Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best Thai Supermarket North of Leeds, South of Newcastle is...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best Thai Supermarket North of Leeds, South of Newcastle is...............

Not posted for a while.....still wallowing in my own glory of winning the Colin Premiership at the first attempt and drowning in Birra Morretti during quarantine

Anyway, now back in the UK after 3.5 years in the Netherlands....Thai wife in tow now also.....just for the record she pointed out to me what a poopie hole the UK looks like compared to the cleanliness of Netherlands, Germany and Belgium...to be fair she has a point, took me by surprise also!! . I'm sure my fellow compatriots will win her over though in due course....

So Supermarkets, anyone living in the Northern part of England recommend a decent shop or one that at least covers all her favourite cooking sauces, rice etc etc...

I've had a scour across Google Maps and a few have popped up....if you know these please chirp up...appreciate the feedback.

Nong Fern Thai - Leeds
    Nong Mai Thai - Hull
    Pear Thai - Sheffield
    Golden Pearl - Durham
    Bua Yai Thai - York

Tack Thai Food - Wigan, for when I commute to North Wales....

If you know any more 'Asian' Supermarkets that are worth a monthly trip, again, much appreciated. Ideally in the North, North East.
    "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

We live in Shropshire but when ever the Mrs wants to go to Cheshire Oaks shopping or we are visiting family in Flint N Wales we pop in here Home - RaanThai Oriental Supermarket 5 minutes from Cheshire Oaks up the M53 Junction 3 Prenton.

Comment

We use Pear Thai on a regular basis and they are never short of Thai products. We know the owner very well and I think she has started a delivery service, but not sure how far they will travel. Could find out if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz M View Post
        ....just for the record she pointed out to me what a poopie hole the UK looks like compared to the cleanliness of Netherlands, Germany and Belgium...to be fair she has a point, took me by surprise also!! .
        Well you know how the well known saying goes. It's grim up north.
        If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post

Well you know how the well known saying goes. It's grim up north.
          Thiz nowt wrong wit norf

Comment

We are down in Essex and have ordered from https://www.tackthaifood.com/

delivery in 2 days, needed Mae Rien for Som Tam

The supermarkets seem to do quick delivery services now, even fresh and frozen.
            แอนโธนี่

Comment

I've used Pear Thai in Sheffield and Nong Mai Thai in Hull.

Pear Thai is a bit bigger and has more of a selection but Nong Mai Thai has all the basics that you need too.

Pear Thai do deliver but when I got a delivery (a while ago during one of the lockdowns) we sent a list via the facebook messenger page, she totalled it up and then told us how much to pay.

Comment

We use the Asian supermarkets/shops around Newcastle, MA Brothers, Brighton Grove Store, all pretty much the west end of the toon. They're not Thai specific but do sell stuff like white egg plant, long beans, birds eye chillis etc, my wife likes to go every couple of weeks to stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Melteddrummer View Post
                  We use the Asian supermarkets/shops around Newcastle, MA Brothers, Brighton Grove Store, all pretty much the west end of the toon. They're not Thai specific but do sell stuff like white egg plant, long beans, birds eye chillis etc, my wife likes to go every couple of weeks to stock up.
                  Have used MA Brothers for a long time and find it very good for the basics you mentioned. Quite often get Mangosteen, Rambutan, Thai Guava and Custard Apple in but these tend to be very expensive. The Pakistani Alfonso Mango can be a good alternative to Thai Mango and go great with sticky rice. Also use Wing Hong but they have struggled with stock for well over a year now, finding empty shelves has become the norm.
                  As a result of the OP I visited Golden Pearl in Durham a couple of weeks ago, had never heard of it and was shocked to hear they have been open for well over 10 years. They are very much a Thai shop and, whilst maybe on the expensive side, they have just about everything you will be looking for. What they don't have they will get for you for the following week. I joked about getting me a bottle of Sang Som , she reached under the counter and with a shhhh pulled out a bottle hidden from view. haha
                  We'll never win the Premier League,
                  We'll never win a Cup,
                  We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

Originally posted by N Barton View Post

Have used MA Brothers for a long time and find it very good for the basics you mentioned. Quite often get Mangosteen, Rambutan, Thai Guava and Custard Apple in but these tend to be very expensive. The Pakistani Alfonso Mango can be a good alternative to Thai Mango and go great with sticky rice. Also use Wing Hong but they have struggled with stock for well over a year now, finding empty shelves has become the norm.
                    As a result of the OP I visited Golden Pearl in Durham a couple of weeks ago, had never heard of it and was shocked to hear they have been open for well over 10 years. They are very much a Thai shop and, whilst maybe on the expensive side, they have just about everything you will be looking for. What they don't have they will get for you for the following week. I joked about getting me a bottle of Sang Som , she reached under the counter and with a shhhh pulled out a bottle hidden from view. haha
                    Yeah, we use Wing Hong also, usually pop in on a Saturday morning while I’m dropping my wife at work in China Town. We were using the Golden Pearl for a while but we haven’t been for ages, always seem to forget about it🤷🏻‍♂️ I love the pork floss crisps they sell 🤤🤤

Comment

Originally posted by N Barton View Post
                      As a result of the OP I visited Golden Pearl in Durham a couple of weeks ago
                      Yeah we went there on the weekend, found it by complete accident. We were meant to go to Fanji Oriental Supermarket on the opposite side of the street....but as we were driving past looking for somewhere to park, Rose clocked it opposite so we ended up going there.....Agreed, a wee bit pricey....but offered enough to keep Rose happy.

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                      X