Holiday in Phuket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday in Phuket

Looking for advice on what part of Phuket would be best to stay in with a family, we will have our truck so can travel but would like to keep that to a minimum. Also how many nights would we have to stay to see most of it. We will not be having day trips to Koh Phi Pi or James bond island as we have done all that. What do you think?

The coastal towns are all pretty dead right now, in Patong there’s only two 7/11’s open for example.

I’d stay in Kathu, which coincidentally is where I live! We have around 10/15 restaurants ranging from a great English cafe (The Zebra Cafe) where you will get the best breakfast in Phuket, several Italian restaurants in various price brackets, many Thai restaurants, many bars, for Thai and foreigners. Kathu is pretty much dead centre of Phuket so no more than a 20/30 minutes drive from all the beaches in the south, and tourist attractions such as Big Buddha, Wat Chalong, Go Cart race track, Central Festival and the new Central Floresta, Phuket Town (which is as busy as normal). We have the best of everything here which is why we live here !! If booking bear in mind that Kathu is a postal district as well as a town, and booking sites often include Patong in Kathu.

Places I would recommend to stay are ;

Tinidee Golf Resort
    Serenity Lakeside Resort

Both are 600 plus a night and well situated. The Tinidee one has a great pool and gym overlooking Loch Palm Golf Course, you might even see me in the gym as I’m there every day 555

I’d stay a week, Phuket is quite big, about the size of Singapore, with a lot to see.
    Last edited by James HKT; 14 Feb 2021, 02:17. Reason: Changed an “if” to “of”

Comment

Thanks James, I'll take a look on the map, initially thinking of staying at a beach resort, but will take a look. Got a 13 year old too to consider. I thought 6 or 7 nights would be enough. I guess things will have changed since I was there as a single guy, 2204 just before the Tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS View Post
        Thanks James, I'll take a look on the map, initially thinking of staying at a beach resort, but will take a look. Got a 13 year old too to consider. I thought 6 or 7 nights would be enough. I guess things will have changed since I was there as a single guy, 2204 just before the Tsunami.
        In that case I’d suggest Kamala or Bang Tao areas, definitely not Kata or Patong.

Comment

Well this holiday has been fraught with issues. Had difficulty getting dates when school ended and had to cancel one. As we have a dog I decided to check on our local kennels to find they are closed, it appears the guy doing the work there was from Cambodia and he went home at the start of the Covid outbreak and was not replaced. Another one not so far away closed for refurbishment, a few more found but not suitable for one reason or another, found another in Pattaya area but over 500 bht a night without food. don't understand the logic there for charging more for the weight of the dog if they are not providing the food for them.
          Looks like we finally found somewhere near Patong that will accept our dog staying with us, it's a small villa with 2 bedrooms and a pool. It is new to Agoda so no reviews yet, so fingers crossed. 900m from Patong beach (beggars can't be choosers). The amazing thing is its actually a little cheaper for the whole villa per night than it would be for the dog to stay in the kennels per night. Price so cheap I've even agreed to take the mother in law. Just have to cancel the hotel we are booked in for and sorted, the hotel was a great deal too.
          We should be there the week before Songkran, hoping everything works out for us. No more Covid outbreaks please!

Comment

I was in Bangla Road last night at about 11pm and took a photo, but when I try to upload it get this message, just a normal photo from my iPhone.

Unfortunately it shows what I have been saying along, about 20 people in the entire street.

Upload failed due to your usergroup's upload quota. This file will require 1.18 MB but you only have 12.9 KB of 256.0 KB remaining.“

Not sure if you can view from this Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zecdtj440o...40521.jpg?dl=0

For Doggy boarding we used to use this place in Chalong - https://www.facebook.com/pawsphuket/
            Last edited by James HKT; Yesterday, 07:09.

Comment

Just the tumbleweed missing.
              Really I'm not worried about lack of nightlife, happy to have quiet beaches and hopefully somewhere to eat. Past holidays have seen us get up early catch the first boat to Railay to beat the crowds. Same with the islands in Phang Nga booked our own early boat, did that at Koh Hong, Poda and Chicken islands too. For many years I worked form 06.00 to 18.00 and have found it almost impossible not to be up around 5AM.
              Things are what they are and we will try and make the most of it.
              Thanks James.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS View Post
                Just the tumbleweed missing.
                Really I'm not worried about lack of nightlife, happy to have quiet beaches and hopefully somewhere to eat. Past holidays have seen us get up early catch the first boat to Railay to beat the crowds. Same with the islands in Phang Nga booked our own early boat, did that at Koh Hong, Poda and Chicken islands too. For many years I worked form 06.00 to 18.00 and have found it almost impossible not to be up around 5AM.
                Things are what they are and we will try and make the most of it.
                Thanks James.
                Just for information most Patong restaurants have closed, but there are a handful open until early evening. The main shopping mall in Patong Jung Ceylon closed on the 3rd March and Central closed 2nd February. All McDonalds, BK and most 7/11 and Familymarts are closed.

Comment

Working...
                X