COVID-19 lockdown in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAS View Post
    There is too much fake or at least confusing news around. Thailand is having a curfew, is it? what times? Some say 24 hours some say 10pm to 4am.
    “From 3 April a nationwide curfew will be in effect between 10pm and 4am each day, although with limited exceptions including travel to and from airports.” - gov.uk

As for the dirty westerners, I can think of quite a few places I have been and seen (in between all the thousands of normal people) some absolutely terrible, dirty and rude western visitor’s. It is these people who fit in so perfectly to the Thai media’s cherry picked examples of the worst westerners they can find to fuel the fear & racism.

On a more personal and worrying note, I had to collect my wife at 3am from work. The management have sent her home as she is suffering from COVID-19 symptoms. There are 3 confirmed, two dead and 4 suspected cases of the virus at the care home she works in.

Comment

Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post
      II do believe the Thai government has tried hard to control this and care about the people.
      In what way can you claim that this Government cares about Thai people?! Do you understand how many Thai's now have zero income? 43% work in the informal sector, the by-product of successive Governments caring education system. The vast majority are getting zilch help from the Government here. Luckily, rice and eggs go a long way. Landlords locally are reducing rents in businesses shut down by the Govt. by peanuts ie. from 25k per month to 20k per month. Business owners now have no option but to walk away. They can't even get home. Their staff will have no work to return to. There are many, many desperate Thais out there who before the virus lived pretty much hand to mouth who now can't even do that. I have a friend who with his wife runs a coffee shop in a small town near Chiang Rai. They had a nice little business. They have closed because they now have zero customers as no-one can afford to buy a coffee. They will be okay, but clearly those around them are really suffering.

This Govt. cares about consolidating it's power base, purging dissenters, protecting the status quo and wealth of the privileged few and 'Thainess'. That last one get's a bit thorny when the activities of a certain person are now widely known by Thai's.

On a separate issue about masks. The Governor of PKK has made it a requirement for everyone to wear masks when out and about. I am lucky that where I live, the Juristic Office keep us updated with such 'commands' as does the local forum. He also shut down all the swimming pools, which is a Bu**er for me, having had a cataract op a couple of months back, I was hoping to get the all clear to start swimming again this week!
      'Tis me

Comment

Hi Caller. You know more about these things than i do i am sure. I am really talking about keeping ahead of the virus which is the main thing my Thai wife supports them for. The many other things you list we would no dispute. I understand your feelings regarding the pools and gyms, everything shut down in our condo and bangkok and i am reduced to running from our front door to the bedroom and back. Looks like they are going to automatically extend the tourist visas now though which is good news after our harrowing visit to immigration a couple of weeks ago. No social distancing there, so many people, staff working until midnight. My hats off to them

Comment

Looks like they are going to automatically extend the tourist visas now though which is good news after our harrowing visit to immigration a couple of weeks ago. No social distancing there, so many people, staff working until midnight. My hats off to them
          That still isn't happening either. Locally, Prachaup Kiri Khan immigration are refusing to deal with 30 day extensions and sending everyone to Hua Hin, where they can be crammed in with all the others. It's truly disgraceful. I don't care how long they are being forced to work for. If they showed some humanity rather than bash the foreigner, then I might change my opinion.
          'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by caller View Post
            That still isn't happening either. Locally, Prachaup Kiri Khan immigration are refusing to deal with 30 day extensions and sending everyone to Hua Hin, where they can be crammed in with all the others. It's truly disgraceful. I don't care how long they are being forced to work for. If they showed some humanity rather than bash the foreigner, then I might change my opinion.
            the new automatic renewal of visas/extensions has now been signed by the PM, and in force in Thailand, so if a visa/extension of stay expired on or after 26 March it will be automatically extended until 30th April 2020. No overstay fees will be charged during this period. any overstays prior to this date will have to be paid/cleared at immigration office.

Comment

Originally posted by steve187 View Post
              the new automatic renewal of visas/extensions has now been signed by the PM, and in force in Thailand, so if a visa/extension of stay expired on or after 26 March it will be automatically extended until 30th April 2020. No overstay fees will be charged during this period. any overstays prior to this date will have to be paid/cleared at immigration office.
              Sorry Steve but what does that mean that if my visa is due to expire next week I no longer need to go to immigration?

Comment

If I understand this correctly this just means that all of the people with expired visa's who did not go to immigration because of virus fears have an amnesty. My Visa expires on the 21st of april after a 30 day extension so do I have to go back to immigration again, I think so, I think i have to follow the due process. Any comments would be appreciated ??
                Originally posted by Barnet View Post
                Sorry Steve but what does that mean that if my visa is due to expire next week I no longer need to go to immigration?

Comment

I hope everyone is well stocked.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...96575#cxrecs_s

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

If I understand this correctly this just means that all of the people with expired visa's who did not go to immigration because of virus fears have an amnesty. My Visa expires on the 21st of april after a 30 day extension so do I have to go back to immigration again, I think so, I think i have to follow the due process. Any comments would be appreciated ??
                  Your visa will be extended until 30th April, you do not need to visit immigration before that date.
                  If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Is there any link to this concession? It would be good to have clarification of what and who is covered, for example does this cover those who entered under the 30 day visa exemption scheme?
                    Tobias - โทเบียส
                    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Originally posted by steve187 View Post
                      As this is an important development I’ve started a dedicated topic which contains the official information. It will be found here: Thailand announces automatic visa extensions (April 2020)
                      Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Must have missed this article a while back.
                        https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...cies-wind-down
                        They had a 14 day period from purchasing until the policies kicked in.
                        bangkok mags

Comment

There are growing numbers of hit squads stopping cars and putting temperature tests through the car windows right now. It seems Thailand is going for the final stretch in its strongest capacity. I like the approach they are taking but I'm not sure if these measures are taking it to the extreme. They aren't wearing gloves so who's to say they are any less risk of passing it on than those being tested? Just the opinion of a cynic.
                          Last edited by Tobias; 19 Apr 2020, 08:46. Reason: Moved vaping discussion to dedicated topic

Comment

I very much doubt them not wearing gloves will make any difference. The spread of this virus is primarily via respiratory droplets, the little blobs of liquid that shoot out when someone coughs, sneezes, or talks.

Infected droplets infect people via the eyes, nose, or mouth if they land directly on somebody’s face or by people touching their face with contaminated hands. Hands get contaminated from touching surfaces where droplets have landed and then touch their own face, mounth, nose or eyes. So the gloves offer very little protection in the circumstances you mention.

Washing hands is the key, that offers far more protection than a glove.
                            Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

The lockdown here in Phuket has been extended by four days from the 26th April. The individual tambons are sealed from one another and it looks like that will be lifted then. Fines for trying to leave your tambon, for not wearing a face mask and breaking curfew are very severe. The sale of alcohol is still banned until further notice.

J

Comment

Today we went on our "Big COVID-19 Adventure" with a trip up to Chaengwattana Immigration Complex, first mission was the Kor 2 at Lak-Si district office, can drive to the toll plaza in less than two minutes, normally would be snails pace to Port exit, but today was very light traffic to Din Daeng, the price at Din Daeng toll plaza has now gone up to 80 baht, never seen rush hour on the expressway so quiet.
                                COVID-19 Rush hour BKK Apr 20 a.jpg
                                Northbound Expressway (towards Lak-Si / DMK)
                                Looked like we were the customers at Lak-Si DO, so then off to CWIC, as expected no problems parking, and like Lak-Si DO got shot in the head for temperature check, gel on, then straight to make sure KTB (bank) was open, again both got shot in our nappers and more gel, only end seating was available in-between was signed out of use, that was the same case upstairs for the yearly extension (Non-IMM O based on Thai wife) Social Distancing was well observed by everyone, got our queue ticket then off for food all the seating was removed in the canteens, but some takeaways were open, there was plenty of room to sit and eat upstairs. Was quite relaxed when our turn, they needed a letter of guarantee from KTB and a photocopy of the Bank Book, so I went and was sorted in a few minutes after being re-shot in the bonce (temp check) and more gel, sods law they did nt keep the new Kor 2, but did keep the copy of the original Kor 2, this year they kept all photos, they kept Google map of the area with Condo, kept general complex plan, gave back our floors plan and Condo plan, the Officer was fast, courteous and efficient, when I came back with the bank letter everything was ready for me to sign and the officer had printed the receipt before Mrs had paid the fee. The return journey was equally fast, certainly the fastest return trip to CWIC.
                                COVID-19 Rush hour BKK c Apr 20 a.jpg
                                I ve drove on / off in BKK for 16/17 years, never seen the motorways clear (green) on a week day before.
                                Stayed downstairs until Din Daeng Toll, then motorway to Bang Na.
                                Everyone wore masks today, and there were plenty on sale in the basement of CWIC.
                                bangkok mags

Comment

Working...
                                X