This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19 [general discussion]

I notice that 2 of of the cases have been found in Thailand there is an article somewhere about Thai immigration detaining a Chinese tourist at the airport regarding this somewhere on the news.
    Now i am no rocket scientist or doctor but having just been Ill in Thailand and the treatment a very strong antibiotic which when i showed my Dr in the UK he frowned now on past experience getting these type of medicines from a UK Dr is like trying to get blood out of a stone i wonder if the general misuse of antibiotics in south east Asia has anything to do with the spread of these type of virus .

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303
    Last edited by Tobias; 18 Jan 2020, 17:26. Reason: Changed topic title to identify subject

Unfortunately it's not a South East Asia thing, misuse of antibiotics is massive in the UK and I am sure it will be the same story World wide. Go to any European holiday destination and you can buy them over the counter just as easy as in Thailand, and these are absolutely flooding into UK. There has recently been a Nationwide radio campaign trying to discourage the use of non prescribed antibiotics, but methinks people will just ignore.
    My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
      Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???

Bacteria are evolving to become immune and if it continues we will be in deep do-do as infection control in surgery will become really problematic , I have had 2 operations in the past 2 months hip replacement followed by a second hip revision 3 weeks ago having fallen and broken the femur just before christmas both times given intravenous antibiotics.
      Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

There seems to be some confusion. Viruses are not the same as bacteria.

Bacteria are single cell organisms whereas viruses are essentially packets of various protein structures. Viruses rely upon a living host to reproduce which they do by reprogramming ("highjacking") the host's cells, e.g. common cold virus, avian flu virus, chickenpox, HIV, to turn them into virus factories. The best way to deal with viral infections is either through immunity (e.g. through vaccination) or through anti-viral drugs to disrupt them. Antibiotics are never used to treat viral infections (although they might subsequently be needed to treat opportunistic secondary bacterial infections).

Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. It is the misuse of antibiotics which has led to antibiotic resistance - it's a form of natural selection and the disease causing bacteria, e.g. MDR TB and MRSA, are winning.

(By the way, I'm a Chartered Biologist)
        Attached Files
        "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
          Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???.
          That's why I am a sign maker and not a chemist, shoot me down for mis-quoting my son !!

What doesn't change is that people, lots of them, bring over the counter anti-biotics back from the likes of Spain. Greece. Thailand and take them for whatever ailment they might have, whether it be viral or bacterial.
          We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, which hinders our bodies natural defences.

There is an article in a magazine this week stating: The human body is 57% microbes and other non human organisms.

Human Microbiome:

Humans are colonized by many microorganisms; the traditional estimate is that the average human body is inhabited by ten times as many non-human cells as human cells, but more recent estimates have lowered that ratio to 3:1 or even to approximately the same number. Some microorganisms that colonize humans are commensal, meaning they co-exist without harming humans; others have a mutalistic relationship with their human hosts
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome

Comment

I have learned a few things there ,,.
              So the influx of these medicines in the UK means there is a market for them like i said in the original post try getting them out of my doctor is like trying to get blood out of a stone .where in other country's its a simple trip to the pharmacist.
              The drip with the cocktail of who knows what and the tablets i had seem to have worked a treat with my chest infection even thore the DR back in the UK rolled his eyes when i showed him what i had been prescribed .

Comment

Im just thinking back to what was the first thing that greeted me on my recent arrival in Thailand a TOILET or worse than a toilet that disgusting finger print reader at immigration well done Thailand lets put health and safety first .shocking they are using them with no cleaning solution unless they cleaned themselves i was not impressed with the guy with his finger up his nose then putting it the scanner .

Comment

Just looking at the date this thread was first posted...a whole month after china first knew about this outbreak of this strain. It just beggers belief on the way they try to keep things internal whilst there has been 3 direct flights a week to Heathrow from the city where the outbreak started.

Comment

Coronavirus COVID-19 [in Thailand?]

Hi all, any info on the corona virus, has it hit Thailand yet and if so how bad? I see on many occasions Thai people sneezing all over the place and not covering with their hand or a handkerchief, I should think if it hits Thailand it could be a big problem

Comment

Yes it has reached Thailand, although I am not sure how many cases.
                      We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

I think there are 14 confirmed cases in Thailand. it is the second highest risk country behind China.

I'm travelling to Thailand very soon. A bit of a concern for sure - mainly the airport and plane itself - but it is what it is. Cabin crews worldwide are at far greater risk than just me with one journey. Life is always a risk from something, I just get on with it, and what happens happens.

Comment

I'm not flying there untill beginning of May, let's see what happens by then....

Comment

Pharmacys in BK have sold out of masks and rumour are doing the rounds that used masks are being washed and repackaged

Comment

Thailand has 19 reported cases and 274 suspected cases of the new Coronavirus. I belive the main concern of the Thai citizens is the massive influx of Chinese tourists. A lot of Thais think the government are still prioritising the visitors because of the tourism money as opposed to the safety of their own citizens.

So far the cases have been reported in Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom. (maybe more but I cant find anymore information immediatley.

I think if you look after yourself in general when your there you will be fine. Alcohol hand gel, dettol wipes and a mask if you are in a particuaraly populated area. The media are spinning people into a frenzy about it.

The chances of getting this virus are still very very low when you consider the population size vs number of infected people. I wouldnt be canceling my holiday over it.

On another note there have been two cases reported in York which is very close to my house. Apparently the pharmacys have put notices on the windows saying theyre sold out of face masks.

Hopefully all the hype doesn't scare my Mother in law off going to bangkok to apply for her visit visa on Friday!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...itory#Thailand

Comment

Working...
                              X