Clear All

• The Obesity Crisis in Thai Temples from the BBC World Service

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08ymfhp or

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1ck0
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

From the BBC link above:

Obesity crisis in Thai temples

The Documentary

“Very early every morning, Thai Buddhist monks leave their monasteries to seek alms. They have been doing this since the time of the Buddha who stated that monks cannot cook for themselves. They can only eat food that has been given to them.

By giving alms, people are making merit for themselves and their ancestors and so, whilst the food takes care of the monks’ physical health, the monks can concentrate on the spiritual wellbeing of the nation by offering blessings in return for food and spending many hours each day in prayer and meditation.

Obesity is a growing problem in Thailand. As the country becomes more affluent, its citizens are working more and cooking less which means that they are buying more convenience foods containing high levels of fat and sugar.

In the Thai population at large, one in three men is obese but the numbers are worse in Thai temples where one in two Buddhist monks is obese. They eat the same food as the Thai population and they only eat in the mornings so what is the problem?

Sucheera Maguire has been to Bangkok to talk to those who give and receive alms and she takes a look at some of the ingenious solutions that Thai nutritionists have come up with to combat the obesity crisis in Thai temples.”

Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Good to see the BBC sticking their nose into other people's countries again. Must be about time we had a couple more pictures of chained up monkeys from 3 years ago. Sorry but they seek the worst in everything, sensationalise and use whatever methods to get it including falsifying papers to attain interviews or joining unwarranted police invasions into celebrities properties. As you might guess I am not keen on their poetic licence including the 95% invention on the latest series of the Crown without repercussions. Sorry off topic I know ! And you have guessed I will not be paying the licence form next year

Comment

It’s a little unfair to blame the BBC for the poetic nuances of a Netflix/Sony TV production!
        Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
          It’s a little unfair to blame the BBC for the poetic nuances of a Netflix/Sony TV production!
          OK, hands up, you caught me on the crown Tobias ! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post
            Good to see the BBC sticking their nose into other people's countries again. Must be about time we had a couple more pictures of chained up monkeys from 3 years ago. Sorry but they seek the worst in everything, sensationalise...
            It might have been better to have listened to that BBC World Service podcast from "The Documentary" series before making sweeping generalisations. This enjoyable and informative documentary was put together by Thai people themselves. The presenter is Thai. The interviewees are Thai. It is positive in its outlook as it shows how Thai people are developing ingenious local solutions to an emerging local social problem.
            "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Well,well... this has been an emotive issue between myself and her ladyship (wife) she makes pizza, which is all well and fine, until one day she called to say she's made pizza for monks at a temple nearby, where her sister attends a lot, to my dismay because of virtually everything in the podcast I tried to give examples of why (I think) it is a bad idea, but she'd done it already, this was not part of monks walking for alms, but later when they return from walking, then they pick what they want to eat, however some did try and the rest was eaten by locals who share what the monks don't eat, which I guess is fine as a one off, but one of the monks had told her sister later he would like to try some more, so she did again a few weeks later.
              Next up was her mams local temple, some one asked her to make for there, the final straw was the whole family went to my brother-in-laws temple in Yasothon, where they had taken the pizza oven in a pick-up, which I didn't know anything about until one of her sisters started posting pictures in a family LINE group, to which I was straight on the phone, but was assured was just a one off.
              I understand every now and again people eat things that are bad for them as a treat etc and just because I don't eat stuff like that, I don't lecture what people should or should nt eat, but I find it may encourage others to start taking food that is not compatible with a monks life style, especially in forest temples, which are different from town / city temples in some aspects.
              But there has been (as far as I know) no repeats of this. She has just walked through the door from Phetchabun, and I have asked the said question.
              PS nickj1000 last time I paid the TV tax was around 20yrs ago.
              bangkok mags

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
                ... the final straw was the whole family went to my brother-in-laws temple in Yasothon, where they had taken the pizza oven in a pick-up, which I didn't know anything about .........

Wake up , wash teeth , have coffeee, stare at space where pizza oven used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by richardb View Post

Wake up , wash teeth , have coffeee, stare at space where pizza oven used to be.

The oven in Surin, im in BKK,if I was there at the time im sure pizza oven transportation would not have happened
                  bangkok mags

Comment

Originally posted by sisaket View Post
                    Well,well... this has been an emotive issue between myself and her ladyship (wife) she makes pizza, which is all well and fine, until one day she called to say she's made pizza for monks at a temple nearby, where her sister attends a lot, to my dismay because of virtually everything in the podcast I tried to give examples of why (I think) it is a bad idea, but she'd done it already, this was not part of monks walking for alms, but later when they return from walking, then they pick what they want to eat, however some did try and the rest was eaten by locals who share what the monks don't eat, which I guess is fine as a one off, but one of the monks had told her sister later he would like to try some more, so she did again a few weeks later.
                    Next up was her mams local temple, some one asked her to make for there, the final straw was the whole family went to my brother-in-laws temple in Yasothon, where they had taken the pizza oven in a pick-up, which I didn't know anything about until one of her sisters started posting pictures in a family LINE group, to which I was straight on the phone, but was assured was just a one off.
                    I understand every now and again people eat things that are bad for them as a treat etc and just because I don't eat stuff like that, I don't lecture what people should or should nt eat, but I find it may encourage others to start taking food that is not compatible with a monks life style, especially in forest temples, which are different from town / city temples in some aspects.
                    But there has been (as far as I know) no repeats of this. She has just walked through the door from Phetchabun, and I have asked the said question.
                    PS nickj1000 last time I paid the TV tax was around 20yrs ago.
                    Good God, you are clearly a pathfinder !

Comment

Originally posted by Tom & Nok View Post

It might have been better to have listened to that BBC World Service podcast from "The Documentary" series before making sweeping generalisations. This enjoyable and informative documentary was put together by Thai people themselves. The presenter is Thai. The interviewees are Thai. It is positive in its outlook as it shows how Thai people are developing ingenious local solutions to an emerging local social problem.
                      Sorry but I do not like BBC headlines and their methods and ethics which are clearly on trial now. True to say though that I have not watched the documentary

Comment

Contents of the Documentary : It is not offensive to Monk or layatey . Just a short about diet then and now and food choices made by a monk who is reliant on what he is offered. And the affects on the Monks of modern food offerings.

Imagine the kerfuffle if you or one of your family offered a monk food and he said NO for health reasons.

It is a slight bit of journalism but worth a listen INMO. It is authentic and its voices are authentic. Richard
                        Last edited by richardb; 23 Nov 2020, 00:04.

Comment

Sorry but I do not like BBC headlines and their methods and ethics which are clearly on trial now.
                          How so?
                          Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post

How so?
                            We will see how the Diana tapes progress based upon an investigation instigated by the BBC which will I am sure will be buried as much as possible and even if wrong doing is blatantly clear a simple fine will suffice which we pay for anyway. They are apparently waving a letter from the Princess saying that she has agreed that Bashir's information or documents or whatever they are referring to did not influence her to take part in the interview, why on earth would she write such a letter is there was no wrong doing. I also see many headlines by the BBC that are misleading and incorrect. An example could be the latest debacle on capital gain tax where they have the headlines suggesting that capital gains tax could double according to the independent advisory body only including the worst scenario and omitting the core mitigating facts that are actually headlines in the report that offer some relief to long term investors. There are so many examples of these things that it could go on forever. If they are purely commercial that is fine. I do not watch the BBC by choice, but I have little or no choice about paying their bill. No offence to lovers of the BBC

Comment

We will see how the Diana tapes progress based upon an investigation instigated by the BBC which will I am sure will be buried as much as possible and even if wrong doing is blatantly clear a simple fine will suffice which we pay for anyway. They are apparently waving a letter from the Princess saying that she has agreed that Bashir's information or documents or whatever they are referring to did not influence her to take part in the interview, why on earth would she write such a letter is there was no wrong doing...
                              The investigation is in to the actions of Martin Bashir and his team. There is a public interest in this investigation and potential criminal sanctions. I'd expect a report on the findings to be published once the investigation is complete.

... I also see many headlines by the BBC that are misleading and incorrect. An example could be the latest debacle on capital gain tax where they have the headlines suggesting that capital gains tax could double according to the independent advisory body only including the worst scenario and omitting the core mitigating facts that are actually headlines in the report that offer some relief to long term investors. There are so many examples of these things that it could go on forever. If they are purely commercial that is fine. I do not watch the BBC by choice, but I have little or no choice about paying their bill. No offence to lovers of the BBC
                              A headline is just that, no conspiracy there. The headline is to grab attention and provide an indication of the article's subject. None of the examples you have provided appear misleading or incorrect to me, or are you suggesting the article attached to the headline is misleading or incorrect?
                              Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Working...
                              X