What car to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What car to buy

I am looking at buying a new car, here in Thailand, in the next few months. My budget is up to 600,000 baht. I am a complete novice with anything relating to cars and I've resorted to looking for decent reviews online. However, this method is very inconsistent and unreliable so I'd appreciate any petrol heads who can offer any assistance.

I've looked at the new Almera and it is a nice motor and big improvement on the previous models. However, it loses value incredibly quickly.

I like Honda most of all but they are more expensive than the others. The standard City is within budget but doesn't look as nice as before.

Toyota has the Yaris which looks decent but again I've heard mixed things.

The Mazda C2 looks the business from the outside but doesn't have a great reputation.

I will be driving around town rather than long distances and I'm a snail in comparison to drivers here so high speed performance isn't an issue. I have two children which I need to consider also. Fuel consumption is a big issue for me as the car I currently drive is heavy on such.

Thanks in advance.

Honda, Toyota spend a little bit more and go for a Tesla.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Comment

I dread to think how much a Tesla would be in Thailand. I would imagine it would far eclipse any 600k budget

Comment

Originally posted by te2008 View Post
        spend a little bit more and go for a Tesla
        Just a bit. Lol.
        3,500,000 and upwards
        Paul พอล
        กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

When renting when I am in Thailand I try to rent a Honda Jazz 4 door Auto 7 speed box big boot and have always found it good on petrol
          If you think you fancy something try and hire one for a day or two,then you will not make a mistake.Good luck
          Melnathan

Comment

15 k will buy you a lot of car .....buy second hand spend around £2500-£5000 bank the rest you will get a good motor ,,,but it boils down to you at the end of the day .
            What you want ..or the wife LOL .
            Remember all you do every week is feed it more ££££££££££££££££££££,

Comment

Samsung, I've always bought second-hand, but that was in the UK where I know there is the AA to check the car and aftercare services. I wouldn't like to take my chances here purely because I don't know what I'm getting into. Also, for some brands, such as Honda, the price of used cars is extortionate.

I've always been happy to drive a motorbike and the Jazz we have but my new job is in Pattaya so I'm thinking safety first now.

My missus sees Hello Kitty as a car accessory so she won't be getting a say. If she had her way she'd have something "narak". My outlaws see getting in my car as an open invitation to eat snacks whilst continuously offering advice on how to drive, park, increase/decrease the air-con. If I had mine I'd buy a horse box for them. Guess a compromise is needed.

Comment

Mitsubishi L200 = Bulletproof
                If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Barnet;287656 continuously offering advice on how to drive, park, increase/decrease the air-con.[/QUOTE]
                  Annoyingly that's exactly like my Mrs.
                  We have a (Jane) Yaris manual, 1.5 engine, have to have a car which she can sit in and drive without to much bother, hence small car, this one she can adjust the seat and not need cushions etc, we tried Ford Fiesta, Jazz,March,Swift, but went for Jane and the 1.5 engine.
                  https://www.one2car.com/en
                  bangkok mags

Comment

I personally purchased a new truck because l wanted the security of "if something goes wrong", We visited 2nd hand dealerships but was disapointed in their sales methods, our next move will be to trade it in for a smaller car most likely a Jazz or Yaris. Personally l believe.. Honda, Toyota Nissan and Madza have excellent dealer networks, l can't fault the service from Madza.

Comment

Barnet if the car is for the wife, Thai ladies love the Suzuki Swift!

Good luck with the search...
                      Grahame
                      เกรแฮม

Comment

No mate, this motor would have fingerprint id start up if I could find it so she couldn't go near it.

Nealy, I looked at Mazda twice this week and their motors are indeed very nice on the eye. I had a go in a Honda City S today and was surprised at how cheap and tacky the interior is.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnet View Post
                          I've looked at the new Almera and it is a nice motor and big improvement on the previous models. However, it loses value incredibly quickly.
                          My other half got an Almera when they were a new model. The suspension is a bit harsh, but it's a hell of a big car for not a lot. The interior is very spacious and I would imagine unbeatable at the price point and the boot is a good size as well. She got the 1.2ltr model, because of the then new tax system for cars. But it cruises happily at 120kph and whilst you make the point that it doesn't hold it's value, they are cheap as chips to run. A full tank is circa 650 baht and the car has been very reliable.
                          'Tis me

Comment

The Almera seems the best value for money for me. I really like the top and middle grade models that have just come out plus six airbags.

Comment

I do enjoy watching the guys outside hotels stopping all oncoming traffic with there whistle and in most cases causing chaos ,LOL .
                              Or how everyone jumps out and stands in the way helping you park and your thinking get out the way i can not see .

Comment

Working...
                              X