This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ooy:
    By the by, the French approach to EC policy for the last few years on immigration is to ignore the rules and shunt as many of the newcomers over to the entrance of the Channel Tunnel - its an English problem, apparantly.
    Same approach as the Thais then!

The Thai news this week has been full of how London and Canada are taking their Karen and Lao refugees.

The Thais just stick these people in border camps, refuse them any kind of Thai ID at all (to avoid accepting any responsibility for them), and then appeal to the "International community" (ie the West) to take them away.

Which we do.

So the Asian countries maintain their policies of zero immigration and the West takes on all the world's problems.

Rant over.

Comment

after all, there's a war or two going on, internal security problems and a lot that impacts on the guy on the street on a daily basis, some nasty shootings for a start. Oh - and the snow!

Exactly real issues that might cause the government even more problems better divert attention onto immigration to avoid having to face reality.

As to your first comment I read pretty much all the papers via the web including most of the Swiss french and german broadsheets to try to get some balance.

I agree the alternatives are pretty bad but MOST people who I know want shut of Blair and in the main none of them are happy about Brown taking over.

If you want the status quo up to you but the dmage being done will take years to fix.

ash
      Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Comment

Well, at least I share the view of the people you know about Brown!
        'Tis me

Comment

'the dmage being done will take years to fix.'

is that not the problem Labour are having, trying yo put right the years of damage done by Thatcher and her Tory croonies
          We'll never win the Premier League,
          We'll never win a Cup,
          We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

He said years, not decades

BigRed

Comment

We'll never win the Premier League,
              We'll never win a Cup,
              We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

Hi Caller, Disenfranchised, the meaning is Grief that you can not share with society :ie the loss of a pet or an aborted baby.
                dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Comment

Originally posted by db1:
                  Hi Caller, Disenfranchised, the meaning is ...
                  Indeed, but in political terms it usually means to be deprived of the rights of citizenship or the right to vote.

I understood caller to mean that he felt disenfranchised because he was unable 'to vote' for the new PM when the current incumbent eventually moves on.
                  Tobias - โทเบียส
                  It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Thank you for the other meaning M,lord
                    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Comment

Thanks for the update, guys!

Tobias, your thinking is far too logical for the quality of my English (I think that makes sense?).

What I meant to say was not so literal, but rather a general malaise about the stance of the various parties on a range of issues that I struggle to agree with, so in effect, I don't feel that any party is offering ME enough to make me want to vote for them, should the need arise.

The only thing I am absolutely clear on is the need for an introduction of an ID card that isn't rushed, as much legislation is, and actually works, rather than be the usual shambles these things turn out to be. We're just beginning to hear about the reality of postal votes, which is linked to the ID card, (bar a few local politicians being prosecuted) and just as they're about to scrap the standards board of England, as well. Which in itself was another wasted opportunity, and it goes on and on....

As the old man and his powder puff's partner in opposition "lead" parties that are both against the introduction of ID cards, it kind of reduces my options. But, but, there is so much more than just the one issue. Tax is just one obvious other.

With any luck, I'll be out of the Country when the call to vote comes around, as I was last time.
                      'Tis me

Comment

Getting back to ESOL charges.........

Mook has said that since the anouncement of the charges her group has fallen from 14 to 6.

So more translaters will be needed as most of these people have ILR in her group.

The govt needs to do ESOL for free to all legal immigrants, charge anyone else i.e foreign students, any illegal imigrants or people waiing for deportation. No benefits at all of any kind for illegals or europeans coming to work in UK.

The govt should stop translaters of all kinds except for cases where a crime is committed against a non native speaker so they can get justice.

My missus and me jumped through hoops to get ILR I pay lots in taxes and when i did lose a job i claimed nothing, not that we would get anything !!. I am frankly fed up with legal immigrants being tarred with the same brush as illegal imigrants. The majority are not spongers and bring a lot to this country.
                        Regards
                        Neil

Comment

Working...
                        X