Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESOL Course - Have you used this company?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESOL Course - Have you used this company?

Has anybody used this company to get ESOL + Citizenship certificate?

I am thinking of using this company for Nok to (hopefully) obtain her certificate needed to get ILR/Citizenship and was wondering if anybody had actually used them?

Also if used which is the course that she would need to do (no doubt we will be told by the company but any advice ...)

ESOL with Citizenship
    or
    ESOL with Citizenship Certificate (ESBI)
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

They look like identical courses to me, Gary.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

My thoughts too Tobias, but thought I was missing something. I intend to go and see them tomorrow and find out.

Comment

Gary, don't overlook that the city council's Adult Education Service runs courses. A number of the courses listed here might well contain the required ESOL/Citizenship content.
        John

Comment

we used learn direct, and it is not the right one, so we wasted a year, we then enrolled on the leicestershire adult education one, EDXELL, esol + citizenship, and sa passed or progress and obtained the approved certifacate and the correct leter from the college ready to apply in jan
          Andy c, Pattaya Pattaya, sexy man, mak mak

Comment

Andy, did you use Cohesion Legal Services or another provider?

On their website, Cohesion Legal Services state that their course qualifies for the Life in the UK requirement for ILR/Citizenship.

That said, I was a little concerned to read the claim "Get Your "Life in the UK" Qualification possibly within a week ...".
            Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

I was a little concerned to read the claim "Get Your "Life in the UK" Qualification possibly within a week ...".
              Tobias, I suspect that refers to the test rather than a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.
              John

Comment

That was my first thought John, although quite misleading when read in the context of the page where it appears.
                Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Sorry not had time to get on here until now.

Visited this place on Monday and after talking to the chap there enrolled Nok for this week (what the hell only £200 but only had to pay £100 deposit and balance due when get certificate ).

The information he gave me:
                  The course runs from Monday to Friday for 4 hours each day and you need to attend 20 hours.
                  The course is in Speaking and Listening (no written work at all) and during the week they run through what the test will consist of.
                  A test (administered by a person from the Home Office) is taken on the Friday.

If they pass the test they get an accredited ESOL Sfl qualification that is accepted by the Home Office in place of the "Life in the UK test". They are also given a letter confirming that the course was delivered using approved citizenship material from the ESOL pack produced by the Home Office.
                  (If they do not pass the test then they can attend as many exams as they want, for no further cost, until they pass ).

If I remember correctly the percentage for each section is:
                  10% - Personal Information - Talk about yourself, where you are from, married etc. etc.
                  40% - Telling a story - Talk for 2 minutes about any subject
                  20% - Role play - Act out buying something from a shop, visiting the Doctors etc. with another member of the class.
                  30% - Listen and answer - Tester tells a story and then asks questions about it.
                  The pass mark is 70%.

Nok has been there all week and today took the test from the "nice lady from the govament".
                  6 people sat in a room with the lady from the Home Office and the owner of the “school”. Each had to take turn giving their information and doing their talk and then paired off to do the roll play after that the lady read some information and then asked each of them a number of questions.
                  That’s it end of exam!!

We now have to wait until next week to find out if she has passed, although the owner said that he thought all of them did really well and believes they have all passed, I shall wait and see as all seems rather too easy compared to all the other things we have tried.
                  I will post the result as soon as we hear.

Comment

Sounds positive on the test - good luck

Does Nok have to prove progression from one level of ESOL to another also ?

Comment

Originally posted by ian:
                      Sounds positive on the test - good luck

Does Nok have to prove progression from one level of ESOL to another also ?
                      Cheers Ian

Apparently not, this is purely based on "if they can speak English, they pass".

Sounds crazy I know but as I said will wait and see. Maybe £100 wasted, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by John:
                        Gary, don't overlook that the city council's Adult Education Service runs courses. A number of the courses listed here might well contain the required ESOL/Citizenship content.
                        Hi John, thanks for the link but I got lots of "code" when I try it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary & Nok:

If I remember correctly the percentage for each section is:
                          10% - Personal Information - Talk about yourself, where you are from, married etc. etc.
                          40% - Telling a story - Talk for 2 minutes about any subject
                          20% - Role play - Act out buying something from a shop, visiting the Doctors etc. with another member of the class.
                          30% - Listen and answer - Tester tells a story and then asks questions about it.
                          The pass mark is 70%.

Hi Gary , how are you and Nok.

Looking at the percentages and things that they need to talk about , I wonder what happened to the "life in the uk" part of the test , as this is not reflected.
                          Colin & Ying

Comment

Hi Colin, yes both fine thanks, hope all of you are too. Must get that beer in before we go to LOS.

From what I gathered talking to the chap is that there is not really anything to do with "Life in the UK" in the way that the test Ying took.
                            It appears that there is this other way of obtaining ILR/Citizenship which is by showing that you can speak English (when not at a level to take the L in UK test) and believe me if this works then I will be more than happy (apart from the amount of money already spent on school, college and tests).

Comment

I am glad it looks like it is going to work out for you and Nok. I am still concerned about the course though, 20 hours? To learn sufficient language skills? I suppose (hope!) the length of the course will be determined by the language skills of the applicant when starting the course. That said, how do they deal with the 'life in the UK' content?

I do hope this is not another attempt at circumventing the requirements.
                              Tobias - โทเบียส

Comment

Working...
                              X