Iconic Bangkok station Hua Lamphong reaches the end of the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iconic Bangkok station Hua Lamphong reaches the end of the line

Hua Lamphong has seen the start and end of journeys for generations of Thai travellers and tourists alike.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Never used the main railway station but somehow ended up there to get the underground back to Sukhumvit quite a few times.
    I think on my first ever trip we got to Khao San Road and then walked all the way to this station (I have a thing for walking and taking in the sights).

Then we either got metro back towards Sukhumvit or we carries on walking. There was definitely some walking down Sukhumvit Road for ages to get back after either way though.

Comment

My very first foray into Thailand, Train up from Singapore in 94 - took approx 24 hrs, approx 690 bht 3rd class....stayed first night in a 50 bht room near the Station....must have been a knocking shop looking back on it...Happy Days !

Comment

"It's a bit sad" Well said Joe.

Arriving at Bangkok airport in January 1997 I carefully weighed up my options for getting into town....taxi, bus, or train. I decided on the train because it was the cheapest! Needless to say, on subsequent trips I chose not to.

Later on, the station was my starting point for many other journeys, mostly involving sleeper trains, an old favourite line being the one to Chiang Mai, and a memorable one down to Butterworth (Penang).

Comment

Left Hua Lamphong one evening back in 2001 for the boarder with Malaysia for a visa ran. Lovely train journey down to the south, which was a welcome break from Bangkok. Spent a night in Narathiwat, which was interesting and Malaysia was so different to Thailand much more organised but nightlife was no comparison!

Joe Cummings has had an interesting life.
          แอนโธนี่

Comment

Only used it once in my single days... Bangkok to Surin return...took an age to get there and not the most interesting journey after moving on from the leafy suburbs of Bangkok...windows were not very clean too!
            Cheers...

Comment

I remember the steam specials on the kings birthday and once even got up early enough to catch the arduous journey to err Patters.

The thing is the SRT probably own the station where as Bang Sue Grand Station or is it Bang Sue Grand Central is owned by the entity who loaned the money. The issue is how much the thais are in debt for all this railway mania. We all know who controls the debt . There is a faint wiff of something . M Portillo highlighted the issue in one of his railway programmes. Still I did see test trains operating on the new track heading north recently. Trains running to Ayutahaya or somewhere else. Are they standard guage trains that link up with trains now running to Vientiane from western China.

https://www.nomadicnotes.com/the-tra...on-ratchasima/

So where will the new station be in Korat ?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy in Isaan View Post
                Are they standard guage trains that link up with trains now running to Vientiane from western China.
                https://www.railway-technology.com/n...-nong-khai-lao : New bridge to be constructed over the Mekong, Nong Khai to Laos for the link up.

bangkok mags

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
                  https://www.railway-technology.com/n...-nong-khai-lao : New bridge to be constructed over the Mekong, Nong Khai to Laos for the link up.
                  Thanks for that, what I do not get is all the issan rail developments and new freight yards in metre guage. A lot of concrete is being poured.

Comment

Working...
                  X