This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning english

My wife moved to the UK.Seven months ago,we have recently found out that,she will have to pass the UK residency test, before she is granted ILR.Because of the fact we live in a very rural setting in Scotland.(ie 60 miles from our nearest provider of coarses in Aberdeen).And that we live on a low income, plus we are about to make a visa application for a child from a previous marriage.We will not be able to afford the coarse fees required.
    This leave's us with the option of me teaching her English, to pass the test.Her understanding of English is very limitedk,as is mine being a Scotsman!.
    And I wonder if anyone else out there, could give us a hand, in finding for one the best books for me too teach English and for her to learn.
    Thanks to anyone that can help! It's nice to know were not the only ones out here,or is it there'.

ALAN AND URAIWAN!

My wife moved to the UK.Seven months ago,we have recently found out that,she will have to pass the UK residency test, before she is granted ILR.Because of the fact we live in a very rural setting in Scotland.(ie 60 miles from our nearest provider of coarses in Aberdeen).And that we live on a low income, plus we are about to make a visa application for a child from a previous marriage.We will not be able to afford the coarse fees required.
    This leave's us with the option of me teaching her English, to pass the test.Her understanding of English is very limitedk,as is mine being a Scotsman!.
    And I wonder if anyone else out there, could give us a hand, in finding for one the best books for me too teach English and for her to learn.
    Thanks to anyone that can help! It's nice to know were not the only ones out here,or is it there'.

ALAN AND URAIWAN!

Comment

Welcome Alan & Uraiwan, if you go to the log in page at the start you will see a link learn english click on the link and it will help you to find what you want, or click on the language section there is some usefull information there.
      dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Comment

hi alan, we bought some childrens books from charity shops and read together, i dont know how close you are to a library but thats another option you have to help uraiwan, its fun marriage is a 50/50 thing i'm sure she teaches you some thai.
        last but not least welcome both.

steve

Comment

Hi Alan
          Da was given a book from a friend which she finds very good. Essential grammar in Use (second edition) It is a Cambridge book. Its by Raymond Murphy. Da finds this book very helpfull, it teaches about verbs, tenses, adjectives ect. It has practice sections and is a self study or teaching based book. Da has had it for a year now and still makes good use of it, she knows more about verbs ect than i do..

good luck

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Sukanya:

Da was given a book from a friend which she finds very good. Essential grammar in Use (second edition)
            hi Alan we too have purchased this book on recomendation from the collage , and seems very good so far ,
            p.s wellcome to Thailand -UK
            cheers Andy

Comment

Ah, The Essential Book of Grammar by Raymond Murphy, the TEFL teachers' bible.

Yes, indeed it is an excellent book for learning grammar but not one that will keep her interest. She'll learn a lot quicker by reading magazines, newspapers and as suggested earlier children's books.
              Quite simply the best way to learn a language is to use it in real life. Have days or part of days when you will communicate only in English. Build up her confidence to speak in English when she is out, don't do it all yourself.

Anyway I'm sure you'll be fine and it'll be fun thing to do together.

Comment

Welcome Alan and Uraiwan!

Yes, the 'red Murphy' is the best one to buy.

(The cover is red, don't buy the blue Murphy or even worse the brown!)

But, as others have already said, study IS important but it's actually using the language that is most vital.

Alan, don't worry about mistakes, don't go too heavy on correction, don't concern yourself over much with grammar, the best thing you can do for her is give heaps of practice and praise and confidence building.

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                X