Internet speeds UK and Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a bit rain - Virgin internet was down again this morning :-

“Engineers are working to improve the system” blah blah.

The amount of time engineers are "working on the sysytem" you would at least think it could survive a rainy day. It does rain a lot in the UK.

Just looked at the "bundle bill" which is £48.97/ month. That includes a land line which is never used and "Talk Weekends" again never used. I f you try and lower your bill you end up talking with someone who has English as a second language and you basically get nowhere.
    Last edited by manfarang; 28 Oct 2020, 11:40.
    aka Spud

Comment

I think it depends as well on bandwidth for the area. My speed varied before lockdown dependant on time of day and weekends and I guess with many people at home using domestic internet including fibre it stretches the system. But I am not an engineer !
      Originally posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
      I have been having minor issues with Sky Broadband with working from home, on a good day I get 65Mbps download and 20Mbps upload, but other times such as now, 22Mbps down and 14.3 up.

I looked at 3 Home Broadband for Internet over 4G and thought that as I can get 80.8Mbps down and 93Mbps up on my Virgin 4G it would provide a great alternative, especially as the do an NHS deal at £17pm. It included a Huawei B535 router that I could use wherever my travels might take me. However when I first got it I located it in the room with the best 5 bar signal and the first test was 0.24Mbps down an 15Mbps up. Second test was 0.28 and 0. After just under 2 weeks of trying, the best results were 2.68Mbps down and 18.6 up. This was where I could get Virgin 4G at 80.8 and 93. 3 technical support did some further tests and tweaks and could not get any better speeds and so have agreed to cancel the contract and I am awaiting Jiffy bag to return the router in.

This is in the centre of Coventry and just shows how far behind we are with "normal" broadband providers compared to others, including Thailand.

I am still thinking about having Virgin in parallel to get a "backup" 100Mps over Fibre to the street, but this will involve paying an extra £27pm under the best deal, on top of the money paying to Sky, just so that I can have a "proper" connection as and when the others play up.

On a secondary note to the poor broadband, we were without water on Sunday in the City Centre too, the roads were all being dug up and potholed and so it really felt like being in Thailand about 20 years ago.
      - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Imagine lockdown before internet or even fast speed internet with slow and limited websites and no netflix and only live TV like strictly come dancing in the UK or a Thai episode with sword fighting in Thailand. Think half of us would be bonkers by now !

Comment

I think it depends as well on bandwidth for the area. My speed varied before lockdown dependant on time of day and weekends and I guess with many people at home using domestic internet including fibre it stretches the system. But I am not an engineer !
        I was really disappointed with 3, especially as I used to work for them and was part of the team setting up their IT systems before they went live in 2003. I initially thought it might be bandwidth saturation or router configuration, but regardless of location or time of night and day the download rates were dreadful, the upload, even though it failed a few times was far better, but less than Virgin 4G. They obviously still have far more work to do on their network and performance to make it viable, which is a great shame as it would have been ideal to have a high performance broadband that you could take wherever you go.

Comment

Originally posted by nickj1000 View Post
          Imagine lockdown before internet or even fast speed internet with slow and limited websites and no netflix and only live TV like strictly come dancing in the UK or a Thai episode with sword fighting in Thailand. Think half of us would be bonkers by now !
          A lot of us who were on the other side of the fence wished at times that there was no internet. With lockdown, also came one of the driest and warmest springs on record, which basically created a feeding frenzy for certain sectors.

Comment

Originally posted by galahad View Post
            I was talking generally James HKT about the comparative merits of the Uk as against Thailand.
            I realise that as a(presumably wealthy)ex-pat your garden will know doubt be rosy where ever you live.Most of the native population in Thailand will not have lives like yourself (or most of the Uk either).Although we do still have poor people.

Ha, I wish! I’m just a normal working Joe. In fact my income is only slightly higher than when I was in London, but my costs here are higher. Phuket ain’t cheap !

But to return to your point most Thai cites offer these high speeds, but not in the villages which shouldn’t be a surprise. Our mobile 4G networks however are far superior to the UK in terms of stability. So unless someone is deep in the jungle they should have access to decent speeds.

Comment

Working...
            X