Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus changes to our [ILR] plan

Hi,

My wife was due to apply for ILR this June but due to Covid-19, we are now unable to get her through her Life in the UK test and B1 English as we are self isolating so cannot go to test centres (if they are even open, which I imagine they aren't).

A few quick questions please if anyone can help:

1. From reading recent notifications on Coronavirus, I understand that if anyone's temporary visa is due to expire by the end of May (my wife's expires mid-june so she would not be eligible for this), they get an automatic extension of 6 months if they call through with their details. Is anyone aware of extensions for ILR of a similar nature to our situation due to Coronavirus? i.e. delayed tests so we can't complete her ILR now..

2. Re FLR (which looks like the best option at this stage) - my wife will have been here in June for 5 years. Can we apply for FLR and then go for ILR at a later date?

3. What form are we supposed to fill in - FLR(FP) or FLR(M)?

Thanks in advance!

If visas are not extended then you could apply for another 2.5 years FLRm..Bad news is the health surcharge is going up to approximately £1500..

Comment

Thanks. Is it definitely FLRm we need to apply for not FLR (FP)? and does applying for another FLR affect our ability to apply for ILR when the current Coronavirus situation is over?

Comment

Yes it's FLR(M) and she can make as many FLR applications needed until your wife satisfies the ILR criteria

Comment

Unfortunate for you but you'll get there. Best of luck.

Yes the coronavirus has disrupted our plans too, although in the other direction.

This was the year we were retiring to Thailand, and we put the house on the market days before the lockdown. We took it off and will put it back when the lockdown ends in a meaningful way, but prices will dip at least in the short term as some people will be desperate or forced to sell. So we may have to hold off further. I'd say Coronavirus may delay our plans up to two years which is massively disappointing. But at the same time, I'm grateful still to have my job and that I remain healthy so far. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Coronavirus is having it's impact felt far and wide. Hope all goes ok for you too in the long run.

Comment

i am in the same position as the first post test centers for life in the UK are closed at the moment ,so stuck at the moment all be it the wife has till September this year ,to pass .
              I do believe the government are keen to get these departments back up and running i did read somewhere they want to open the passport offices .

Comment

Originally posted by asmith View Post
                ...and does applying for another FLR affect our ability to apply for ILR when the current Coronavirus situation is over?
                No. As soon as your FLR time commitment has been met, regardless of how much longer left on a third (or more) FLR, you can apply for ILR as soon as you can meet the conditions.
                Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

Thats ok gary all ok but if the wife has not passed LITHUK then its an extension at a lot off £ signs .the offices are not even open at the mo .

Comment

Indeed. I don't think there is any option presently but to incur more cost and apply for FLR is there? More money!

Comment

I am in a similar position as my wife has been here for 5 years next month & we are due to apply for ILR.
                      However she has passed her life in the UK test so we can still apply for ILR?
                      Is that correct?
                      Regards
                      gibbage

Comment

Originally posted by gibbage62 View Post
                        I am in a similar position as my wife has been here for 5 years next month & we are due to apply for ILR.
                        However she has passed her life in the UK test so we can still apply for ILR?
                        Is that correct?
                        Regards
                        gibbage
                        Yes you can still apply but I don’t think you will be able to book an appointment to submit biometrics until the UKVAS centres reopen.

Comment

thanks for the info
                          regards
                          gibbage

Comment

asmith, and anyone else in the same position, I urge you to email your MP, set out the problem, and ask them to take up the matter with the Home Office.

OK, it may not work, but as they say, if you don't ask, you don't get!

I think what you are seeking is an automatic extension, without application, to the current visa, thereby giving time to do the necessary before the ILR application is made.
                            John

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...y-uk-residents

at the bottom of the page are contact details if anybody needs them.

Comment

Working...
                              X