Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fresh Outlook is writing an article on Thailands election of its 1st female PM

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thaddeus
    replied
    Originally posted by ian1208 View Post
    Seems the thread starter is quite
    Yep, I've checked their website every day since this topic started, so far, zip.

Leave a comment:

• ian1208
    replied
    Seems the thread starter is quite

Leave a comment:

• colin244
    replied
    Originally posted by ian1208 View Post

What a great thread
    Agree with that ian, they should have more elections in LOS

colin 244

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    Dave, I'm not sure a direct comparison can be made or is of any value? But taxation in Thailand in 10/11 represented 17% of GDP. In the UK for 08/09, net Govt revenue from taxation was 40% of GDP.

Leave a comment:

• ian1208
    replied
    Ohhh! Non Thais arguing about Thai politics, love it

I would imagine one could live 100 years in Thailand and still never get your head around the rational about why they voted this or that way.

BTW, for all his faults (bad and even very bad ones) Thaksin was the only PM to acknowledge that ‘personal’ foreign land ownership needed to be addressed and even suggested a foreigner should be able to own the land he builds a house on. Even if it was only token, and extending to half a rai.
    This is contrary to the anti-foreigner sentiments quoted elsewhere.
    Just like the present day UK, Thailand would collapse inwards to obscurity without foreign investment and tourism.
    That said, the majority of indigenous Thais that voted may not particularly care about us and are only being (possibly right) by thinking of themselves and their immediate future.
    I agree with Thad (sometimes reluctantly) that some in Bangkok seem to be in a different country or even planet to the reality of most of Thailand.

‘Tai’
    Ever wonder why roads in Thailand need resurfaced so often!

I can, if you have a couple of days to hear the reason why but can assure you 100% of an allocated budget IS spent on the project. I think you mean who gets what and from where out of the budget spent.

What a great thread

Leave a comment:

• ddwjg
    replied
    Originally posted by brian99 View Post

Your concern for the Thai people is touching, but I thought that ones you lived with were Khamin? How about starting a campaign for the teaching of the Khamin language in 'Thai' Schools in Sissaket and Surin, if you are so concerned?
    Brian, For someone who lived in Thailand for so long, and have contacts that give you inside knowledge to amazing facts about the Thai economy, even knowing that there are many who don't pay tax, for which I gave you great credit in a previous post, how is it you know so little about Thailands people. The quote above sounds very racist to me. Do you feel that those Thais who speak Khmer and who have come from parents who are Khmer, are not Thai?

For someone who lived in Thailand for, what was it, 7 years, as a school teacher, I believe, and you use a word like Khamin. Sums up the reality of your knowledge, and your prejudice.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Thaddeus
    replied
    Correction: 'unfortunately very little has convinced me so far that it will happen'.
    Will happen, emphasis on 'will happen' future tense. Would it help if I had said "very little I have read so far has convinced me that it will happen" again future tense. Yes, they haven't even formed a government yet, but they have been campaigning for months, on a platform of pie in the sky promises that are unachievable without sending the country in to a financially downward spiral. That is what convinces me, I know they cannot live up to their promises, and they know it too, but the people believe them.

For the rest.

Most of the people I live with can speak Khmen, but they are not Khmer, most of the people think they can speak Lao, but they don't, as you would find out if you spent any time in Laos with one of them as I have.

Teaching Khmen in school? most of the kids are conversant in Khmen/Pah Sah Isaan well before they ever get to school, the schools have to teach Thai starting at a very basic level.

But if you came here and tried to suggest to them though, that they are anything other than Thai, you would not be welcome here very long, if you said that in some places here, you would be here for a very very long time..... well, your remains would.

Can I assume that you spend most of your time in Bangkok as your profile would suggest, if so, for your safety and sanity it may be best to stay there.

Leave a comment:

• brian99
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaddeus View Post
    I didn't say very little has happened.

And my previous judgement wasn't based on names.
    Correction: 'unfortunately very little has convinced me so far that it will happen'.

What a ridiculous statement as no government has even been formed yet you are already saying you see no evidence of Thailand moving forward, give the woman a chance at least.

Your concern for the Thai people is touching, but I thought that ones you lived with were Khamin? How about starting a campaign for the teaching of the Khamin language in 'Thai' Schools in Sissaket and Surin, if you are so concerned?

Leave a comment:

• Tai
    replied

I do want Thailand to move forward, I want Yingluck to be left alone to try to live up to the promises she has made to the Thai people, unfortunately very little has convinced me so far that it will happen, and I am more concerned about the consequences for the ordinary Thai people (the ones that I live with, yes, I live with a Thai family and I'm not married to any of them, so I tend to be less blinkered than some)

I am concerned that most of the promises made by PTP are not even remotely achievable without bankrupting the country and causing a massive inflation spike, that will be good for the poor farmers won't it.

I am concerned about how the poor farmers are going to feel when PTP fail to deliver their promises because it would bankrupt the country, they are going to feel duped, again, but this time they may sit up and take notice, the consequences of that do not bear thinking about, but they have to be thought about.

I am concerned about the word 'reconciliation' when uttered by any MP. No political party has ever wanted that, the old divide and conquer rule works far better for them to stay in power, create a bad situation and then blame the other side for it, works every time, create a bad situation by being totally inept, blame the other side for it, works the same way.
    Once again, thank you. It's uplifting to hear someone who doesn't have to, but genuinely cares about Thailand and Thai people.

Leave a comment:

• Thaddeus
    replied
    I didn't say very little has happened.

And my previous judgement wasn't based on names.

Leave a comment:

• brian99
    replied
    It took you this long to notice that..... small wonder that some other less obvious stuff has failed to register.
    Judging nationality from names then must mean you are a Greek, or the devil, and Maokaang is also a Thai, my second name is not 99 by the way.

You say very little that has happened so far has convinced you PT will live up to it's promises, nothing has happened so far as the election was only two days ago and no govt formed yet. They can live up to the promises, could start by taxing the rich and making people at the top start paying taxes for the first time, why should one of the richest such institutions in the world not pay taxes to it's own country? Also, they could put a cap on the perks and size of the bloated military, no end of ways to save and raise money. Not just people at the top though, far more people should by paying income tax. I think the starting level is too low, what is it 20k a month? far too many people avoid paying it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Thaddeus
    replied
    Originally posted by francis View Post
    You lost learn to live with it, if Thailand is to move forward I hope it is without people like you, people who are bitter in defeat and then try to belittle others.
    Purleeze, I am not bitter in defeat, pretty hard to be defeated when you aren't even a contestant, neither do I try to belittle others, most are quite capable of doing that themselves (sic).

I do want Thailand to move forward, I want Yingluck to be left alone to try to live up to the promises she has made to the Thai people, unfortunately very little has convinced me so far that it will happen, and I am more concerned about the consequences for the ordinary Thai people (the ones that I live with, yes, I live with a Thai family and I'm not married to any of them, so I tend to be less blinkered than some)

I am concerned that most of the promises made by PTP are not even remotely achievable without bankrupting the country and causing a massive inflation spike, that will be good for the poor farmers won't it.

I am concerned about how the poor farmers are going to feel when PTP fail to deliver their promises because it would bankrupt the country, they are going to feel duped, again, but this time they may sit up and take notice, the consequences of that do not bear thinking about, but they have to be thought about.

I am concerned about the word 'reconciliation' when uttered by any MP. No political party has ever wanted that, the old divide and conquer rule works far better for them to stay in power, create a bad situation and then blame the other side for it, works every time, create a bad situation by being totally inept, blame the other side for it, works the same way.

I am not bitter, but I am pragmatic and realistic. (and more than a little irritating sometimes)

Leave a comment:

• francis
    replied
    It took you this long to notice that..... small wonder that some other less obvious stuff has failed to register.
    You lost learn to live with it, if Thailand is to move forward I hope it is without people like you, people who are bitter in defeat and then try to belittle others.

Leave a comment:

• colin244
    replied
    Originally posted by Tai View Post
    Ever wonder why roads in Thailand need resurfaced so often!!
    Sounds rather like the UK then

----------

BTW I just realised you are Thai
    I think the name posts are under is a clue brian99 (Whoops just seen Thad has already said that)

colin 244 (with Northern wife)
    Last edited by colin244; 4 Jul 2011, 21:40. Reason: repeated Thad

Leave a comment:

• caller
    replied
    Well its all water under the bridge now, as the good folk of LOS have decided. Lets all hope it turns out for the best and deals are done to keep the peace and allow the new government to do the job they have been elected to. They're going to have a tough time.

Brian, sorry you don't like me using the term Toxin and I agree he had the right to sell his Co. But trying to avoid tax on doing so was a bit much. However, as with you, I really would like to see some redistrubution of wealth in the Country - for the long term and to relieve some of the abject poverty that so many folk live under and it wouldn't actually take much to do so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X