X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobias
    replied
    Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post
    What about the UK now despite vaccination, 38000 recorded yesterday and I think around 140 deaths, is this becoming the new norm for vaccinated countries
    Ed Conway from Sky News provided an interesting analysis last night. Have a watch/read of this: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...panic-12391637

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post

What about the UK now despite vaccination, 38000 recorded yesterday and I think around 140 deaths, is this becoming the new norm for vaccinated countries
    Maybe one for a different thread?

Leave a comment:

• nickj1000
    replied
    Originally posted by Rav View Post
    Sounds really grim...Not sure how the gov't plans to open up the country again unless they can get more people fully vaccinated.

Leave a comment:

• Rav
    replied
    Sounds really grim...Not sure how the gov't plans to open up the country again unless they can get more people fully vaccinated.

Leave a comment:

• sisaket
    replied
    Originally posted by Rav View Post
    Hopefully they can get more people in Thailand vaccinated ASAP.
    Can anyone in Thailand fill us in as to what the situation is like in there at the moment regarding Covid?
    Are there lots of cases? Are people taking up the offer to get vaccinated? Are there restrictions in place like there was in the UK and are people taking them seriously?
    Any info would be very gratefully received.
    Just trying to form an impression as to what things are like back in the LOS
    From a Bangkok perspective, there is still a curfew 9pm to 4am, people are slowly getting vaccinated, but people I interact with do not want Chinese vaccines, I was at Bang Sue Grand Central Vaccination Center a couple of weeks ago its gone from chaos to orderly with plenty of capacity for the public to sit with social distancing mandates. Also whilst at Bang Sue I used the brand new SRT Red Line which is in operational testing and trips are free to the public until Nov, but there were literally a hand full of passengers on each train, the BTS and MRT are less busy than normal, lots of people encouraged to work from home if possible.
    I used the red line to Lak Si en-route to Muang Thong Thani (Nonthaburi) for 90 day reporting (Immigration).
    Recent figures are starting to show a downward trend in COVID infection rates from a high of over 20,000 and now hovering just above 17,000 with people released / recovered above 20,000 per day.
    There has been less choice in 7/11's in my district due to logistical / food processing shortages a knock on effect of recent outbreaks of COVID for example I only drink 0% fat free milk and 0% fat free original yogurts, in all my local 7/11's of which there are four with a fifth closed down, they have not stocked these items for a number of weeks. The construction of the Bangkok Mall has resumed after the site had closed down due to COVID restrictions and Udom Suk market as also re-opened after been forced to close down for the same reason.
    Away from Bangkok, Phang Na Province is re-opening specific destinations to foreigners who have completed 7 day Phuket sand-box stays, they are hoping to attract 30,000 foreigners in the last quarter of 2021, however next months ''Charming Chiang Mai'' re-opening has been delayed until OCT due to a failure to vaccinate at least 70% of the local population. Up to today (Pattaya Mail) people receiving at least one vaccine shot stood at 27.4 million across Thailand.
    Also in the Pattaya Mail today : ''Thailand to consider opening country to normalcy by year-end ''.

Leave a comment:

• Sammy Shrimper
    replied
    Here in Pattaya there is a real push to get ex-pats vaccinated. Majority getting Pfizer, myself included. Under 60's are getting Astra Zeneca, with a small group getting Sinovac followed 3 weeks later with the Astra Zeneca. I had my first vaccination last week and I would estimate at least fifty people an hour. I was vaccinated in Pattaya Central shopping mall. They are vaccinating in at least three hospitals as well, so pleased to report that at last the vaccinations for us Westerners has has started.

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    Same in Hua Hin as described by Das, above. The town around the tourist areas is very desolate. 70-80% of shops, bars and restaurants have shut and the area is full of 'to let' and 'for sale' signs.

The town is still aiming to re-open to international tourists from October and vaccinations are taking place at a steady rate. Mainly sinovac followed by AZ. Nobody wanrs sinovac but it's Hobsons Choice.

In reality, Prachuap Kiri Khan hasn't been hit too hard by covid, although there are a few deaths daily. Most outbreaks have been canning factories and the like heading towards the border with Myanmar, which distorts the figures somewhat. The rest tend to be clusters of friends and families.

It mustn't be forgotten that this latest wave started in the hiso clubs of Thonglor in Bkk and nightclubs in Phuket, operating illegally, and spread from there.

Leave a comment:

• DAS
    replied
    There are around 20,000 confirmed cases a day at present, although I doubt the level of testing is anywhere as high as the UK. Around 200 deaths a day also numbers appear to be pretty flat at the moment.

There seems to be more vaccines available now and most people want them, however there is a long way to go before reaching 80% fully vaccinated. I believe it's still under 10% at the moment.

There are many restrictions where I live Chonburi. Curfew from 21.00 to 04.00. All restaurants and bars closed some restaurants doing delivery or takeaway. Hairdressers and massage parlours closed. Swimming pools and gyms closed and worst of all the beaches too. Masks worn pretty much everywhere, fine for not doing so.

People in general are following the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Rav
    replied
    Hopefully they can get more people in Thailand vaccinated ASAP.

Can anyone in Thailand fill us in as to what the situation is like in there at the moment regarding Covid?

Are there lots of cases? Are people taking up the offer to get vaccinated? Are there restrictions in place like there was in the UK and are people taking them seriously?

Any info would be very gratefully received.

Just trying to form an impression as to what things are like back in the LOS

Leave a comment:

• DAS
    replied
    Wife had the Astra Zeneca vaccine yesterday after having Sinovac a month ago sore arm but no other effects at the moment. Hope it's effective but no one really knows. Still waiting for my second dose in September.

Leave a comment:

• DAS
    replied
    Wife got a phone call yesterday come now for a vaccine at Kilo Sip hospital she went along with our next door neighbour and her daughter (22 years old) it was Sinovac to be followed in 4 weeks with AZ. People of all ages it seems. She will be fully vaccinated before me as my second dose is September.

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    Originally posted by DAS View Post
    They are clutching at straws Caller, they can't get enough AZ and they know Sinovac is virtually useless. I hope the production of AZ improves soon, for every ones sake.
    Well, judging by the latest disclosures and a leak of a letter to Anutin from AZ, it now appears the Thai Govt. Has been lying all along to it's people. No surprise there. They have messed up the vaccine purchases from the start and have now been found out. Not that anything will change.

AstraZeneca says Thailand only requested 3 million doses per month in initial agreement

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30034/a...ial-agreement/

Leave a comment:

• DAS
    replied
    They are clutching at straws Caller, they can't get enough AZ and they know Sinovac is virtually useless. I hope the production of AZ improves soon, for every ones sake.

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    In Hua Hin, they have announced that sinovac followed by AZ is now the order of the day for all age groups.

Leave a comment:

• DAS
    replied
    It hasn't stopped them ordering another 10,000,000 more Sinovac doses Tom. I can't see a way out of this for Thailand, it's looking very bleak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X