonder whether it had been worth spending all that extra money on Business class tickets, although the reasoning above was always the predominant driver for that decision. My choice, however, became entirely vindicated once we arrived at Swampy. Using my "Business" boarding pass cleared my route as I was guided with priority access and even with the additional (health and paperwork) checks notwithstanding I think it was the quickest I have ever cleared immigration and baggage reclaim to exit!

Have to say, I was seriously impressed with the way "officialdom" handled everything right from the moment you step off the aircraft. "Military Precision" would be a good way to describe it. The entire route from plane to exit was lined with airport police and security plus medical personnel. OK, there were a LOT of additional checks on paperwork and "how you were feeling" but I felt very safe and secure with their pressence.

So, here I am, ensconced in Le Meridien, Bangkok for the next 2 weeks. Again, not the cheapest ASQ I could have gone for but, once again, if you are looking at 2 weeks "stir" do you really want to go for "cheap"? Covid tested on arrival yesterday, I am prepared that I am not allowed outside the room until my next negative test in a few days time but I've brought one of my guitars, some of my own exercise equipment and some decent reading material with me.

So 2 weeks "stir" it is! And this is a whole lot better than any police or prison cell I have ever been in! Purely in my professional capacity, you understand LOL!

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
              Now then, I've been trying to find a clinic to provide the Fit to Fly cert that includes the Covid 19 swab test results. One clinic has just told me that Thai Nationals do not require the swab test - it is only non Thais. The Thais can get just a certificate which can be done via a video link. I am currently trying to get this confirmed by the Thai embassy but does anyone have recent experience about this, please?
              Hi Allen, I was recommended Medicspot for a Covid-19 PCR test as it also comes with a fit to fly certificate. I got my results and certificate emailed to me within my 72 hour time frame and it was accepted at the airport. Definietly check them out, it was very affordable. https://www.medicspot.co.uk/fit-to-fly-certificate

Comment

Yes but if you follow the link it says "Sold Out"
                https://tests.medicspot.co.uk/products/express-ftf

Did you print yours out, or was the copy in your email OK for the airport staff ?

Comment

Wow Allan, what an experience! I can feel the tension myself reading about you waiting for your documents to be checked. The scheduling of the COVID test and waiting for the result pretty nail biting as well as even when you are fully fit you can never be 100 % sure. Really good idea bringing your guitar and exercise stuff. When I was in Bangkok on half locked down in our condo a few months ago my guitar skills went up a lot, it's amazing what a bit of focus can do. I am really glad to know things went well and all the info you have provided will help me plan to get my wife back home in February. At least she doe not have to do the COVID test (yet) ! My wife is going to VFS on the 19th of this month to submit her documents for a visit Visa as we postponed a Settlement Visa because of the pandemic. I do start to wonder now if moving to Thailand is a better option . I will let you know how we get on. Cheers and thanks for all the stuff you have written here
                  Originally posted by Allan View Post
                  Hi Nick, YES - I'm here!!!! Got in yesterday afternoon. Flew from Heathrow with Emirates via Dubai. All the trials and tribulations of the hoops to be jumped through are discussed previously. Flying with Emirates rather than direct with Thai kind of added to the pressure in that the final hurdle of the covid swab test and fit to fly certificate had different criteria to be met. Thai required the date of the test results to be no more than 72 hours before departure whereas the UAE requirements are that the date of the test itself is no more than 96 hours prior to departure. So, with a flight departure of Sunday at 14.20, a test booked for 14.30 on the Thursday before with the (negative) test results being received on the Friday evening (gone 8pm!!!) satisfied both. I opted for Emirates though because I wasn't sure how many additional flights (additional to the 3 repat flights per month) if any, Thai were actually doing so I figured there was less chance of a last minute cancellation with Emirates.

Also, I booked business class - not to be "flash" (I certainly don't have money to throw around) but was working on the theory that I would need to mingle with fewer people and the seating is more "socially distanced" than travelling eceonomy. I was right. Anyway, duly presented what seemed like reams of paperwork to the check in at Heathrow. Was praised for having all of the correct documentation presented in the required order so was feeling quite chuffed with myself - until she said; now I just need to run these past my superviser to make sure everything is alright!!! Talk about heart stopping!! I'd heard so many horror stories about people actually being denied boarding and turned away, even from the check in desk because something was missing or something didn't meet specific requirements! I think if she had returned with bad news I would simply have burst into tears!!! Thankfully, no tantrums required!!! I have to say though that the entire process has left my nerves shredded.

Check your documentation thoroughly. Then, check it again. After checking it a third time get someone else to check it with you!!!

With no Emirates lounges open anywhere and a reduced in flight service I must admit I was beginning to wonder whether it had been worth spending all that extra money on Business class tickets, although the reasoning above was always the predominant driver for that decision. My choice, however, became entirely vindicated once we arrived at Swampy. Using my "Business" boarding pass cleared my route as I was guided with priority access and even with the additional (health and paperwork) checks notwithstanding I think it was the quickest I have ever cleared immigration and baggage reclaim to exit!

Have to say, I was seriously impressed with the way "officialdom" handled everything right from the moment you step off the aircraft. "Military Precision" would be a good way to describe it. The entire route from plane to exit was lined with airport police and security plus medical personnel. OK, there were a LOT of additional checks on paperwork and "how you were feeling" but I felt very safe and secure with their pressence.

So, here I am, ensconced in Le Meridien, Bangkok for the next 2 weeks. Again, not the cheapest ASQ I could have gone for but, once again, if you are looking at 2 weeks "stir" do you really want to go for "cheap"? Covid tested on arrival yesterday, I am prepared that I am not allowed outside the room until my next negative test in a few days time but I've brought one of my guitars, some of my own exercise equipment and some decent reading material with me.

So 2 weeks "stir" it is! And this is a whole lot better than any police or prison cell I have ever been in! Purely in my professional capacity, you understand LOL!

Allan

Comment

Working...
                  X