No announcement yet.

COVID-19 lockdown in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Caller. I asked my wife and she tells me that the Thai government control some TV channels and some newspapers but not all of them. And yes we do understand about what happened about the election and not happy about this but we are happy about the government control of the virus compared to what is happening in Europe and the UK. She had one prime minister she liked before but now she looks to the future

Originally posted by caller View Post
    You should do some reading!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

The elections were a sham. after a changed constitution as much as guaranteed the junta would stay in power, but even then, they only just did. So then they resorted to 'dissolving' opposition parties to increase their majority.

Today Thailand fell behind Myanmar in the register for press freedom. Thai's usually regard Myanmar as an authoritarian state. Ask you wife if that has been reported in the Thai Language media. Not even the Bangkok Post covered that piece of news.

Comment

Nick, you can't possibly compare the situation here to the UK. I think that's what is confusing so many people. If you are happy with the Govt. here so be it, that's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it but why keep comparing it to the UK or Europe or US? The numbers there are far higher due to completely different factors. I still maintain Thailand have come through this through sheer luck and the sensible behaviour of the locals. Col. Cuckoo sent everyone packing on public transport in their droves after closing BKK without a plan. He kept immigration going right to the end and of course, the big one, he allowed the Chinese tourists and the likes of me to keep coming in after the warnings were given. Allowed Thais to come back from hot spots without checking. Add to this a minister who called all foreigners dirty, another minister who predicted Chinese tourists would be flocking back in April....they're complete and utter muppets. Imagine the UK or US having an MP calling all immigrants dirty and keeping his job? Put some perspective on what you're comparing mate.

Comment

Thailand - Emergency decree extended

Thailand has extended its Emergency Decree for another month to the end of May.

The decision means the night curfew from 10pm-4am will continue, no social gatherings allowed and only limited inter-provincial travel, among other restrictions, Dr Taweesilp said.
        https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ecree-extended
        Paul พอล
        กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

Originally posted by maokaang View Post
          Thailand has extended its Emergency Decree for another month to the end of May.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ecree-extended

Does that mean the barbers will still be shut?
          Last edited by maokaang; 27 Apr 2020, 16:19. Reason: removed incorrectly quoted text

Comment

Originally posted by Barnet View Post
            Does that mean the barbers will still be shut?
            The decree is mainly about the curfew and restrictions on international arrivals and inter-provincial travel. What opens, and when, will partly depend on where you live.

A schedule of permitted openings (business types) is due to be announced shortly.

Provinces have already been divided into three categories, lower risk provinces easing off first (early May), followed by mid-risk provinces (mid-May) and high-risk provinces (early June). Divided as follows. Sorry, I don't have an English version:

Bangkok, Phuket, and Pattaya, are among the high-risk category.
            Last edited by maokaang; 27 Apr 2020, 16:48.
            Paul พอล
            กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

Well, to make matters even more confusing, the Government has officially extended all emergancy powers as they stand until 31 May. This seems to fly in the face of all the recently announced plans to start easing restrictions. Expect more flip flopping.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/12517/g...sing-measures/
              Last edited by Tobias; 30 Apr 2020, 06:59. Reason: Fixed hyperlink to article
              'Tis me

Comment

Just heard that Thai airways will not start to fly until July 1st.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Comment

Barbers are opening though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnet View Post
                    Barbers are opening though!!!
                    Opening where?

Comment

Originally posted by te2008 View Post
                      Opening where?

In Thailand, from today.
                      'Tis me

Comment

Still shut today. Might be Sunday now.

Comment

Did read a report they have one eye on Vietnam seeing they are open for business .

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/c...h-the-curtains

Comment

Originally posted by caller View Post
                            In Thailand, from today.
                            A friend of mine saids no barber's open up in Chiang Rai and in Chiang Mai

Comment

Originally posted by te2008 View Post
                              A friend of mine saids no barber's open up in Chiang Rai and in Chiang Mai
                              Sunday was the nationally permitted day, but the final decision has, I believe, been left up to individual provinces. Many barber shops/salons opened in Khon Kaen last Sunday. None of those I drove past were observing social distancing rules, with numerous customers sitting down inside, right next to each other, waiting their turn.

The most ridiculous scenarios were created by the sudden lifting of the alcohol ban, causing chaos in cram-packed supermarkets.

Way to spread a virus Thailand! Well done.
                              Paul พอล
                              กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

Yes same in Kalasin. Pathetic really. They were crammed in all day Sunday on the lash so much so that the forest area has been closed down. Today must have been pay day by the Govt. as there were hoards of people outside the bank and none observing social distancing. What's worse is that two cops stood and watched it as they were emptying the ATM machines. Typical Thailand really, people follow and copy like sheep without knowing why they are doing so. Can't help wondering if there will be a "We told you so" coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X