TripAdvisor warns users over Thai hotel that legally pursued reviewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TripAdvisor warns users over Thai hotel that legally pursued reviewer

It issues a warning for a hotel after a customer was arrested for leaving negative reviews.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

The US man left several negative reviews which the hotel says are untrue and damage its reputation.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Comment

Are you sure he is a tourist ? An article from another website said he lived in Thailand. In which case you'd think he should have know better.

Comment

He lives and works here, he was talking about his work permit in one of his notes.

Wholly deserved in my opinion.

Comment

Irrespective of opinions of whether he deserved it or should have known better unfortunately it doesnt paint a very good image of Thailand and just how easy it would be to get into serious trouble for saying the wrong thing.

In fact you dont even need to do that you could just be accused of it.
          Still not exactly unique to Thailand.
          On another note we have stayed at that Hotel and on the whole the experience was good, honestly.

Comment

Terrible PR for the hotel and wholly deserved. I hope they suffer for it. They already had 32 other terrible reviews and now they are getting slated everywhere for this. Good. Thailand acts as if it's an absolute given that tourists are queuing up to visit, whereas we all knew numbers were down even before the virus hit. There's a reason for that and I am not talking about the high value of the baht.
            'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by James HKT View Post
              Wholly deserved in my opinion.
              The review of the hotel or that he is facing jail

Comment

Jail, typical American thinking he can do and say whatever he wants. Som nam na.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Originally posted by caller View Post
                Terrible PR for the hotel and wholly deserved. I hope they suffer for it. They already had 32 other terrible reviews and now they are getting slated everywhere for this. Good. Thailand acts as if it's an absolute given that tourists are queuing up to visit, whereas we all knew numbers were down even before the virus hit. There's a reason for that and I am not talking about the high value of the baht.
                And ?

According to TripAdvisor;

30 terrible reviews
                48 poor reviews
                170 average reviews
                582 very good reviews
                1090 excellent reviews

Your standards are clearly very very high !! 555555

For anyone that just thinks this guy made a bad review and that’s it needs to look a bit further. Take a look at Richard Barrow’s FB blog for all the details.

Comment

Jail for posting a bad review but mowing down a cop at high speed and dragging him to his death before fleeing and as yet still uncharged and facing no jail time. Sorry, but yet another example of an awful judicial system.

Comment

Jail, typical American thinking he can do and say whatever he wants.
                    Remarkable!
                    You enjoy the freedom to put down all Americans, you must know a huge amount of them, yet undoubtedly wouldn't write anything bad about your host country or countrymen, of course you wouldn't, when in Rome etc.
                    The BBC article takes a holistic view of the story and the effect on Thai society which is the important issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by Natty View Post
                      Remarkable!
                      You enjoy the freedom to put down all Americans, you must know a huge amount of them, yet undoubtedly wouldn't write anything bad about your host country or countrymen, of course you wouldn't, when in Rome etc.
                      The BBC article takes a holistic view of the story and the effect on Thai society which is the important issue here.
                      Remarkable that you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.

Originally posted by Barnet View Post
                      Jail for posting a bad review but mowing down a cop at high speed and dragging him to his death before fleeing and as yet still uncharged and facing no jail time. Sorry, but yet another example of an awful judicial system.
                      It wasn’t just “a” bad review, it was multiple dubious reviews citing race and unfounded accusations on several platforms over a period of time.

If you are talking about the Redbull heir on your second comment of course he was charged and the Thai police have asked Interpol to issue a red notice last week.

Comment

And ?

30 terrible reviews
                        48 poor reviews
                        170 average reviews
                        582 very good reviews
                        1090 excellent reviews

Your standards are clearly very very high !! 555555.
                        Pretty high actually. Their reaction makes me wonder what else they have done with poor or other reviews,? Its trip advisor. You have to try and read between the lines. For example, just look how many reviews are dated April for people that stayed in February. One who stayed in December waited until May to write a review. I don't know abut you, but if I write a review, it tends to be pretty soon after my stay and not months later.

In my opinion, what was or wasn't done and whatever Richard Barrow has to say about the matter is an irrelevance. What's relevant to me, is the response of the hotel. Period.

And in fairness, their initial response to the poor review from the guy they sued, is perfectly adequate and it should have ended there. But as a consequence of their action, I would prefer to give this place a wide berth. I'm sure there are plenty of others to choose from, should I ever plan to visit.

The Thai Hotels Association is trying to put a brave face on it and are critical of the hotels response.:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...erbox#cxrecs_s
                        'Tis me

Comment

Originally posted by Natty View Post
                          Remarkable!
                          You enjoy the freedom to put down all Americans, you must know a huge amount of them, yet undoubtedly wouldn't write anything bad about your host country or countrymen, of course you wouldn't, when in Rome etc. …….

Now I’m not responding from the smallest room in the house in the middle of the night I will give you a fuller response.

Actually, I do know many Americans as both clients and friends. It is a very common attitude amongst Americans that the USA is the best and most powerful country in the world and they can do and say exactly what they want. Usually very loudly as well. There was a case in a Pattaya supermarket few years ago that highlights this perfectly when during an argument in the checkout queue a man informed staff and other customers “ I’m American, I do what I want” (https://www.samuitimes.com/american-...rformance-yet/). Although this type of performance is not common it is a common attitude.

In this particular case had the guy stuck to the facts in his review and given the hotel a one star I doubt there would have been a problem. For example something like “ They wanted to charge me 500 baht corkage fee for bringing my own drink into the restaurant, so I complained and the manager waived the charge”. That is the main basis of his complaint after all. But that’s not what he did. Firstly he mentioned things that could be deemed racist and things that are very offensive. Why for example is it relevant to mention that the manager is Czech, and also accuse the hotel of modern day slavery. He then went on to weaponize his reviews on many platforms over a period of time to cause as much damage as was possible. From the hotel point of view he would carry on doing this for an unknown period of time and had to be stopped. They tried to contact him many times to reach a compromise, all to no avail as he never responded.

So, to summarize my view, I don’t see a problem with a negative review as long as it sticks to the facts. There is no need to make xenophobic or false comments that are there only to incite hatred and damage a business. The hotel and manager have most definitely been defamed and deserve justice.

With regard to your other comments I am a guest in this country and observe my hosts customs, traditions and Laws. If I was not willing to do that I’d go home, which is exactly where all the moaners and wingers should go and good riddance.

Comment

Leaving a bad review is one thing, but conducting a vendetta against the hotel is another. When you are up to your neck in xxxx - especially in LoS - don't make waves.
                            aka Spud

Comment

Originally posted by caller View Post
                              Pretty high actually.
                              Their reaction makes me wonder what else they have done with poor or other reviews,? Its trip advisor. You have to try and read between the lines. For example, just look how many reviews are dated April for people that stayed in February. One who stayed in December waited until May to write a review. I don't know abut you, but if I write a review, it tends to be pretty soon after my stay and not months later.

In my opinion, what was or wasn't done and whatever Richard Barrow has to say about the matter is an irrelevance. What's relevant to me, is the response of the hotel. Period.
                              Ok, lets deal with your response in order.

To make it simpler lets group the terrible & poor reviews as negative, and average/ very good and excellent as positive. That seems fair as that is exactly what they are.

Let's remind ourselves of the stats ;

30 terrible reviews
                              48 poor reviews
                              170 average reviews
                              582 very good reviews
                              1090 excellent reviews

So, 78 are negative and 1842 are positive. As a percentage of the sample that means 4% are negative, and 96% are positive. (I have rounded these figures). If you truly think that a 4% negative review rate is “ Pretty high actually” I have no retort to that, other than your expectations are unrealistically high.

I can’t really comment about when most people write their reviews. Sometimes I write mine soon after, sometimes when I am booking my next trip and go back to the website to see the reminders to review as I would only use TripAdvisor or similar when booking my trip rather at the end of the trip. Are you saying that some of these reviews are false since they were left some time after the trips?

What Richard has said is not relevant I agree and he hasn’t come out on either side. Also, that was not my point. On his FB posts Richard has shown the actual reviews and responses from both sides. For anyone interested in the truth they can look at the evidence and make their own opinions.

Originally posted by manfarang View Post
                              Leaving a bad review is one thing, but conducting a vendetta against the hotel is another. .........
                              And that is the perfect descriptive word.

Comment

Working...
                              X