This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Premium membership donation.

Over the past year we have raised over £310 in subscriptions to our Thailand-UK premium membership service.

This thread is for any forum member to discuss where the monies should be donated to.

Once this debate has run it's course then premium members only will be invited to a vote on the subject.

Thanks
    Lee
    Lee

I'm in

I, too, have only recently subscribed to the premium membership (used paypal the week before last so should have gone through ok) and I'm pleased to be contributing.

I tend to agree in principle with what "caller" was saying in the previous thread. I think it is excellent that we donate to a Thai related charity. Caller has a point that charities all over the world face the same problem in that they grow to such a size that admin costs and overheads begin to take up so much of the charitable donations.

Maybe smaller charities do have a "greater need"? Just a thought to get the discussion going, you understand.

Allan

Comment

Links

Here are some links that members may find useful.

http://www.thaicharities.org/ Have a comprehensive list of Thai charities.

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org..../asia/thailand

http://www.immortalitea.com/Thai_charities.htm

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/social.asp

Lee
      Lee

Comment

I'd like to add that nothing is set in stone here - the money will go to where the premium members choose.

If you would prefer to see 3 charities recieve say £110 each - or 2 charities £165 each then please feel free to discuss this.

Thanks
        Lee
        Lee

Comment

Out of interest to do have a record of what has been raised over each of the years that this has been happening?

When did Premier membership start?

or

Where there charitable donations before that?
          When will I see you again
          When Thai Air give me my money back

Comment

My preference would be something in Pattaya seeing as that is my favourite haunt, but will be happy with anything that is decided upon.

Comment

I have just copied my post from the original thread to here:

Can I be so bold, or have the temerity to suggest, that the beneficiary is not of an ex-pat enclave, where many others will be also making similar donations? This isn't meant to suggest it's not a worthy or deserved cause, but there must be somewhere where a need is equally great, but lesser known, therefore perhaps in greater need of farang support?

Why don't we seek to adopt such a place?

Just opening a debate.
              'Tis me

Comment

History

Originally posted by Gary & Nok View Post
                Out of interest to do have a record of what has been raised over each of the years that this has been happening?

When did Premier membership start?

or

Where there charitable donations before that?
                I've not kept any records Gary - but if my memory serves me right (which I doubt it does) this is the end of our third year.

In the previous two years Premium membership was used as a tool to help pay for the web space and forum software, only the excess was used as a charitable donation. So even if I had kept figures they would not really be relevant.

Thanks to the Paul's prudent housekeeping and hard work in changing the forum hosting software, we are now able to keep the ship afloat without using any premium membership funds, that's why all monies are now allocated to charity.

At the end of the first year we donated to the Camillian Centre run by Father Giovanni Contarin, an Italian priest.
                http://www.camillian-rayong.org/en/situation.asp

Last year we donated to The Anglo-Thai foundation
                http://www.anglo-thai.org/

Previous to premium memberships, Thailand-UK teamed up with Noel Thomas (a great fella, sadly no longer with us) from another Thai related website - together we raised a very large sum of money (in excess of 300,000 baht) for the kids at Camillian Centre.
                http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6180

Cheers
                Lee
                Lee

Comment

Lets have some names put forward

What we need now is some names of a charity that people would like to see entered into the vote.

The Camillian Centre has been a favorite in previous years with forum members even visiting in person to hand over the donation and meet the kids & staff.

Anglo Thai were the beneficiaries last year, they do have a member on these forums ... perhaps they would like to put a case forward for us all to read regarding their current work.

I have suggested (and it's only a suggestion - I have no preference on this) that we could split the donation - how do people feel about that?

Caller has suggested a more remote charity and I like his idea.
                  All charities do a great job - some are more high profile than others and tend to get more of the money.
                  So lets have some names of smaller more remote charities.

Do any forum members have a personal working knowledge of any charity that you can share with us?

The link I posted yesterday has an abundance of charities for people to read about ...
                  http://www.thaicharities.org/

Thanks
                  Lee
                  Lee

Comment

Paul, as a suggestion how about Father Ray Foundation

Comment

There are obviously many, many, deserving causes that would equally deserve a donation from T-UK. From my point of view I thought it makes sense to choose one that I know a bit about and can see for myself where the help you might give will go to. I had narrowed my options down to the deserving causes in Pattaya (of which there are quite a few), and before Gary had posted his suggestion, I felt the one which fits the bill is Fr. Rays. The number of kids and adults that they could help in Pattaya with thier various projects is probably infinite. From reading the local press and talking to a few expats who have become involved in fund raising and generally helping out, it is a deserving cause for sure.

Comment

Thanks for that Mary.
                        Did somebody spike your cucumber sandwiches?

Lee
                        Lee

Comment

Do you know what, I am not going to bother to put names for anyone any more. it's old age you know, I just can't cope. Really sorry

No Lee , I was checking out the list with my mate Gordon and he actually suggested it

Phil, that's a good shout then if you were going to suggest it. There was a lot on Paul's oops, Lee's list so well happy that someone is actually aware of them.

Mary

Comment

I'll have a look tomorrow. If its not Pattaya, it will best be near where perhaps a member could do the honours and update the forum.
                            'Tis me

Comment

Father Ray Foundation gets my vote as suggested by Gary and known about/supported by Phil.

Comment

Working...
                              X