No announcement yet.

Photos from Isaan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next time you're near my home, give me a shout Wayne - I may be in residence . I'm guessing you were at Palio on a weekday? Its generally packed on a weekend, even in the off season. The Italian influence in the area is massive and doesn't stop at Palio - there's an entire hillside Italian village which can appear a bit weird. I wasn't aware of it but driving along one day getting to know the area not long after I moved there, I glanced across to my right and saw this village on the hillside. I was gobsmacked, you just don't expect to see a whole Italian village driving down a Thai country road.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
      I glanced across to my right and saw this village on the hillside. I was gobsmacked, you just don't expect to see a whole Italian village driving down a Thai country road.
      There's more than one 'Italian' resort in the area, are you sure it wasn't one of those?
      'Tis me

Comment

No, its an actual village - it can be seen on the hillside to the right of the road to Khao Yai Floating Market - the one where there is no market and nothing floating, they take your money though.

I didn't drive right up to it - there could be a resort element but this place is far too big for a resort.

Update: after a look on Google Maps I think it could, in part be the Toscana Valley Resort. There has been a lot of other development nearby recently so the whole area looks built up. The only problem with that is that on google, part of Toscana is right at the side of the road, I remember what I saw was in the distance.

I'll check it out next time I'm back at home.

Second update:

Yes, I think it is Toscana Valley but its massive. Looks like the part nearest the road is Toscana Valley Country club and the 'village' is the resort - check out the gallery here:

http://toscanavalley.com/hotels/la_casetta/gallery.php

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Maybe you can see why I referred to it as a village:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@14.51...7i13312!8i6656
        Last edited by Flip; 3 Apr 2018, 15:19.

Comment

Yes, I think it is Toscana Valley but its massive. Looks like the part nearest the road is Toscana Valley Country club and the 'village' is the resort
          I thought that's what it was going to be! I did exactly the same as you, drive past, got back and googled it. Not so sure it was as advanced as it is now when I was there, but it's the same place. I must have first driven that way in May 2015, as that's when I got my truck and I was looking for a scenic route that I wouldn't get lost on. I left Korat heading west - the worst part - then returned heading north.
          'Tis me

Comment

Next time you're near my home, give me a shout Wayne - I may be in residence . I'm guessing you were at Palio on a weekday? Its generally packed on a weekend, even in the off season. The Italian influence in the area is massive and doesn't stop at Palio - there's an entire hillside Italian village which can appear a bit weird. I wasn't aware of it but driving along one day getting to know the area not long after I moved there, I glanced across to my right and saw this village on the hillside. I was gobsmacked, you just don't expect to see a whole Italian village driving down a Thai country road.
            Thanks for in invite mate, it was mid week, we were on our way back to Bangkok from the village, yes I saw the village, we went there thinking it was Palio, there is security at the beginning of the village, looks really nice. We didnt ask to go in, just turned around

Edit for my last
            Think is was taking about the wrong place...this is where I meant, where we turned around
            https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@14.53...7i13312!8i6656
            Last edited by Wayne & Ohm; 3 Apr 2018, 18:12.
            Going home soon on leave
            268 days to retirement

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]7288[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7293[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7289[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7290[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7292[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7291[/ATTACH]

Hills above Dan Sai (Loei) - Phi Ta Khon Museum, Dan Sai (Loei) Mekong River Front at Bueng Kan City
              St Micheal's Cathedral, Ta Rae (Sakon Nakhon) - Nr Ho Kham , looking into Bio Diversity Conservation Area Laos (Bueng Kan) Mekong River Front, Nong Khai City .
              the wife has just said hometown bueng kan now she wants to go home lol,,it was the first photo she knew

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider View Post
                Edit for my last
                Think is was taking about the wrong place...this is where I meant, where we turned around
                https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@14.53...7i13312!8i6656
                Yes, different road, different place but same general area - just goes to show, the Italian influence is huge all over Khao Yai.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thanks for in invite mate
                You'd be most welcome. I'm less than 10 minutes from the main road (Highway 2). I absolutely love it there, its a great place to live - peace and quiet and great scenery yet Tesco/Makro and all the facilities of Pak Chong are just a short drive away. My local bar (15 mins away) is run by a fellow Yorkshireman from Bingley and his Thai wife and if I have to visit the Big Mango, its normally a 1.5 to 2 hour drive. For me, its a great location. I've spent a bit of time further up - Yasothon and Buriram but for me, that's just too far.

Unfortunately I'm not back until September as I'm having an op in May and can't fly long haul for 3 months after that The good part is I'll be back on my bike with no pain! (fingers crossed)

Comment

You'll have to post some photos yourself Flip. Sounds terrific.

Comment

Yes, I probably will when the house is finished Barnet, I'm not big on photos and have few of the house before I started the current alterations - I have hundreds of the cock-ups the previous contractors made though

That's the view from my balcony though - looking south with the mountains of Khao Yai in the distance.

Comment

Yes, I probably will when the house is finished Barnet, I'm not big on photos and have few of the house before I started the current alterations - I have hundreds of the cock-ups the previous contractors made though [ATTACH=CONFIG]7351[/ATTACH]

That's the view from my balcony though - looking south with the mountains of Khao Yai in the distance.
                      Looking good mate, we are doing the same thing, we have had loads of clay (soil) delivered and are putting our house on 1 metre coloums so we have a nice, commanding view over our land. we are saving hard so we can get started. Plans are all done, just waiting for the monies now
                      Going home soon on leave
                      268 days to retirement

Comment

My house is all 'upstairs'. The basic frame is identical to a 2 storey but only the upstairs has been walled. It would be very easy to make it into a full 2 storey - just fill the walls in between the concrete frame. That was my original plan when I began thinking about the alterations but when I became single again, I decided I didn't need such a huge place. So I've just upgraded what was there and moved the staircase. I've dropped 2 windows on the south gable to form French Doors and take advantage of the views in the photo above. Double skinned the walls and insulated the resulting cavity, changed all doors and windows to double glazed uPVC units with low E glass and a new kitchen is waiting to be installed. All in all I think its going to be a lovely place to live and I'm hopefull that the changes to the walls and windows will keep it cooler and prevent me from hearing the damned village dogs at night .

You may want to consider raising those columns Wayne, the resulting space under the house is very useful - I have a downstairs toilet/shower, a utility room and shortly there will be a wokshop/bike store under the house. Plus I can park underneath .
                        Last edited by Flip; 9 Apr 2018, 18:40.

Comment

Yes we are thinking about doing it higher, but I would need just over 2m to put my vehicle under it lol. I hear you about the dogs, thats why we are about 1 k outside of the main village.
                          Going home soon on leave
                          268 days to retirement

Comment

but I would need just over 2m to put my vehicle under it lol
                            Mine is virtually 3m but there is an added advantage. Although I have decided to leave it the way it is, the option is always there to convert it to a full 2 storey house - without much expense.

Comment

My house is all 'upstairs'. The basic frame is identical to a 2 storey but only the upstairs has been walled. It would be very easy to make it into a full 2 storey - just fill the walls in between the concrete frame. That was my original plan when I began thinking about the alterations but when I became single again, I decided I didn't need such a huge place. So I've just upgraded what was there and moved the staircase. I've dropped 2 windows on the south gable to form French Doors and take advantage of the views in the photo above. Double skinned the walls and insulated the resulting cavity, changed all doors and windows to double glazed uPVC units with low E glass and a new kitchen is waiting to be installed. All in all I think its going to be a lovely place to live and I'm hopefull that the changes to the walls and windows will keep it cooler and prevent me from hearing the damned village dogs at night .

You may want to consider raising those columns Wayne, the resulting space under the house is very useful - I have a downstairs toilet/shower, a utility room and shortly there will be a wokshop/bike store under the house. Plus I can park underneath .
                              Thai people don't seem to be affected by noise issues Flip, or does it come out in ways that aren't obvious to a Westerner?

Comment

Originally posted by marshall View Post
                                Thai people don't seem to be affected by noise issues Flip, or does it come out in ways that aren't obvious to a Westerner?
                                Very true and its one thing I'll never understand. Believe me, when a pack of 15 dogs start barking at 2am in a peaceful, countryside location, you hear it! For some reason, right outside my house is where they choose to meet up and its even worse when there's a bitch in heat around, then the barking changes to howling. Yet nobody does anything or seems to wake up. Once they shut up, the chickens start - well before dawn! Still, I guess if you're born into it, you probably don't notice it. I can't do anything about it and letting your dogs roam free is the Thai way - and as much as it bugs me its not really for me to complain, its not my country.

I live in the countryside in the UK and its silent at night, you really can hear pins dropping so that's what I'm used to. The situation is also made worse because of my illness which sees me up for the loo 5 or 6 times every night so I guess I never get into a deep sleep.

The average Thai house has single glazed windows and 4 inch thick hollow block single walls that stop very little noise. Hopefully the insulated double walls and new windows I've installed will stop most of the noise and keep the place cooler. Even though the work is not finished, I have noticed that the house is cooler already. Being where I am its often cooler than other areas of Thailand at night and I simply use the ceiling fans but in March/April its unbearable without aircon. I think the changes I've made will reduce aircon use even further.

The final reason for the noise insulation is that the new toll version of Highway 2 is passing within 500m of my house. When I first learned of this the village headman was adamant that it was all going to be elevated. Noise from an elevated road travels further as there's little to soak it up. Part of the route follows the original road precisely so needs to be elevated but the section close to my house is well away from the original and I wasn't convinced it would be elevated - the cost is clearly much higher. Anyway, it now appears I was right, there are no signs of any concrete stanchions being built - simply a bulldozed route so I'm pretty sure the road is staying at ground level and I'll hardly hear it. I think the trucks will continue to use the old road, I can't see them paying tolls.

Comment

Working...
                                X